Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dustin_mills83

Money Tree for Dummies

Dustin Mills
8 years ago

So...I'm a newbie to plants and trees. I don't understand gardening vocabulary so I need to be spoken to like a child and pictures are great! :)

I just bought a money tree and I really like it!

I want it to grow larger. I've got the re-potting thing down (except how to know if the tree has outgrown its current pot), but I need to understand pruning techniques and braiding...

The tree now has 5 trunks braided, but the main braided trunks have been cut and there are many offshoots, producing the leafy top. Question is this: if the previously braided trunks are already cut, how am I supposed to keep braiding it without it looking funky!? If I shouldn't keep braiding it, then do I just keep it this size and trim all the top off-shoots or what?

Next, for pruning/trimming. How do I do that to keep it growing bigger and healthy?

Attached are some photos.

It looks like the main stems have already grown a bit un-braided. Can I braid these parts?

I've searched for photos of money trees online, but they all look either non-braided from the beginning or similar to what mine looks like now. What should this look like 5 years down the line?

I appreciate anyone's help! It's frustrating how much info there is on the money tree, but how little quality & detailed info I've been able to find and am hoping someone can help!

Comments (7)

• christine 5b
    8 years ago

You've come to the right place, I'm sure Al will come along and give you great advice.. Welcome to the forums !!!!

• MsGreenFinger GW
    8 years ago

Hi Dustin,welcome to GW!

As you can see, the main trunks that are braided were cut back and its the shoots that are growing. This is how these plants are sold generally. The cut ends won't ever grow again. So you can braid them but there will be a 'funky' part. If you want one braided all along, you have to do it yourself, growing and braiding from cuttings.

There are many threads on GW about pachiras with lots of info on soil, watering and the rest. Look for advice from Greenman (Josh) or Tapla (Al).

• Dustin Mills
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments and insight so far. I will keep searching on the forum for more information.

• Sara
    4 years ago

can you cut a trunk shoot or not to spark growth of a new branch?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    4 years ago

There is a chemical (auxin) produced primarily in apical meristems (the growing tips of branches) that suppresses lateral growth (new side branches). When you remove the apical meristem by truncating a branch at any point proximal to the growing tip of the branch, it eliminates the primary supply of the chemical that serves to suppress lateral growth. This pretty much assures that lateral branching will begin to occur almost immediately subsequent to removing the branch apex (same as apical meristem). The enthusiasm with which the tree responds to being pruned depends on several factors. You'll get the best response if you prune in summer, when the tree is in the most robust part of the growth cycle, when it's stored energy reserves are highest, and when the trees ability to produce current photosynthate (photosynthate is the plant's food, sugar/carbohydrates) is at or near peak. All of this should occur in a time frame starting about 2 weeks before the summer solstice and continuing until around 2-4 weeks after the summer solstice.

The stem in the image above has been truncated, and as such can no longer elongate. Once this occurs, the tree cannot continue to grow (conspicuously) unless it grows new branches. What appears to be leaf buds in the crotch of the two mature leaves are actually new branching stimulated by removing the apical meristem, along with several other leaves proximal to the meristem. These new branches will continue to elongate until the apical meristem is removed or damaged. As soon as that occurs, the nascent branches you can see will also start to back-bud and produce new branches.

Al

• Sara
    4 years ago

so this is the one I am wondering if I snip will it grow from the side or do I completely cut the top part of the trunk off to get it to do that