Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Is Gardenweb dying after Houzz takeover?

beachem
8 years ago

I was only on Gardenweb consistently for a year before the Houzz takeover but it seems to me that the level of participation has dropped consistently since the takeover. Many active posters seemed to have dropped off and posts don't get the same response level that they used to.

Other than the kitchen forums, other categories are literally dead with no responses or less than 5. Some forums has no activities for a week at a time.

What do the old timers think? Do you feel the energy and participation has been reduced?

Comments (221)

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Tyrion <3 <3

• User
    8 years ago

Excuse me, LL. Isn't this thread about GW, and don't you already have this conversation going on in another thread?

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Where is it? The sex and TV thread I mean? I wanna go join!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

A little thread drift is a good thing.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Thread drift/GoT spoiler ahead. You might like watching this video about Jon Snow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BBhZPWmXUtE

• User
    8 years ago

It's in one of her vintage kitchen threads, Texas_Gem. I kept opening it to read the new posts, but they were all about GOT.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    8 years ago

Wow! I've been cross country all week on business and I missed a lot. This post is like our parties. After a few...hours[read:drinks] the conversation starts to stray. That's what brought me back to GW after trying to quit. I love a good party. I still gotta bug cook n carpenter some more about narrow cabinet pull outs, but I'm on to other projects at the moment.

Is there still a finished kitchens blog or site? Someone very nice emailed me about ours and I wanted to wait until I had the curtains finished. Then I lost the contact information. The curtains are still not finished after three years, but they are started.

If someone could email me the contact information, that would be great.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Why are you guys picking on Russ? LOL Poor guy. Now, I do happen to have a copper backsplash but not one of those cheap ones that look like the back end of a fridge, mine is copper mosaic so hopefully that's ok. If not, well sniff, sniff, that's ok too.

I don't watch Game of Thrones but according to the radio this morning Jon Snow (whoever he is) is indeed dead. And it sounds like there is some major backlash about an assault scene?

I miss the preview button as well. I always feel silly hitting the submit button, then rereading my post and having to hit the edit button to correct spelling, tenses, sentence structure. But then I think, I really should beable to do this first time around, but of course....I don't.

I loved MacMillan and wife. I use to watch Susan St. James in everything she appeared in.

Now to hit the submit button and "preview" my post.

• Buehl
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

1929Spanish-GW...yes, the Finished Kitchen Blog (FKB) is still there, although I don't know if any kitchens have been added in the past year or so. (I emailed StarPooh for the new checklist for my kitchen and she never responded - I hope she's still around!)

I suggest reading the Read Me thread - it contains information for the "new" Kitchens (post-Houzz) plus links to the Kitchen FAQs and the FKB.

GOT - to be honest, while I was able to get through the first book in the series several years ago (long before the TV adaptation), I've tried 3 times over the years to get through the second. I almost exclusively read science fiction & fantasy, so it should be right up my alley. However, I'm not a fan of soap-operaish stories and, IMHO, if sex and violence are not pertinent to advancing the plot, it's gratuitous. And even if it is, you don't need to spell it out - we all know what it is. Oh well. Luckily, we all have different tastes so the world isn't boring! :-)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    8 years ago

Thanks buehl!

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Read Me thread...New to Kitchens? Read Me First!

blfenton...There's history b/w Russ and GW. As I recall, the threads involved have been pulled. There appears to still be some resentment on both sides.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

LOL! Someone stuck up for me! woot!

Seriously though, I do not think anyone was picking on me, per say, I think I was bad at expressing my frustration and people thought it was directed at them or someone else.

Me, I am totally enjoying this place, people like Beth and Lavender, and Gem.. even on Joe up there, sure do help my day go by faster. I am a few weeks away from the house being started, so just having a really good time learning stuff.

When I bought my ranch, I literally called all over Texas learning how to manage the wildlife etc to the point I got into a confrontation with the regional TPWD person and had to tell his little back end off also.. lol. I ask more questions than most so I make as educated of a choice as possible and an idle mind just can post till the cows come home ;)

Someone pulled my threads? First news to me.. lol

Russ

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Boy, I hope I never have history with anyone but it doesn't take me long to figure out, for me, who to avoid.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Gosh.. only been here a couple weeks and I have history... I feel old already!

Okay! slate is wiped clean Anyone wanting to remove their history, just say so and I will forget your name and you can re-introduce yourself!

Hi, My name is Russ and I am a Kitchenaholic.

Russ

• beth09
    8 years ago

Thanks Russ. :)

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

May- Sorry about the thread drift on the vintage kitchens. It happens. I'm up for starting a new vintage kitchen thread, if you like.

This thread was getting a little tense...and I couldn't find the "cute kitty" picture :)

• User
    8 years ago

Russ, I took exception to you using this thread to rag on other people who were trying to help you. I forgot you did get a rude comment, so while you were talking about one thing, I was talking about another. I had in my mind the conversation that transpired before the rude comment. Also, there was some earlier complaining in this thread about people in general that made me not want to even post on GW anymore, so your second post was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

As for the off topic post, we have had some very entertaining threads that have wandered. They were of general interest however. And those threads weren't blatantly taken off topic with words like "Can we go back to sex and TV? LOL Like on Game of Thrones."

It seems to me that's saying "Enough of talking about what the thread is about, let's talk about what I and maybe four other people want to talk about." GW gets a lot of traffic and I bet dozens of people open every thread, and some may even have notifications on for the thread, but instead of the topic, they get GOT and cartoons. Who knows how many posts it would take to exhaust that topic.

Just be considerate. You can even start a thread about GOT because I don't think Houzz cares. Or post in Home Decorating Conversations, where you can talk about anything, including sex.

• User
    8 years ago

LL, it wasn't tense in my or Russ' opinion.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Hell, I did not even know I was the target of any sort of harassment.. lol. I thought it was just people talking, honestly....then it got all stabby!.. lol and that sometimes takes a post or twenty before people get around to going, "you weren't talking about me?" "no.. I was referring to something entirely different".. then "oh! Carry on then!"

I think we have come to that... well, except for the fact no-one has been spanked or sent to their room or anything, which makes it quite the fun thread.

ok, I threw that in to get a chuckle...

Russ

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Just for mayflowers-, here is a new thread I started to discuss TV shows away from the general kitchen forum.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3268566/m=23/what-are-you-watching

• susanlynn2012
    8 years ago

I always appreciated the honesty in the member's posts when I posted pictures and I have used several of the poster's comments to help me when I gel stained my cabinets temporarily to take out the warn spots. I was surprised how much better they looked. I decided to go with the BM Bone White on my wall that I felt was too dark since the professional painter told me it only looked dark on a white wall and to paint some boards and put them somewhere in back of furniture with no white showing. He was right and I love the soothing color on my walls and so do others that visit. When I was told that it is OK to mix various shades of creams and whites and they do not have to match perfectly, it helped my bedroom come out well. When others told me I would be happier with a counter depth refrigerator, I wish I did listen then but I was new to the forum in 2006 that is why my name was Lynn2006 since that is the year I joined to find a refrigerator and my first name was taken so I used my middle name. I appreciate all the advice I get, the beautiful pictures, all the learning I get and I hope people are always honest with me in a tactful way but they do not lie if they find something I am asking an opinion on (before I make the chances) not looking right. I am looking forward to getting back to my kitchen one I take care of other pressing priorities in my life but my house looks so much better since I joined GW and I am learning so much and I appreciate so many different styles as what is important is how everything in the room compliments each other. Thank you everyone for making this forum wonderful. Despite the changes on Houzz, at least they kept the forum alive and tried to save old posts.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

And those threads weren't blatantly taken off topic with words like
    "Can we go back to sex and TV? LOL Like on Game of Thrones."

These were discussed earlier in the thread....if anyone wants to scroll up and check.

So, while they may be off topic from the original entries, they were already discussed....in this thread :)

And my threads go off topic all the time (often from other posters) and that's the forum. The fact that they do....and the fact that it annoys some people....are probably reasons that GW is losing members.

We have had some very silly off topic discussions...including why there might be an alligator in the picture and how a chandelier might burst into flame! LOL I thought they were both funny. I didn't get upset that people derailed a post. It happens...and I enjoy that people feel comfortable enough to joke around and tease. If a poster doesn't like it...they should say "please no off topic comments" or "let's get back on topic, shall we?" or some such thing.

I think this thread has demonstrated in many areas (not just this one) why people don't come to the forums, anymore.

• User
    8 years ago

blfenton...There's history b/w Russ and GW. As I recall, the threads involved have been pulled. There appears to still be some resentment on both sides.

Just wanted to address Beuhl's post. I wasn't aware his thread had been pulled, or maybe it was a different one, so there's no resentment or history on my part. In that thread, I only pointed out to him that LWO's advice was good, being that she was an experienced KD with many years on GW. Russ seemed to be a little defensive about that comment, saying it didn't matter how long she'd been here. Then I said I still hadn't gotten an answer to my question about what his other finishes in the home were so I could make cabinet suggestions. That's when he went into the sugar thing, then I read Sophie's post and left the thread. I went back later to give an opinion on his granite but I don't know what else went on in that thread.

I know it all sounds petty and there were probably misunderstandings, just like in this thread. But I don't want blfenton or anyone to think I was part of whatever happened in that thread to get it pulled. I was only giving him gruff for what he said in this thread about mean people.

LL, sorry to sound short-tempered about the off-topic post. Really, the others didn't bother me, but I think I stated pretty clearly how I felt about that one post, and I did ask to get back on topic. I really don't think that's what keeps people away from the forum. Not sure I am following you there.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Okay.. let's get something straight. The topic/posts were not removed. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill and stop fanning the flames. There is no resentment atm, just people that keep bringing up a topic that was dealt with and the people involved moved on.

Secondly, LL's post had nothing to do in the slightest with me or Sophie.. it was about off topic issues.

Come up with another example because that one is getting real old real fast. I was nice to Sophie today in a post where she was perfectly right in her discussion, so there is no resentment and it would be appreciated if you would stop using my name as an excuse for any argument you may be in with someone else.

Now, back to the topic.

• User
    8 years ago

I wanted to clarify the misconception that I was involved in a thread closure, and I have every right to do so. Lavender's and my posts have nothing to do with you.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Okay okay guys. Let's just remember Tiny Tim and his words of wisdom. "Things that bother you never bother me" and "I do what I like, just what I like, and how I love it" :)

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

They need a damn ignore button.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

You can click on the little flag in the upper right corner and choose the "I just don't like it" option and voilà!! They disappear for you

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Yeaaa.. but I still have to read them and that is what ticks me off.

Anyway, it is 1 am. and I can't sleep.. so.. on to look at cooler kitchens than mine :P

R

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

We are probably the only Texans still awake. :p Enjoy your browsing

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

I had the kids tonight. I got Outback steak and mac and cheese for the kids and we all sat up watching Hulk Smash till 10. Wife was out with her friends at a girls night out concert. The kids fell asleep in my bed and I woke up at midnight with a foot in my face so.. went to read the forums :P

• User
    8 years ago

Russ, you have what's called a hair-trigger temper, and over nothing. Hope that's the last we see of it on these forums.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

ay, you have what we call a lot of things. Hope that is the last we see of it on these forums too.

And for the record, I deleted my posts in the hopes you would not try to come back with another smart alec response, which you did.

You have been in this thread talking about everyone and what they should and should not post, rather than what the post was about, what has happened to the site..

Instead, you chose to tell me you would not be nice and I can stop being soft skinned because you in no way wanted to "sugar coat" anything.

Then you go on to be rude to LL for posting off topic and you spent the entire thread backtracking and explaining why YOU had a right to be the way you are, rather than offering constructive criticism.

Add to that the fact you cannot keep a single thread straight in your discussions.

I am not hot tempered.. ok, I am.. but your saying that is an attempt to discredit my input.

I simply won't put up with anyone being a jerk and then blaming everyone else in this and other threads as to why they are justified in doing so.

My topic was not against Sophie. I have respect for her. She said a mean thing, I said a mean thing back, we moved on. You.. keep throwing it all up as justification as to why my input is not valid.

My input is my opinion and is as valid as yours or anyone else's. Don't like it? feel free to lash out as you have against me and anyone that posts contrary to how you feel you should post.

Hot tempered? you bet.. but the term you are looking for, in reality, "is unwilling to put up with you being an internet bully.

Get over yourself.

And now.. I wish they had an ignore button.

• User
    8 years ago

Okay, Dr. Jekyll.

• User
    8 years ago

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

May, let's just agree to leave each other alone and ignore each other. I can see you like to call names and you can see I don't like to take crap.

So, let's wipe the slate clean and agree that we are not going to get along.

What do you say to that?

Beats calling each other in a thread ALL about "what happened to the forums"

Russ

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Don't make me stop this car.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

This thread is pretty much dead. I think it's time for both of you to take this argument private. Or you both need to stop responding. This is getting silly. And, yeah, I need to stop popping in. I'm sure most people have already.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
  • Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

No worries guys, I am going to set this off my followed threads. Sorry for the arguments.

I would have taken it to PMs but couldn't. Either way, should have let it go.. we both should have.

May, hope to have some GOOD conversations with you and your kitchen styles etc in the future. Let's call this one a draw.

R

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I love all of you guys! We might be a dysfunctional family....but I still end up coming to visit all the time :)

• beth09
    8 years ago

Who wants pie!!?

• Honu3421
    8 years ago

Mama goose!!! OMG!! So on target. And then Beth09 pops up with pie! Hilarious! I kept meaning to opt out of thead updates and now I'm glad I didn't. Priceless.

• Susied3
    8 years ago

Haven't read ALL the comments, but my two cents is I miss the small "Let's have morning coffee together" feeling of the old format. I knew who was going to be on when, all the DIYers that HOUZZ has seemed to run off. I joined in 2008, did a DIY for Four years and now my beautiful (to me) kitchen I feel intimidated to post any pictures. Kind of feel like expectations are 180% higher!

And...is there ANY way to search just in Kitchens? I'm trying to find under cabinet lighting and the only search I can find is "search all gardenweb" and I get random results! From gardening, at al, and I just want kitchens. Anyone know how to filter that?

• beth09
    8 years ago

Susied. I just searched "kitchen under cabinet lighting" and got this result. It seems fairly kitchen/cabinet specific. Hope it helps!

And don't be afraid to post your kitchen, there are lots of nice people here who will appreciate it, including me. I wanna seeeeeeeeeee. ;)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

I don't see a link in beth09's post, but if you type 'under cabinet lighting' in the search box, then click on 'Kitchens' in the drop-down box, this is the page that comes up: search results

If that fails, I google: gardenweb under cabinet lighting. search results

ETA, sorry beth09, didn't see the green highlighted words until I scrolled over the text.

• beth09
    8 years ago

;)

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

12 crumbles- someone else was calling her a guy and I was trying to correct it. They've since deleted the post. Thanks for the reminder, I shall delete mine as well.

• 12crumbles
    8 years ago

Aha! Just saw this. I shall delete mine also and than Mama_goose individually.

• nursemolly
    6 years ago

I used to be able to find things on Garden Web. Now I can't find anything!