Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine_1621

before and after update!

Many of you guys were so helpful with my rock border landscape troubles. I'm now much happier with how it looks so I figured I'd post and see what you all think (I used many of your ideas). Of course, I'm always looking for more suggestions, so I'm all ears. A gardeners work is never done, after all (you know this).

Before:

Before:

Before:

AFTER: REMOVED HONEYSUCKLE, HOSTA, AND IVY. ADDED ANOTHER STELLA D'ORO, HEUCHERA, HOSTA, PAINTED FERN. ALSO REMOVED SOME OF THOSE TREE LIMBS THAT WERE BLOCKING THE HOUSE VIEW.

AFTER: A MORE CLOSE-UP VIEW

AFTER: CLOSE-UP VIEW

Before: blanket flowers, lamb's ear, sonic bloom weigela, yellow loosestrife

AFTER: REMOVED BLANKET FLOWERS, LAMB'S EAR, WEIGELA. PUT IN BOBO HYDRANGEA ON EITHER SIDE OF POW WOW CONEFLOWERS. ALSO HAVE 3 SMALL VERONICA GEORGIA BLUE SPOTTED ALONG THE EDGE.

AFTER: CLOSE-UP VIEW

Comments (14)

• Lauren W. (z5b - CNY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Before: (next to boxwood there is sweet woodruff, and sedum)

AFTER: TOOK OUT SOME OF THE SWEET WOODRUFF, PUT IN BLACK EYED SUSANS AND DIANTHUS. MOVED SEDUM TO OPPOSITE EDGE OF THE BED (TOP RIGHT)

Before: view of sedum along horizontal rock ledge

AFTER: REMOVED SEDUM, PUT IN A ROW OF ROZANNE GERANIUM

Before: what a terrible sight lol

AFTER: REMOVED THOSE HEINOUS SANDCHERRIES!! YEY! REPLACED WITH 3 SPILLED WINE WEIGELA AND 5 PLUMBAGO (I JUST LOVE THE FLOWER COLOR ON THESE!)

• Lauren W. (z5b - CNY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Before: sandcherries, azalea

Before: close-up of azalea

AFTER: REMOVED AZALEA WHICH WERE UNHEALTHY ANYWAY, REPLACED WITH 2 SUNDROP SPIREA AND 3 DAYLILY

AFTER: VIEW OF BACK EDGE

VIEW OF OTHER SIDE OF STEPS, THIS WAS REDONE LAST YEAR BUT I REMOVED THE COOL SPLASH DIERVILLA FROM LAST YEAR AND REPLACED WITH BUTTERFLY BUSHES

ROSE GLOW BARBERRY, BUTTERFLY BUSH, PEONY TREE IN THE BACK (EXISTING)

that's all! I think it's a big improvement, but I'm always looking on ways to have it be even better. What do you think?

Next project: edging and those heinous evergreens by the front window!

Thanks everyone for your help!! :) :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

Wow! You've been busy getting it like-u-like-it. Great job!

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

Looks great! I remember reading your previous post (although I don't think I commented) and it is always enjoyable to see the changes. They will fill in nicely.

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked posierosie_zone7a
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    8 years ago

Nice job, I think it looks much improved! One thing which really impresses me is how you clump things up nicely so they don't all look so 'lost', I tend to put in one of everything and it becomes a hodge podge.

i think you'll be even more impressed in another two years when things settle in a bit. Also I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of your 'heinious' evergreens, they do add some generic mass of green which balances the other plantings... Or at least I think so... Sometimes if something just bothers you it just keeps bugging you till you get rid if it!

was there any particular reason you got rid of 'cool splash'? I was eyeing it last year and the straight species is supposed to be trouble-free so....

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Thanks for coming back and letting us see what you ended up with. I love seeing follow-up posts.

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • sunnyborders
    8 years ago

Very nice.

I too really like to see the before and after contrast.

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked sunnyborders
  • Lauren W. (z5b - CNY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

katob - yes, I am a tad impatient but I can't wait to see what it all looks like filled in! I know what you mean about hodge-podge, I used to do the same thing...

I'll keep that in mind about the evergreens, maybe I can just trim them back a little.

regarding the cool splash, beautiful shrub, but we had an awful, snowy winter and I think they just got pounded to death. The branches are pretty fragile, kept breaking on me when trying to plant but the 2 survivors I put in another spot in the backyard where they'll be a little better protected. We'll see how they do there...

• Lauren W. (z5b - CNY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Babs - I bought Tracy DiSabato-Aust's book like you suggested. Only read a bit so far...

Sometimes it pains me to pick it up because I get all these ideas and want to re-do everything at once lol, her pictures inspire me!

• Lauren W. (z5b - CNY)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

1 last thing! I know I was questioning the invasive quality of the honeysuckle in my previous post, well I went to explore my yard and sure enough I had 4 honeysuckle growing! So long, they're gone now :)

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

Very dignified. Thanks for posting. Pictures are worth 1,000 words and we all live through your remodel and remake!

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 years ago

Looks great! I read and posted on your previous post and had to see what you did I your yard. Maybe post again next year at this time!

sherry

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    8 years ago

Your hard work paid off! It will be gorgeous in the years to come...please be sure to share :)

Lauren W. (z5b - CNY) thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5