Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wncang

Dress up home's exterior with window trim?

wncang
8 years ago

My son is a single dad and has been going through some tough times. Today we placed this house under contract. Our son will rent the house from us at a reasonable price, and perhaps some day be able to purchase the house. Our hope is this will allow him and our granddaughter a brighter future.

The trim obviously need painting. Other than that, would you do anything to pretty up the exterior? I'm focusing on the windows. Would adding window trim help the home's aesthetics? I don't want the facade to look too busy, or look like we are trying to make the facade look fancy. Any suggestions? My husband and son are handy, and could probably do the work themselves. Thanks so much.

Something like this for trim?

Comments (23)

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

How about a simple pediment for the door?

I like your example of window trim.

wncang thanked emmarene9
  • wncang
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, and the door isn't red. Its actually crayola orange. I'm partial to red doors, and would probably paint it a deep red. However, I'm open to other colors also. I think the house wants to be a colonial when it grows up.

Beverly, I like the shutters, but wonder if they would look too busy on this particular house.

I like the pediment idea, but have have a difficult time with visualization.

Thanks for the great ideas.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

IMO simply putting trim on these windows is comparable to adding lip gloss on your face. Adding shutters is like adding lipstick. Your type of home often has shutters.

Don't think there's any room for a pediment, unless you add an overhang and supports.

wncang thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

I would do a white door and black shutters. It's classic with the brick.

I like red doors too, just not with red brick.

Eventually you can redo the landscaping.

To be honest, even if you just left it the way it is, it's a really nice house. And more than acceptable!

It's so nice that you are able to give your son the support that he needs at this time.

wncang thanked eld6161
  • theclose
    8 years ago

I like Beverly's mock up with the shutters. Nice house!

wncang thanked theclose
  • stolenidentity
    8 years ago

No shutters! I like your example of window trim in the first post as emmarene said. Maybe window boxes under the uppers. Nice house, and what a what a nice thing to do for your son and granddaughter wncang :)

wncang thanked stolenidentity
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I also like Beverly's mock up with the shutters. If you would also paint the siding something other than white, I think you'd see an enormous difference. I don't see window trim adding much of anything.

wncang thanked k9arlene
  • stir_fryi SE Mich
    8 years ago

I like the shutters too. Also good for you -- my parents did a similar thing for my sister when she was a young, divorced mother -- it allowed her to get a "leg-up" -- she went to nursing school, found a nice guy and remarried! It also gave my nephew a nice, stable childhood.

wncang thanked stir_fryi SE Mich
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

I'd do new window trim, painted either white or black. The example trim you posted is perfect. No shutters.

Black front door, brass knocker, and new exterior lantern lights.

You are very sweet to help your son & granddaughter. I hope they are very happy there.

wncang thanked jlc712
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

I hate the scary eyeballs at the top of the door. Is it a window?

wncang thanked emmarene9
  • wncang
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks guys for your suggestions and kind words. My son's wife divorced him. It was nasty. She has gone on to reinvent herself (her own words). He has joint custody of my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, my only grandchild. He lives 7 hours away from us and has no family nearby. My heart breaks for him and my granddaughter. It truly is like a death in the family. My husband and I are in our 50's and still work, so our time in their city is limited. Rent is so expensive in his area. Without our help, he would be subject to live in very unsavory conditions. He said he didn't even dream of a house, because it was something unobtainable.

The house is in a subdivision of similar homes. Streets have sidewalks, and it appears there are lots of kids around. Perfect for a young family. He can have a grill, my granddaughter can have a swing set.

I will pour over all the suggestions. K9Arlene, unfortunately, we cannot paint the siding. It is vinyl.

Emmarene, I didn't notice the eyeballs! It's windows, must be for light at that height.

• graywings123
    8 years ago

Even if shutters are stationary, I feel they should be large enough and placed so that they look like they could close in and cover the window. I would vote no to shutters and yes to the OPs idea of enhancing the trim. But the upper windows are set so high that there may be difficulty in the size of the trim piece on top.

While I like the idea of window boxes, they become a maintenance issue. I would guess that right now, additional house maintenance is not something your son needs. You can do nice things with flowers on the ground.

A brick house in my neighborhood has a lovely little portico over the door with a curved front. Maybe a trellis up the side of the garage with roses on it?

wncang thanked graywings123
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here's the house with black shutters and black door.

wncang thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • User
    8 years ago

I vote NO to shutters. It doesn't seem like there is enough room to do shutters right. There wouldn't be (enough) room between them to look balanced.

The house looks nice as is. I like the idea of the upgraded trim, but agree it wouldn't stand out too much on top.... At least, it wouldn't in photos.

wncang thanked User
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

The great thing about the shutters is that they break up all of that white siding. It appears to me that there's enough room for shutters.

wncang thanked k9arlene
  • Olychick
    8 years ago

I really like the look of the shutters that Beverly mocked up. Some people are sticklers for shutters needing to at least look like they could close, but shutters in so many cases are just "window dressing" like hanging stationary draperies to the interior of windows. They don't have to be functional or even look it and add some interest and a place for color. What a lucky man your son is that you can help him and his daughter have a suitable home. I hope they are happy there.

wncang thanked Olychick
  • lizzierobin
    8 years ago

I also like the look of the shutters, and Olychick is right, they do not need to look like they would close. I love the black shutter mockup Beverly did, but instead of a black door, I would do the red door you were thinking about. The trim around the windows would look good, if you could figure out a color that would make the trim pop, since white would make it blend in with the siding. Good luck!

wncang thanked lizzierobin
  • wncang
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think we will measure for shutters. I'm still concerned it might look too crowded with shutters, but a tape measure should help with that. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I' ve always struggled with visualization. Inspection is this weekend. I hope all goes well.

• Houseofsticks
    8 years ago

Can you take a picture of the whole front (including roof and yard)? I'm thinking remove the briar berry plant and add some plant height to the long walk wall maybe some cool/funky address numbers on the small brick space to the right of the entry and a small bench/seating area for both to enjoy. Congratulations on being able to help your son and granddaughter. I'd replace the wood trim around the windows with thicker wood as it looks like it may need some repair.

wncang thanked Houseofsticks
  • User
    8 years ago

I like the look with shutters. I like the black with black door or black with a red door would look nice.

wncang thanked User
  • wncang
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We will take more photos this weekend. Yes, I'm pretty sure the current trim needs some repair. Thanks again

• busybee3
    8 years ago

good luck this weekend!

definitely looks nice with shutters-- shutters can be decorative and will add a lot! shutters will look more appropriate for that house than decorative window trim!