Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lagunamom1

Need help for rental property kitchen

lagunamom1
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are purchasing a home in the Phoenix area to use as a rental, and this is the kitchen. Although it's lakefront (on a man-made channel, really), typical rents are $1050-$1100, although we're trying to get in the $1200 range because of the backyard (which I'll post elsewhere.) We don't want to spend a lot of money putting in granite or quartz counter tops and stainless steel appliances because we won't earn our money back. As you can see, it's in need of counter space and storage, and we thought perhaps a rolling island on the blank wall would help. The agent suggested we build an island, but as soon as you walk into the house, you see the water in the back, and a built-in island would obstruct the view. The dishwasher is white. The countertop is a nice laminate. The sink is ceramic, and above the sink (on the left) is a window. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments (16)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    8 years ago

I agree with a rolling island, and I would put it in the forward/middle of the kitchen floor so it doesn't obstruct the water view. The great thing about it is it can provide counter space and storage! Make sure it's the correct size for the kitchen. (measure twice, buy once!)

• ritting28
    8 years ago
    A rolling island with storage underneath is a great idea. I would put a large mirror on the wall over it to reflect light from the kitchen window and make the room seem larger. You can probably find a mirror at a consignment shop, and paint it to go with your decor, if needed.
  • studio10001
    8 years ago

I'm confused by a statement - are you saying that an island mid room blocks the view from front to back of the house, but storage against the wall won't? Please explain, as the doorway I see would suggest the opposite is true.

• PRO
    Wg Gasser Design
    8 years ago

I wouldn't do a rolling island... it will destroy the floor if it is actually rolled around much...

ikea has great island units.

the island can be located across from the counters... with bench seating (provided by the tenents)

perhaps a hutch or side table can be located on the wall... but typically this would be provided by the tenant, no? maybe you could locate an inexpensive one on craigslist or at IRCA hotel furniture liquidation center on Greenway...

• lagunamom1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is the view from the back door, but it's what you see when you walk into the house, but obviously farther away. An island in the middle of the kitchen would obstruct the view. Having a small island on the wall wouldn't because of the placement of the window.

• charleee
    8 years ago

This kitchen looks about a million percent better than any rental I've ever been in. I'd put in a white refrigerator and perhaps attach a breakfast type bar on the wall to the right of the fridge, two barstools and color it done. It's a very nice space!

• Maureen
    8 years ago

I would rather than enjoy the view while sitting at an island or table so it can be thoroughly enjoyed, than just the imapct upon walking in. If you wanting to add something to achieve the $1,200 rent, I would make it known to potential renters that you would be willing to add a table, island or more storage against the large wall and let them decide.

• lagunamom1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good point, but if you look at the left side of the photo, you'll see there's empty space between the end of the cabinet and the end of the tile. There's a window above there and the place to put in a table. It's an eat-in kitchen. It just needs more storage and prep space.

• lagunamom1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

When deciding what to add, you've got to ask whether you'd pay more for a backsplash, more modern hardware on the cabinets, or appliances that match. I know I wouldn't. If I were a potential renter, the first thing I'd see was that view, and the second would be the lack of prep space and storage in the kitchen. (For a full view of the yard, I've posted for design suggestions in Landscape Design in Houzz's Garden section.)

• Maureen
    8 years ago

I thought the large window was to the left, but if that's the area for a kitchen set, then certainly some type of island in the middle of the kitchen or next to the wall would help as extra prep space. Renters can move it based on their needs.

The Pantry · More Info

• PRO
    Wg Gasser Design
    8 years ago

I don't understand how a 3' high island can block a view... The renters will be taller than 3' correct?

• studio10001
    8 years ago

Ditto, Wg, and I agree w the agent. Rolling islands are no boon to a cook. If a peninsula also blocks the view to your mind, then a mid-room island would make more sense to me, as well. As a renter, I would be more concerned that the space functions optimally, than that I can't see the lower stuff outside.

• lejake
    8 years ago

I am gonna suggest something a little different than everyone else here. The big blank wall could be all storage with a minimal counter/flat surface that could be a serving area/bar or other prep area. It would be inexpensive to put upper cabinet depth cabinets floor to ceiling, perfect for all kinds of things, food or dishes. I would do uppers, perhaps all glass or with glass doors and counter height "lowers" with solid doors, but again with the 12 inch depth so as not to block any views. Go to Ikea for a wood countertop piece, very inexpensive & it would blend with what you have there. Add some interesting cabinet lighting/work lights to pull it all together. It might be just the thing to push your kitchen up a notch. You appear to have a nice space for a table across from there so adding this minor intrusion into the space might check all the blocks. Oh, and an island won't really do what you want (IMHO) but make it crowded in your eat-in kitchen. Cheers!

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

I found this on Ebay for $337 and free shipping. The doors seem to closely match yours. I had one similar in my small kitchen and frequently used it for prep space when I had a big meal going in the kitchen. If you're worried about damage to your floors, you could replace the casters with rubber if they're not already. Your view is beautiful!

• sathirel
    8 years ago

I would do a kitchen island looking like a freestanding one. Make it look like a table with a tablet underneath for a little storage. See the picture, just so you understand what I mean.https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/02/20/fc/0220fc093e6c8508fe0a1fb1838cff8c.jpg