Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Sad, sad, sad rose bushes this season in Milwaukee, WI

Sigh................. my best girlfriend (connoisseur of all flowers)would attest to the fact that I had gorgeous rose bushes--all 12 bushes. The last couple years, with the horrid last 2 Winters which I believe weakened a number of the bushes that caused rust on a number of bushes have made me so sad. The roses when they bloom this season are smaller blooms, takes forever from deadheading to the next set of blooms. It used to happen very fast. I would deadhead, get new buds & boom---lots of blooms. I don't know what's going on because I water more due to hardly any rain. They should be happier because the drier, mostly cooler temps. Because my mom is very elderly, I haven't done a lot of digging out older, less performing bushes & adding new ones. If she passes before I do; then we will not continue living in our duplex for long. I wonder if it is just me this is happening too. Did I say, SO SAD????

Comments (15)

• Jim_in_AV
    8 years ago

Don't feel too bad. You could be in the desert...in a drought...

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

But I DO feel horrible about it. I'm kind of acclamated to the fact, but still very sad.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    8 years ago

Most modern roses like HEAT.. If they don't get it, they do what your roses are doing now. They just sit and look at you. The roses are more like my black cat than me. He will lay in a sunny windowsill for hours on a day when it is in the nineties. It feels like you could fry and egg on his fur, but he seems to enjoy it. Non-human entities can have strange ideas about what is and is not comfortable.

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

If you've been having the kind of weather we've been having here in the Great Lakes, and you probably have because ours comes east from there, then it's not your fault! Roses like SUNSHINE and lots of it. It was a very long, cold, cloudy spring and roses don't grow or bloom quickly in those conditions. It has warmed up some now but we've still had less sunshine than normal. And watering is never as good as a nice soaking rain. Every year has different conditions and the roses grow and bloom differently accordingly. Besides that, the roses did take quite a beating over those two nasty winters and are trying their best to recuperate. Don't despair, they'll improve when/if the weather does.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Sorry to hear... I hope things improve for you!

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

Try not to feel to bad it is the weather not you. It's exactly the same here I've never seen my rose bushes so tiny in August. Not a good year for roses. Seil is right cloudy, cold , very wet spring. Even early summer the clouds remained locked here. Crazy hot for a couple of days then back to cold wet nights. We have just had almost three weeks of sun. The roses are finally growing. I'm not surprised that Wisconsin is rust heaven this year.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    8 years ago

In my yard, I find it easy to over water the roses--even when the rest of the state is in need of water! Rose roots also need oxygen--so they need to by cycled between wet and dry.

• nickjoseph Milwaukee, WI
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all! I take a 'sigh of relief'. Glad it sounds like it isn't just me.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

I am having similar season, too much rain and clouds. Today it's raining. Wildfire had a bloom that was miniature sized. Recently, I started foliar spraying with product similar to Peter's and I am seeing an improvement in stem and more blooms. Coincidence and/or time of year?

• maryjozone5
    8 years ago

what is the foliar spray?

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

I put fertilizer (Peter's or Miracle Grow) in a hose-end sprayer and spray the leaves as a foliar spray.

• kittymoonbeam
    8 years ago

This is the time to work on your soil. Add compost, manure and good mulch. Keep the roots in good shape. Roses always do better with rain than hose water. You should see what the drought is doing to my roses in CA. The year it rained and rained was my best year ever. But roses want sun and warmth too. If you have been using chemical fertilizers instead of natural ones then you might want to give your soil some TLC while the roses take a break.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank-you Kitty that is very good advice. Its nice we can still hear from you here from time to time to learn about the latest rose growing trends. Even though I can only dream of growing the roses you do.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

I wish we could trade! It's been hot and unusually dry here. I feel like I live in Phoenix. I also have sparse and tiny blooms. Anything that does bloom fries immediately. Hopefully with the weather changing, things will get better. I'm gearing up for the fall flush.