Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenns54

Anyone seen or did/had done a 24" wall cabinet with a bump out an up?

8 years ago

Hi

were planning our kitchen and wanted to be able use a 24 wide 36 high
15 deep corner cabinet. Would the door be to small and look odd? a
picture would be nice.

Thank you

Glenn

Comments (28)

• 8 years ago

I have a cabinet just like that. It is completely inconvenient. The door doesn't look particularly small but that's because when you look at it you don't realize how little and odd the space is behind it. It's a really worthless cabinet. I think you should post your plans and see if people can design something better.

Glenn thanked practigal
  • 8 years ago

Is this an upper? (sorry if that's a stupid question) and does it wrap around the corner or just go into the corner.

Glenn thanked blfenton
  • 8 years ago

yes upper wall corner into the corner

• 8 years ago

I could be wrong but in my mind a corner wall cabinet is the
    least used. The one currently have now is a 24x12x30” used for display with
    glass doors. Two of the designers we went to said a 27w 15d 42h is the way to
    go.

My thought was to try
    and design the kitchen with a corner wall of 24w 15d 42h. This would give me an additional 3” in each of
    the other cabinets next to it and the matching cabinets on the other side of
    both the stove and window.

• 8 years ago

Make it a 24" wide x 36" tall x 15" deep easy reach - problem solved! (Assuming it's not the only cabinet on either wall...then it would look odd.)

An easy reach cabinet has a 90-degree angle rather than a diagonal door. It gives you full access to everything. Upper diagonal cabinets are probably the most difficult to use for most people. (The door is usually a "piano hinge" door but it could also be two doors meeting in the corner with the hinges on the outside walls.)

Glenn thanked Buehl
  • 8 years ago

• 8 years ago
    Glenn thanked Buehl
  • 8 years ago

Above is the corner cabinet I was asking about. I was wonder if the door looked a little odd being smaller then a 27" wide cabinet.

• 8 years ago

How high are your ceilings?

I would eliminate the varied heights and go all the way to the ceiling. You gain more storage and eliminate some cleaning. Cabinets that do not go to the ceiling collect a lot of dust on top and have to be periodically cleaned.

Glenn thanked Buehl
  • 8 years ago

I'd make them all the same height too, at least the height of the taller ones if not to the ceiling. The width of the door would be fine except that the height makes it look skinny.

Glenn thanked Fori
  • 8 years ago

My kitchen in my previous home (remodeled in 2005-06) looked very much like your picture. I think the varied heights are out of style and make the kitchen looked dated even before you start. On top of that, the corner cabinet was the very least useful cabinet in the entire kitchen, since you can easily reach only what's in the front.

• 8 years ago

We have 9 foot ceilings

Varied height cabinets are now out of style sjhockeyfan325 ?

Can someone else chime in on this quote please?

• 8 years ago

Staggared height cabinetry is considered dated, yes. If you want the extra depth corner to add interest, then it needs to be the 27'' width.

Glenn thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's correct - varied height cabinets are outdated right now.

Don't feel bad - I have them, so my kitchen is outdated! I was told by my KD that I had to have them staggered b/c I have 12" deep and 15" deep cabinets next to each other and that was the only way to make the crown molding work (plus my kitchen was planned in 2007.) If I had it to do over - I would have all upper cabinets 15" deep and all to the ceiling.

Glenn thanked Buehl
  • 8 years ago

With 9' ceilings, you can have cabinets a nice height and still have room for crown molding. With my 8' ceilings I was stuck with 36" tall cabs - I would have really liked cabs at least 42" tall!

Glenn thanked Buehl
  • 8 years ago

Those are usually 27 inches wide like an earlier poster stated. In my opinion these taller/deeper corner cabinets really impart the look of a late 1990s upscale builder special kitchen. The extra space is useless. If you want useable space go with a 24 or 27 inch corner cabinet with hinged doors similar to what is used for lazy susan base cabinets. If you can swing it definitely go all the way to the ceiling with split doors...this gives the kitchen a very clean and high end look. With 9 foot ceilings you will need 48 inch uppers which should leave 6 inches for crown.

Glenn thanked malba2366
  • 8 years ago

I dislike piano hinge or folding type doors on a corner wall or lazy susan.

• 8 years ago

Glenn, I too dislike piano hinges and went with a 27" diagonal wall corner cabinet. The additional storage was needed in a small kitchen. After market wood D-shaped lazy susans are available for a reasonable price. They have ball bearings and one rests on each shelf. I can look up the name of the company if interested. The storage capacity is huge. However, the 27" diagonal may project too far forward if a ninety degree corner is below. I would go to Lowes, HD, or a cabinet showroom and look at their diagonal wall cabinets of both sizes. You need to see if a 24" size might work for you. The D-shaped susans are made for this size as well.

You do want wall cabinets all the same height as others have suggested. Since there won't be much counter space in your kitchen, I would not get a cabinet that goes all the way down to the counter.

Glenn thanked texasgal47
  • 8 years ago

You may not like piano hinged cabinets, for whatever reason, but the fact of the matter is that they remain the most popular corner choice for a reason. They provide the best access to the most usable amount of corner storage that your kitchen can have. A single 36'' super susan can hold an entire pot and pan collection, and you can get even the big stockpot in and out. Or it can hold a small applince addict's blender, crockpot, griddle, rice cooker, backup coffee maker, Foreman grill, food processor, and still have room to spare.

For an upper, a digonal corner cabinet has a relatively small door compared to the internal volume that it contains. It can hold a lot of medium sized objects, but they are more difficult tl get in and out. The L shaped corner with the double hinged door provides full access to every bit of the room, and you can put objects as deep as the entire shelf into the cabinet and still easily get them in and out without twisting them on their sides to fit through the door.

Examine your ''dislike'' and get over it if you want the most function from your kitchen.

Glenn thanked User
  • 8 years ago

I think you can also use regular hinges on an ezreach upper. While I recommend the ezreach over a lazy susan in the corner, I think that you should go to a showroom and see visually how you like the ezreach vs the corner and also try them out - see what you think of getting something off of the lower shelves. I think the corner looks much nicer in the drawing than in real life and I really couldn't use the corner without a lazy susan (and I also realized that I needed to have an area in my kitchen where I would have to have handy storage for the step ladder I would need to reach all of the upper shelves).

Glenn thanked practigal
  • 8 years ago

My first design

All comments welcome

• 8 years ago

texasgal47 yes I'd like the name if it isn't to much trouble.

My wife likes the staggered height tops, me not so much though it does add interest. She does want one all the way down to the counter shown in the picture above bottom left cabinet.

• 8 years ago

Sophie Wheeler thanks for your comments on the double hinged door, we have one now and I really dislike it, so no I'll not get over it.

In our last house we had woodmode cabinets that I installed, the susan had the door fixed to the shelf which was very nice. But with the doors my wife has picked for this kitchen it would be a flat panel not raised like ever other cabinet doors.

• 8 years ago

Those corner "hole" cabinets serve a purpose--they're good for stuff you don't use that often and don't mind digging around for. If you have stuff that fits the description, go for it. If you need everything to be more accessible, or you were already putting all those items over the fridge, try something else. (I had one once, and used it for pretty china and other useful but decorative things. It was lighted with a glass door and held a lot of stuff. Not easy to get things out of the back, but seriously functional and still easier than going down to the basement for a vase.)

Glenn thanked Fori
  • 8 years ago

Glenn, if you're not planning on selling anytime soon (say 10 or 15 years), do the staggered cabinets if you like the look. It doesn't matter if it's dated unless you plan to sell - it only matters that you like it.

Glenn thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • 8 years ago

sjhockeyfan325 I wanted to sell 7 years ago at the top of the market, but my wife would have none of that!

• 8 years ago

Me too, and we missed it - but then we did sell in 2012 when the market in our area came seriously back.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations