Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter1242

Jet Star

Peter (6b SE NY)
8 years ago

Are these really indeterminate? They are almosy identical to the Sweet Tangerine determinates planted next to them - compact, 3 feet tall and loaded with fruit. They are even ripening at the same time as the Sweet Tangerine. Are the going to fizzle out after this round of fruit? Not that I would need more after all of these!

Comments (8)

• billyberue
    8 years ago

My Jet Star plants keep producing all season. They may not be my favorite tomato taste-wise, however pretty good, but they are one of the earliest arrivals and the best producing and healthiest of my 23 varieties. I grow them every year because of that.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I grew them because they are low acid, which is easier for the stomach.

Do yours stay small and compact also?

• billyberue
    8 years ago

Like a baseball.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I mean the plants, not the fruit. The fruit seem pretty standard globe fruit.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Jet Star is one of the varieties we grow every year for early Farmer's market sales as their slicer size and appearance is popular with the public. And yes it is an indeterminate and no, they aren't small and compact plants IME. Not as big as some indeterminates but they fill out and top the 2.5x5' CRW cages the boys use in the commercial garden. Average 6-7 feet tall and 2.5-3' wide when un-pruned and when planted in-ground.

Dave

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmm... maybe they will start growing again after they finish ripening all the fruit they set. I have over 100 fruit on 6 3' high Sweet Tangerine and Jet Star plants.

They are not in the sunniest spot in the garden, less than ideal.

• PupillaCharites
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I can only tell you what I've surfed the internet to find out in the last months (JS is in my starts and just has two seed leaves getting ready for this autumn). Next season I'll know if you want to wait on my reply :-) I understood Jet Star F1 hybrids are fairly compact indeterminates: meaning depending on the nutrition they can easily be more than 6 feet tall, but not 10 feet tall which is what I usually get to when it is time to pull indeterminate plants here. Cherokee Purple is also fairly compact for me and doesn't make more than 6-8 feet, so that is my going equivalent for Jet Star.

6-7 feet is the threshold for me to plant in two different setups I'm using, so I did my best to estimate that mine would likely make that based on the comments of other growers, all second hand so I'd be interested to hear these comments since it is currently set to go to the "talls" place which is in higher demand and much more costly space-wise for me.

There are several JS fans who have grown it for many years who post here so hopefully we can hear from one or two of them. I notice JS seems especially popular in the midwest but not much around about how it does with heat set and in Florida (which is why it is on my short autumn season's list) I noticed Bonnie Plants says 4-5 feet which I kind of ignored since their numbers seem to always underestimate height to make the plants more attractive to three prong Big Box store cages.

Cheers

PC

EDIT, I didn't see digdirt's post made just before mine nor see Peter's followup, and also thank them for making timely posts which are very helpful here too :-)

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The thing is that Determinant is a certain growth habit and cluster formation. So you might get a det bigger than a certain indet variety.

Listen to this : there are dwarfs that are indeterminant.

I am growing couple of Willamette, eg. They are DET but taller than some of my INDETs.

I hope I have not confused you more than you needed. hehe

And listen to what PC said : (quote)

"""they can easily be more than 6 feet tall, but not 10 feet tall"""

Thank you PC for clearing up the determinant definition. hahaha

Sey