Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Why did i not know that i had plums growing on my tree! LOL

tlbean2004
8 years ago

So i have this bruce plum tree that i planted last september.

It is supposed to be self-unfruitful. And i dont have any other plum trees around. It flowered at the end of February and i saw little tiny plums but they all dropped off because they were not pollinated. (or so i thought)

I had looked at the tree many times and noticed how much it was growing in height and girth. I never saw any fruit. So today i was walking past it and i saw two purple balls and i almost broke my neck to do a double take! They are nested under the foliage.

To my amazement there were 2 plums growing. Since the tree flowered 4 months ago i guess they are ready to be picked?

Comments (7)

• larry_gene
    8 years ago

There are lots of prunus trees and pollen around. Here, even the decorative street tree prunus are dropping lots of fruit, some years there is none.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

I pick them when they come off the tree without any twisting or pulling. But they need to be eaten immediately.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i picked them off shortly after i posted this yesterday. And boy do they taste good! i tried to save a seed but when i used a tool to pry off the pit the seed went flying and i have no idead where it went. lol

• canadianplant
    8 years ago

I cant find any plums on my toka yet but same as you, i looked a bit later and found some. They didnt last on the tree though, I guess some birds got them. This year I cant see any at all, but the the tree had lots of flowers and is grown in well so its a mass of green.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

We inherited a plum tree when we bought this property. No clue what kind it is, and it may be just root-stock, but the plums taste really sweet and good! I let them get really dark purple and they fall into my hand. Yummmmm!

• fireballsocal
    8 years ago

Suzi, Santa Rosa is the predominant plum here in Southern California. While I'm no means certain yours is Santa Rosa, I'd say the odds are in your favor.