Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisa_z5

It's all about the Rain . . . and the RADAR

elisa_z5
8 years ago

A show of hands, who here is making plans to turn their garden into a rice paddy?!?

Anyway, since this seems to be the summer for many of us to garden between the rain drops, I thought I'd post a link to a website that has helped me immensely.

Example -- we had nearly 24 hours finally without rain, so the potato bed, which had yet to be hilled because of constant rain, had dried out. But today is 80% chance of rain, and when it started to sprinkle before I had a chance to start hilling, I might have given up. (Hey, NWS, you said no rain until noon!)

Clicked on the radar and it let me know that the sprinkle was a small patch, then I'd have a couple hours of dry, then a round of showers, followed by a dry spell, then rain all afternoon. So I hilled during the dry, came inside during first round of rain, when it's over I'll harvest kale, then hole up for the rainy afternoon and freeze kale.

Radar can help you plan your day! (or was that M.A.S.H.?)

Hope it helps.live weather radar

Comments (12)

• glib
    8 years ago

of course I watch radar all the time. I use the noaa.gov site which has local weather and local radar.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Haha!

The only problem with the summer weather is that it can be very unpredictable. Storms manifest rapidly and sometimes will give you as little as an hour notice on the radar. The good thing is that they typically don't last as long, but can pack a punch.

One thing that's nice to have(but can be expensive) is a little weather station. Some come with a rain bucket and will tell you how much rain has fallen, down to a hundredth of an inch. That can be valuable information for a gardener :-)

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    8 years ago

Actually, if you live in an urban neighborhood, someone one probably has a Weatherunderground station within a few blocks of you. I have three! So my rain gauge (as well as my thermometer and hygrometer) is on my computer.

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

Very true!

• catherinet
    8 years ago

Sometimes we get rain even when there's nothing on the radar! This is getting sooooo old. I'm not sure I'm going to get much of anything this year.......except for what I'm growing in my stock tanks. I've never had a year like this before. It was even easier when we were in a drought and I just watered every day. And the mosquitoes are unbearable. I ran out to plant a couple beans in one of my stock tanks, where I pulled the lettuce and bok choy out, and got eaten alive.
    I'm sad. :(

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

The last few years have been wacky. The saying used to be: "April showers bring May flowers." However, June is taking over that rainy role, at least in some parts.

One thing you could do is make sure there is no still-water laying around your property. That's breeding ground for the mosquitoes. Then maybe put up some bat houses :-)

Could be worse, imagine living in California or along the Colorado River. Maybe they can take some of our rain :-p

• catherinet
    8 years ago

Maybe the west will turn into a desert, and the rest of us will be the tropics? ;) I have several stock tank water gardens, but keep mosquito dunks in them. But I can't keep up with all the puddles in our 1/4 mile long drive! Plus, we have a huge creek that goes through our property and has flooded the lower land. It's just really strange to not be able to putter in my garden. I was looking at pics from my gardens in the past, and they were about 6 weeks ahead. I think my butternut squash plants will die.....among some others. Oh well.........go with the flow, right? (haha....the "flow" of water).........

• elisa_z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Could you get one of those hats with the netting that covers your face, put on long everything and gloves? Or do you have the kind of mosquitoes that bite right through your clothes?

I keep thinking this weather pattern has got to change soon! Hopefully it will, and all those skeeters will die.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    8 years ago

Drainage is my first consideration.

• booberry85
    8 years ago

I was thinking of planting kelp! Yup I watch the weather everyday! Sometimes I check it a couple times a day if storms are spotty. The last couple of Junes for us have been very wet. The vegetables are really struggling this year. The flowers and the perennials are hanging tough!

• Chris (6a NY)
    8 years ago

July and August should be better.