Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imjustinjk

Paint for basement rec room (my bedroom)

Justin James
8 years ago

To move in with my father in his new home, we agreed that living in the basement would be a good option. He has the dormer master on the 3rd floor, and I'll have the basement - plenty of space between us. It's currently being torn apart, but I need to think of paint colors.

Sorry not the best photo! Pretty typical rectangle half-house basement (utility room is on other side). We had to have the basement waterproofed and we had to have the wall boards removed. I'm having white wainscoting put in, and I'm having the fireplace painted white.

This is the bed that I bought. I was thinking of doing grey walls, but I'm not sure if that's too much grey. My bedding is brighter, yellows, and such. The bed will be going against the back wall with the windows. I also have a white sectional and lightly shaded wood shelving/desk unit that I brought in from my apartment.

Comments (21)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I'd do a lavender/purple

BM Violet Pearl

BM After the Rain

BM Sanctuary

Justin James thanked tibbrix
  • Justin James
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I saw the first sentence and I'm like... purple, no way. But then I saw them and they're perfect. I would have never thought to do those colors!

Are they too feminine? I like the first one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

If I'm in a basement, I want daylight and sunshine, so we painted our lower level guest room BM pale moon. I love it. The gray is too much like concrete and foundation wall colors for me, but YMMV.

Justin James thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Justin James
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Different brand of paint haha I'm home depot now.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Why on earth did I think you are female? Esp. looking at your screen name now! I do think the Violet Pearl would be beautiful with your gray and yellows and whites, but I don't know, IS it too feminine? Maybe others can give an opinion on that. I tend to think it leans feminine. Anyone else?

But then, maybe not. I can see a guy in these rooms

Justin James thanked tibbrix
  • Justin James
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am gay haha! I'm with my dad buying pale lavender paint and chandeliers for my bedroom. He's so confused lol

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

First of all - I found your thread title hilarious. The Rec room a/k/a my bedroom. LOL.

I'm linking to a couple of similar images I found that might reflect a more masculine finish but still keep the same types of elements:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ae/76/27/ae7627353bbd1831c749e3805a637a20.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ed/7a/01/ed7a014f581fa3d9f181453a225597cc.jpg

That said, you should make the room fit YOU. Whatever makes you the most comfortable. Everyone has different styles. I'd choke if I had to sleep on a bed with a bed-in-a-bag overstuffed flower patterned comforter. Other people would be equally uncomfortable in my basic bed with linen sheets and linen duvet. So, make it what you want it to be!

Justin James thanked AtomicJay007
  • Justin James
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haha yeah! The house isn't large, but it's roomy. My father and I will need our space. There will be two floors between our bedrooms since his bedroom is an attic converted to master. Then there's a formal living and dining, a small office and a big family room addition.

I chose a really masculine bronzey chandelier to go above my bed. I didn't even think of purple as an option for my room. I don't mind a light purple if I tone it down with other things, but everything in my room is pretty neutral except for my quilt and some of the shams/pillowcases I have. I only sleep in white sheets.

I was considering a grey, but it would be too dungeony if it's in the basement like @Annie Deighnaugh said.

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Can you post a picture of your quilt?

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

Since it's a basement I would probably go more for Annie's Pale Moon to keep it bright....how about the yellow in your bedding? I love gray and yellow together.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Lol. Wow. As a gay friend of mine says as a response to "the" question, a la the answer, "is the Pope Catholic?", 'He's as gay as a robin in lavender heels."

So, lavender it is! Lol. I hope the color you picked is a gray lavender versus a blue lavender, which would be way too girly, and little girly at that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

How many windows does the room have? I do hope you have considered egress routes. There are reasons why some basement bedrooms are illegal...if they don't have quick access to the outside in case of fire.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This works well for me though I think I would prefer a little warmer yellow for more contrast..

Newport · More Info

• Justin James
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We are egressing a window. We're doing a window well. I considered yellow walls but, I'm not sure if I can handle that much yellow.

@Olychick - it's still packed, but it has grey trim, with a white backdrop, and a yellow floral geometric pattern with some greys in it.

• Yayagal
    8 years ago

This is a soft neutral with a hint of warmth, it goes great with all grayshttp://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/freshair

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since you have white wainscoting, you can do gray walls. Maybe a gray with a purple undertone.

Or what if you brought the wainscoting up to about 6' and painted the gray above it, plus the ceiling? Taller wainscoting is supposed to make the room look taller. Then your headboard would be against the white wainscoting.

Guest Bedroom Done in Light Trendy Colors · More Info

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Well, rather than yellow, perhaps you can do a warm beige ... it can look very warm and sophisticated with gray and black.

Tori Murphy Living Inspiration · More Info

Justin James thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • eld6161
    8 years ago

Or, a gray two tones down from the gray in your headboard. And, as May flowers mentions, since you will have the white wainscot, it will be fine. (Especially with the yellow that is in your bedding.)

I know others here have a better color sense than me, but I say nay to anything lavender.

• amykath
    8 years ago

I think if it were me I would go for a light greige. Maybe checkout some from Sherwin Williams. I used Accessable beige in our home and it does in some light have a slightly pink undertone depending on the lighting. Here is a photo.

gw · More Info

• Justin James
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A lot of work is going into the basement. We had to have waterproofing done down there before move in and we're having mold work done because the panels on the back and left wall were rotted. It's pretty much gutted. They have a few more things to do before they put it back together. Idk if we're going to repanel the basement or do nice moulding/trim. It's a decent size room, like 14x24?

@mayflowers I like the idea of taller wainscoting. I have to talk to my dad about what his budget is. Is the ceiling in that pic green?

Aktillery I think that's the color that's in most of the house. So much of it, lol.