Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sutekesh

Rooting and Grafting roses - results

s
8 years ago

My rooted cuttings are starting to bloom!

Rooting - highest success with minis and floribundas. Out of the 30 odd HT cuttings only two of the same variety rooted and are now blooming.

HT Florist Rose - rooted 14 December 2014

Florist Spray Rose - rooted 14 December 2014

Mini Grocery store roses - rooted 20 Jan 2015

Have had much better success rate with HT when they are grafted onto a rootstock cane. I did multiple grafts with nearly 100% success rate.

All these grafts were done on 5 May 2015 and now two months later, they are starting to bloom. I tried one chip bud which took but broke off in the storm we had two days ago. The bond doesn't seem as strong as a T-Bud graft.

Comments and questions welcomed

Sharlene

Comments (14)

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Wow very cool Sharlene! So do you root the rootstock first and then bud, or bud and root? I tried rooting some DR HUEY a few months ago, but had not luck. I haven't had much time to try it again tho. I wish I could just buy bundles of already rooted rootstock to try budding. I guess that would be too easy tho, huh? LOL

• s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beth, the tall canes are suckers from a standard that died a couple of winters ago. I air-root and bud for standards in the same year and remove the canes in November and overwinted in the shed. But for the shrubs, I ordered already rooted rootstock, they costs next to nothing and it is much easier and quicker!

Sharlene

• roseseek
    8 years ago

Well done, Sharlene! Congratulations!

• s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Kim. By the way the climber that I grafted is about to flower.

Just about finished with my grafting for this year. I have three rootstock left and am hoping to graft some of my own seedlings from last year - just waiting for some good budwood.

Sharlene

• roseseek
    8 years ago

You're welcome! How neat! It will be great fun seeing your successes, good luck!

• bluegirl_gw
    8 years ago

Those are beautiful! You need to teach a course!

• John A
    8 years ago

I have a rose that was originally Queen Elizabeth, but has reverted to Dr. Huey now. The Dr. Huey is very vigorous. Can I now graft another cutting onto that same root stock? If so, how low should I make the graft?

John A

• s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

John, I am no expert but if I was you I would try. I think it would depend on how old your rootstock is and how thick the bark is. If you can lift the bark to slip in the budeye it should take. You will have to graft just above the roots otherwise you will still have Dr. Huey suckers.
    Maybe someone with more experience can comment.

Sharlene

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

Can you explain yor process for grafting? I've had luck with chip budding, but not grafting :(

• s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chip budding and T-budding are methods of grafting so you have already done grafting. There is a lot information on grafting methods on the internet - have a look at Paul Barden's page Old Garden Roses and Beyond - the article explains it much better than I ever could.

http://www.paulbardenroses.com/graftingtips.html

• John A
    8 years ago

Sharlene - Thanks for finding my original post and your reply. It looks like I have more studying to do, but worth pursuing.

• John A
    8 years ago

Thanks Sharlene. The article on the Paul Barden site was interesting and helpful.

• s
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's a pleasure - wish you luck and keep us posted

Sharlene

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio