Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xerlome

crossing squashes

Ed Lyon
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Last year, I planted Buttercup and Blue Hubbard squashes. I tried replanting seeds from each, certain there would be some crosses. Crossed Hubbard seeds produced very small Hubbards. Research showed that Baby Hubbard was developed by crossing Bush Buttercup with Blue Hubbard. I've read that Bush Buttercup is not as good as vining Buttercup, and likewise Baby Hubbard is not as good flavored as the larger Hubbard. I am hoping the cross I made is better because I used vining Buttercup. The leaf and vine size is more like Buttercup.

Crossed Buttercup seeds produced huge Buttercup shaped fruits, lighter colored, without the button. The vine is extraordinarily vigorous, is climbing a tree about 15 feet
up now after setting two fruits near ground, and another fruit stated
high up. So it seems that the mother controls the shape (apart from button?), and the father controls the fruit and plant size. I await harvest to discover how the flavor/texture turns out.

Years ago, I experimented with crossing numerous squashes, with very interesting results. I'm sure many others have played with such squash crosses. I'd be interested in those experiments. I am particularly interested in what other maxima crosses are successful, with special consideration for eating quality. I'm located in Maine.