Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_984218

Need color scheme help

we are updating kitchen. I'm changing out counter tops with the FX 180 laminate in Lapidus Brown. The question is what would you do with cabinet colors and floor tiles and wall color. I have no clue?!

Comments (7)

• nimrod25
    8 years ago

I would go with a light (maybe white) counter top and the same with the backsplash and floor. Those cabinets look like they are in beautiful condition. They are very mid-century and mid-century is very "in" these days. I wouldn't paint them because once you do there is no going back. Paint chips and then you have to sand and repaint.

Just my thoughts!

• PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    8 years ago

Cabinets - white or off white, keep them light.

Walls - you could go in the browns and do a light tan or beige, or you could pick up the grays and taupes in there. depends on what you are wanting to see more of.

Same as the walls, either browns or taupes/gray

• Elle
    8 years ago

With the above posted countertop, I would suggest cream cabinets and floor tile that is lighter than the countertop but has colors that are consistent with the countertop.

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 years ago

First of all, your stone is beautiful. Lots of movement and rich colors! Great starting point! You can go in many direction with that stone so I will post photos of a view recent projects that may give you an inspirational color palette. In the first photo the client has more traditional tastes and choose a travertine floor with Benjamin Moore morning light paint color which is warm and pairs well with both cabinets, countertop and stone.

The bottom photo is a much more contemporary take on the use of your stone with white shaker cabinets, medium wood floors and Benjamin Moore Alpine white walls. Not knowing the specific style and color preferences that you have this is my best guess to give you a starting point to explore some options.

Mediterranean Villa kitchen remodel · More Info

Beach Bungalow · More Info

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago

Aimee - my first instinct is to ask you what your style is. This cabinet door and window combo is made to be mid century modern, yet this stone look formica is more traditional. Also - you have white white window frames in close proximity again to a top that has no white / indeed, its neutral is cream.

As for cabinet colors - if you are painting the cabinets, then I really suggest you do not want to pick a stone look formica. You want a solid / more contemporary look with the tops I think.

If you are considering painting the cabinets that is the first thing to decide. Let's say you are in LOVE with this formica and must have it. You might paint the cabinets a lighter shade of some of the neutrals in the finish - sw kilim beige is one that would be good https://www.pinterest.com/pin/134685845082936904/

Definitely don't run the formica up 4 inches or do any sort of backsplash in it at all - using a cream / biscuit toned penny round on the wall / backsplash would be much better and do the whole space around the window frames to the bottom of the cabinets. Then you would look for a deeper khaki tone tile - see below for floor tile profile ideas to echo your doors.

If you just found this and thought it was better than what you have . . then consider looking a little, saving some kitchens you like, formulate a vision for what you want before you leap. I'll look to see what you might have in your ideabooks for kitchens you admire.

My instinct with these cabinets would be to keep the wood, but balance it with something fun - some kiwi / citrus green and white and chocolate comes to mind. You might do a bright glass tile backspash in the citrus tones, add undercounter lighting, new white countertops and use an oblong 1 x2 floor tile in a contemporary porcelain textured finish in a running bond pattern to echo the lines of the carved doors. Add green and white linens and white ceramics - give yourself a nice new faucet and put some white ceramics on the countertops.

• latc
    8 years ago
    I have the same cabinets. I wish I could replace them but the quality is better than what is on the market. We sanded and glazed them 10 yrs ago. I am thinking of replacing some of the doors with glass door.