Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhanifan

My Ixora's Never Disappoint

jhanifan
8 years ago

I have had these for 10 years and they never disappoint. You will note 2 small holes in the hedge where I lost 2 bushes due to not covering them in a freeze we had a couple of years ago. Just love these "care free" plants.

Enjoy.

Jackie

Comments (13)

• jhanifan
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks Sylvia. I do very little with this hedge. It's hard to find a perfect time to prune them, for they literally bloom almost all year. Grabbled a couple of close up shots.

• katkin_gw
    8 years ago

Just lovely. They often send out suckers, so you could dig them up and replant in the holes you have. These are dwarfs, I have a full sized red one I trained to be a tree or a standard.

jhanifan thanked katkin_gw
  • jhanifan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks katkin_gw - tells you how little I do to these bushes. Never knew they had suckers. I just bought two smalls ones. They will catch up one day.

• katkin_gw
    8 years ago

Ok, that's good. You are right they will catch up quickly. :o)

jhanifan thanked katkin_gw
  • garyfla_gw
    8 years ago

Hi

They certainly flower don't they?? Have been wanting to add a couple to a shrub border but looking for a true deep red all I can find are the off colored ones. Another is the aromatic form anybody have experience with these or know a source?? Thanks gary

• katkin_gw
    8 years ago

I have had the dwarf in the orange, yellow and pink, I've never seen those in red. The pink never did well and died off quickly for me. The orange and yellow ones do fine. Now I have the large ones in red. I didn't know there was one with a fragrance. I'd love that too.

• yacheryl
    8 years ago

I have a white "Nora Grant" that is fragrant,

Bought it at last fall at Living Color Nursery down in Fort Lauderdale.

Not doing so well right now,

We have had way too much rain..............cheryl

• katkin_gw
    8 years ago

Oh Cheryl, I wish you could send some of that rain to PSL, we are so dry.

• laura1
    8 years ago

they sure have done some wonderful improvements from "the olden days". Your hedge is lovely Jackie.

jhanifan thanked laura1
  • Jeremy Millrood
    8 years ago

very nice..

jhanifan thanked Jeremy Millrood
  • jhanifan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments.

garyfla_gw(10 Florida) , After doing some research there are a couple that appear to be fragrant. Mine are not. Ixora odorata, Ixora hookeri. I am sure there are a few more out there.

This hedge (Ixora Coccinea) is grown on the west side of my house and receives about 5 hours of sun, from noon until 5. I did read - A common problem is our alkaline soils, especially near concrete and pools, causing poor health, poor foliage and poor blooming. Mine are planted right next to my concrete foundation. I am not going to tell them they shouldn't like where they are placed. Isn't it strange how some plants just work for some and not others. I cannot grow a Bougainvillea. I have tried 3 and killed 3. I refuse to kill another one.

I do have to cover them if the temps fall to 32 or below. Like I said in my original post, I lost a couple due to not covering.

Jackie

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    8 years ago

Beautiful!

jhanifan thanked bea (zone 9a -Jax area)