Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elmbelle

Lavender and Lavender Cotton from cuttings.

Erin Powell
8 years ago

I keep hearing over and over how easy it is to propagate these plants from cuttings, but so far, I'm having very little luck. Most of the cuttings will look great for a couple weeks and then start to wilt and eventually turn dark and die.

I noticed that root rot can be an issue, and so I've stopped keeping them covered - I mist them occasionally and check the soil. Light: I've tried by a shady northern window, on our kitchen table (some defused afternoon and more direct evening sun), and now I've set up a grow light station in a guest room. Heat index is in the 100s outside, so keeping them outdoors isn't really an option.

The cuttings are new green growth, the soil I'm using is a miracle grow potting mix (water control variety). To my understanding it is a soilless mix, which I've read is recommended. I'm using rooting hormone, removing the bottom sets of leaves, etc... everything by the book as far as I can tell.

I feel like I've read everything there is to read and am trying things differently. Maybe a different growing medium? I was hoping to not spend a whole lot more money on this (the whole point of me propagating from cuttings is to save me money), but any help or advice is appreciated.

Not ready to give up yet, but feeling pretty defeated :(

Comments (4)

• fatamorgana2121
    8 years ago

Daisyduckworth always used to give advice for starting lavender from cuttings. Look through back posts for it.

FataMorgana

• darlene87
    8 years ago

I usually do cutting in fall, the green growth has hardened then. Do not take if it is flowering, as it may be too tender. I have done over a hundred cuttings, with great results. I do not do rooting hormones, just take cuttings, and stick them in the garden soil, have not used bagged soils for them. The temp. should be cooler also, or they wilt, thus fall is best. It is not as hot here, but I keep them in the shade under apple and fir trees. In cold winter, I just move them to a more sheltered place from drying wind, I put mine under a huge yew tree.

Darlene

• Erin Powell
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Darlene! Everything I've read has said to take the new tender growth, so that's interesting. I will try taking some more hardened growth next... I'll try anything at this point. It looks like, out of at least 28 cuttings, I may have one survivor holding on... so... progress? Not exactly the 90% success rate that everyone talks about :(

Ultimately, I'm hoping for about 4 or 5 Lavender Cotton plants to fill in one space of my garden and 4 more of my Munstead Lavender to finish out a small hedge.

Definitely too hot to try and root them outside right now - though I did try it for some of the lavender cotton (it was doomed from the start). I've been hoping that starting indoors will have more success - I'm also going to try a lighter seed starting mix next instead of the potting soil. I will try a few out in the garden soil this fall to see how they do. I've got a few more sheltered places in the garden where they may survive.

When they do finally root outside, do you dig them up and move them, or are you rooting them in small pots outside that can be moved around?

• darlene87
    8 years ago

I put them in pots until they have good roots, about 6 mo. Don't take cuttings with the hard brown wood, that is too old. Just above it would be fine. I have never used special soils, the one in the veggie garden works well. When I prune lavender, just can't toss out the cuttings. I put them in pots, also some right in the flower bed and the only problem is to find new homes for them. All my neighbors and friends have more than they need. I am sure Youtube will have directions on this subject. Now to dispose of 3 huge coffee cans full of lavender flowers. JUst went to the lavender festival in squiem, wa. and came home with 2 new plants and more ideas of using the flowers.

darlene