Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_lo

Angel Red Pomegranate in North Carolina

Ryan
8 years ago

Zone 7 Experience? is it worth it? better varieties? Cold protection? has is been producing for you? Thanks Much!

Comments (11)

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am not sure, but Pomegranates grow really well in coastal Southern California (i.e. within 15-25 miles of the coast). We have a Mediterranean climate.

Commercially pomegranates are one of the most lucrative fruits now, but unfortunately the land in this region has become overpopulated and very expensive, and the agricultural land has been turned into developments.

• Ryan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Angle Red is a newer variety that is supposed to be hardy to zone 7 while also reported to have excellent quality fruit. I have always had the desire to grow pomegranates and was hoping this variety was the one I have been waiting for.

• trianglejohn
    8 years ago

After mine froze back to the ground twice! and one of the times it wasn't even that cold of a winter, I dug it up and keep it in a pot in the greenhouse. It is having fruit for the first time in 5 years this summer. One tiny fruit. It better taste good.

I'm in Raleigh NC (zone 7b) and the last two winters have been harsh enough to damage most of my pomegranates. I find that in my yard the only truly hardy ones are smaller bushes with smaller fruit that it almost too sour to eat. 'Russian' has performed the best out of all the larger fruited types but even it died back a lot last winter.

• Ryan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's sort of what I thought. After last winter I don't really want to risk it. They may be technically hardy as in they may hang on to life in zone 7 in most cases but producing quality fruit is entirely different. I have one but was thinking about putting it in the ground. Ill just keep it in the GH. Any issues with pollination? I only have a single tree, I believe they are self pollinating - that is correct right?

• backyardgardener26
    8 years ago

I had an Angel Red pomegranate that died on me over the winter, I'm in Virginia zone 7. I did get fruit off of it last year and can tell you it was the best tasting pomegranate I've had. Definitely worth growing in my opinion, I am planning on buying another next year and keeping it in a pot and storing it in the garage along with the figs during winter. The tree must be self pollinating because I had no other pomegranates, but it might be more productive with a cross pollinator.

Matthew

• trianglejohn
    8 years ago

My neighbor has one of the heavy blooming but non-fruiting types so all of mine get cross pollinated by it. I have no idea if they require cross pollination for fruit.

• mister_guy
    8 years ago

I bought two 2 foot whips and planted one in my mom's yard and one in my yard. She's down in Fayetteville and I'm in Raleigh. Neither survived our winter last year, and the only other new trees I lost were a nectarine that had some black funkiness around the graft knuckle and an almond that sprouted but burned back and died after the weird first spring and subsequent frost.

I wasn't super impressed, as the two random decorative pomegranates, and the "wonderful" pomegranate I planted with them got about half destroyed by my dogs and still woke up. I have grow at about the same rate and habits as my crepe myrtles.

I may try again with a spring planted pomegranate. Everything else seems to prefer being planted early fall in my yard.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You might put a plant cover over it in the winter, for the first 2 or 3 years, until it gets established.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Ryan, whatever happened to your promegranate? I just bought one and planted it in a whiskey barrel right next to my house. I thought of leaving it outside, but maybe it would die here. Do you think if I put Christmas lights around it and the pot, it may survive the winter? I guess in a pinch I could drag it inside in the dead of winter...

• fruitlovernc7b8a
    7 years ago

I have been growing Eversweet, Kashmire Blend, Sweet, and Wonderful pomegranite bushes 10 years. never got any fruit off of them. They freeze back every year. I had tried putting a wire cage with heavy blanket around them last winter, but still mostly froze back to ground except part of the Kashmir.

Heard from a VA grower that Salavatska Russian can fruit in zone 6, so bought it last year. It actually bloomed this year, only 1.5 years old. So I'm hoping!