Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jendunaway

Awkward Side Gable New Construction... Is it too late?

Jen
8 years ago
We just started building & seeing the design come to life has me in a panic. I misread the rendering to be a "sectioned" view of the house & as it turns out, this is the actual side view of the house. It looks ok straight on but from any other angle it looks awful. Is there any way to adjust to the roof line to look less severe? It looks like half of a house!! Photos attached.... Is there anything that can be done?!

Comments (65)

• Architectrunnerguy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Like greenfish pointed out, as the house looks professionally designed (there's even part of a stamp in the corner of one drawing), probably a third party "wacked off the corner". Would love to know the history there.

My solution would not effect ceiling height, it would however effect the symmetry of the front.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

This could be the results of a land-shark attack.

• User
    8 years ago
    I think I'd wrap the deck around to the flat side, and add a pergola over the deck on the flat side, the pergola at a height that makes sense over the decking, and not the roof height. So you'd have 3 angles, one the roof line to the front, one the roof line to the back, and the third the pergola, at the same angle as the second roof, but lower. It is a bit edgy, but could work. Some French doors out to that side, the stairs repositioned, some landscaping, including a trellis on the side connected to the house and extending to the edge of the deck, could help disguise the "missing" part of the house.
  • User
    8 years ago
    I see you've said it's not to be quirky, but quirk is what adds charm. So try to think out of the box. A bit of quirk is good for the soul!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Here is an exterior decorating idea the could give an explanation of the house's form:

• Gloria Dahme
    8 years ago
    What part of the states are you in.? If you're in a part of the states that gets no I can see it building up behind there. I would definitely take care of this as soon as possible yes it might cost you a lot at the beginning but it will be well worth it. What's the inside design of the house? What is in that corner?
  • Gloria Dahme
    8 years ago
    I meant a lot of snow
  • PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    8 years ago
    This is incorrect and not right! I had a build design company and know my architecture and this is completely 100% wrong.
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

well, it may be visually wrong, but its what the plans showed and what was apparently signed off on.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

Could the main roof be extended over to that edge? There would then be a very large overhang, but it would shelter that side entrance. That may be what architectrunnerguy is suggesting above.

• greenfish1234
    8 years ago
    That would allow for a 2 story cathedral screened porch!
  • Architectrunnerguy
    8 years ago

No, 3 dogs, I'm suggesting two gables on that side of the house, a bigger one going front to rear and a smaller one going from front to the "slice". OTOH we could use your idea and make a gallows out of the back part to hang the designer!

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    This is what we'd be working around.
  • Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    & we have a 3rd floor... Thx for all the comments, I appreciate the sarcasm too. Could use a laugh.
  • lucidos
    8 years ago

In this age of 3D printers I can't believe you weren't offered a 3D model.

The path of least resistance would be a 3 level deck. Where the top most level a door is added to a Juliet type deck. The second level would be a larger wrap around to accommodate stairs but following the same contour and the lower deck enlarged, following the same curve with outside access to the second deck. The upper roofline "could" be extended over the top most portion in a pergola fashion. This would at least give credence to the roofline and cut portion without a total rework.

• Architectrunnerguy
    8 years ago

Well, with the advent of the third story, my double gable solution won't work. Maybe a shed roof but certainly not desirable.

Edit: Upon looking at it again the double gable still might work if the rear part of it is raised up enough to get the 6'8" headroom we'll need for the stair landing.

• greenfish1234
    8 years ago
    I am so sorry this happened to you. The average person is at the mercy of people who are destroying the landscape with these monstrosities. That third floor space could have been had in a much more aesthetically pleasing way by building over a 2 car garage and not taking that chunk out of your house. I am so glad you are keeping your sense of humor. You will get through this. I have had, and continue to have, some real whoppers on my project that have cost me tens of thousands, but in the end it will be worth it. This is a great community-I don't know what I would have done without the help (and humor) here!!
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Put some windows in the "Right Elevation"; in the Study, Living Room, Bedroom #3, Bath, and even the Walk In Closet. They don't have to be large.

Did you look in the dumpster? Maybe the rest of the house is in there.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lol
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

oh gosh mark, too funny.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

One relatively minor area of concern is in the front elevation where the left side of the left bump out meets the slope of the roof over the garage. There appears to be a small area where snow, ice, water, and/or debris could collect and cause a leak problem over time. On the elevation it is noted to build a "4/12 min. roof cricket", but it is an area where an ice & water shield should be widely used under the roof shingles and flashing under the siding.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Mark!
  • PRO
    rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
    8 years ago

Maybe have them build a wood (post/beam) structure (like an exoskeleton, if you will) in that 'empty' right side which will mimic your left side... kind of like a positive/negative space? Than it will look as an intended design element vs something that looks missing? Maybe even gain you a 'terrace' from second/third floor? Maybe re-grade that side to put in a patio out the family room? If done right should look cool and be fairly inexpensive compared to re-building that whole side. Otherwise a nice home, congrats!

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

i agree with rgk designs. it will look like it is supposed to be there. and add more windows to that elevation.

• lucidos
    8 years ago

You could always add a turret.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

dang, i should have thought of that.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks rgk! Love post and beam... Could work and be one of the more affordable suggestions made, thank you.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    8 years ago

Or, if you live up north, your neighborhood could host some winter games with your house being the ski jump venue.

Ok, back to something constructive...... thought about it some more and to give headroom in that stair landing here's another way to possibly configure the roof. Still messes up the front a little bit but it might be "the lesser of two evils" (gable could be in place of the shed roof)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

ARG, I like the last solution. The way the dormer ties into the roof on the right over the second floor bedroom #3, then jumps up over the stair. If I ever grow up I want to design like you.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Is it too late to reduce the width of the second floor Hall? Last time I designed a corridor that wide it was for people that wore masks and sock over their shoes.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I work for a hospital, ha. The hall will be hardwood & I'll add a bench/console & mirror. I dislike skinny hallways ; )
  • drbarb03
    8 years ago
    Oddly enough I saw a partial roof design like this on a drive through a high-end lake-front area tonight. The difference was that there was more house on that side such that it did not leave the "half house" impression yours gives.
  • summery
    8 years ago
    If it's any comfort, I see rooflines and awkward demi-walls like that here in Canada all the time. In sprawling subdivisions, mostly, where the houses are a lot less handsome than yours will be, OP!
  • PRO
    Ellen Kryger Interiors
    8 years ago
    Easy fix and the least inexpensive option have the contractor remove the awkward peak and match the roof line to the back of the house. Plans need to be redrawn with revision.
  • PRO
    Cusano Construction Company Inc.
    8 years ago

1 word. WOW!

• User
    8 years ago

First ring your lawyer. Don't say or sign anything until then.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Met w/our builder ... Plans are currently being redrawn to improve this right-side situation!
  • Architectrunnerguy
    8 years ago

Great! What did they decide to do?

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'll post drawing when we get it today... Proposed a dormer to remove the harsh corner & a covered side porch that connects to the deck to fill in the blank space on the side.
  • Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks all for the comments, support & humor... I'm happy w/the new drawing, adds character & won't throw us too far off schedule!
  • tippie64
    8 years ago
    Looks better!
  • Kendra Harris
    8 years ago
    How about treating it like an addition and just continue like it should be. Pour the missing foundation and get a few bonus rooms.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Add small awning windows in the large expanse of wall.

• Jen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We've maxed out the budget… The only thing left is a lot of landscaping!!!! Will put a big tree there!!
  • Najeebah
    8 years ago
    you've made the stumble part of the dance :)
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Those budgets always screw things up!

• lucidos
    8 years ago

Put in a flat roof over the wrap around you can add a walk out deck from the second floor at a later date easily and it would serve as 3rd floor egress.

• PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    8 years ago
    so sorry to see these things happen to good folks.
  • Thecrazeecow
    7 years ago

I would extend the roofline down and add covered balconies underneath

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

Since this thread was resurrected anyway, Jen, how did the place turn out?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations