Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgrandma

How Do You Choose the Right Sized Coffee Table

flgrandma
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I'm rearranging the sitting room area off my kitchen and need a little help. I'll be removing the huge desk-computer furniture-file and replacing it with a tv stand and tv (which are much smaller) and the round table between the two chairs. I'd like to get a round coffee table to place in the middle of the room, but I'm not sure what size to get. Is there some sort of formula? The room is 11 1/2 ft x 12 ft. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    You need a minimum of 18" between the table and the chairs. I prefer 24". The room looks like it could handle a 36" round.
  • PRO
    Christine Bhe, Bhe Design LLC
    11 years ago
    There is not an easy formula but your coffee table should be in proportion to the surrounding furniture. I would first suggest a larger rug - at least 5'x7' rectangle or oval to help define the seating area. The front feet of the chairs should be on the rug, then the coffee table should start approximately 12" from the front edge of the chairs. Without knowing all of your dimensions, I would estimate a 36" round should work. An oval coffee table might also fit the bill. Depending on your lifestyle, you may also enjoy an upholstered ottoman in a durable fabric or leather about 36" round that can function as a coffee table and foot rest. Love the wall color!
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    11 years ago
    If the chairs are moving to the wall opposite your TV, consider a round table with upholstered top. 30" - 36" maximum width.
  • Matteo Dezigns
    11 years ago
    Get a more rectangular rug to bring the 4 chairs together and try something like a nice antique trunk, its a great look. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 years ago
    Why would you want a coffee table? I would trade out the round table and add a rectangular of similar size, with a good lamp. This is a place to set a glass for each. A longer narrow console table under the window. A patterned rug, rectangular that both chair fronts can sit upon and all the way to corner under the smaller chair..pull that chair a little more into the room. Maybe an ottoman on legs for use by the matching chair users.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Concerning the use of this room. I've been living in my house for less than two years and over that time I'm discovering how the rooms are used by me and by my guests. Yes, this room is great for reading (which I do too much of). It's also where everyone gathers to have a glass of wine while I'm cooking. No one goes into the living room unless I force them and that's usually one of my reading groups. Never is the tv on in the living room. So, I decided since this is where all the action takes place, the tv belongs here too. The desk can go elsewhere. I've attached some photos of the whole area.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 years ago
    It's a great space. I still would not add a coffee table..the room is too small. The rule is every seat should have a place to set a glass. That can be small round tables the size of a plant stand in some cases. Can you use the drawer unit portion of the desk for your TV or will you need to get something else? Maybe all you need is another pair of chairs, just maybe not quite as large as the first 2. Still need a great rug with pattern..now cover most of the area. Art work is essential..large. Do you open your shutters often? If not, I would hang drapery panels off the sides. If you leave only the shutters for window treatments..I would get 2 long metal pieces, paint them trim/shutter color and hang over each window.
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Barbara Griffith Designs, I totally agree that I need a new, larger rug for this area. I am trying to develop a room where everyone has a place to set a drink since that seems to be how this room is used. Of course, I still like this area for relaxing and reading on my own. In addition, I think that I need to have the left wall painted the blue/green color. The shutters are open most of the time. and I think by painting the wall the shutters will be more of a focal point.
  • PRO
    Ingrained Woodworking, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I like the room a lot but I have to admit the desk feels like it is too big for the space. I like the idea of a larger rug as well. Rectangular might help the room feel wider? Not sure. I also like the idea of a very small side table someone else suggested. The colors are very calming. Nice job.
  • PRO
    Christine Bhe, Bhe Design LLC
    11 years ago
    Yes, I would definitely paint the left wall!
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Just a reminder that the whole, huge desk is going. It's beautiful, but not in this room.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    What a comfortable space. I am glad to hear you know how your house works adn are ready to make changes, so it will fit your needs.

It sounds to me like you will be moving the two chairs to the wall opposite from where the huge desk is now. I would suggest you purchase a huge round ottoman, as it can be used for additional seating or as a coffee table simply by adding a try.

The rule of thumb is 16" -18" inches between the front edge of the chair and the edge of the ottoman-coffee table. 12" is not enough(unless you like banged knees) and 24" is much to far for most people to reach easily. Having said that, try putting your chairs in the position they will be in, then measure 18" out from them. Use a cardboard box or another cahir to represent the space that will be taken up by the ottoman-coffee table. You will then be able to determine the diameter you can use comfortably.

I don't think your room is large enough for 4 chairs, but I think adding one more identical to the 2 you already have might not be a bad idea. :-)
  • flgrandma
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I've really been getting great ideas that make me think about how the room is used, what will work and what will look good. Thanks to all of you.