Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Thoughts on a Grow-Out

I have done quite a few Grow-Outs. This is where a group of people get some seed (usually an interesting type) and everyone starts them at relatively the same time. This way we can see the differences in growth. Each of our methods may change what we get, but it is all part of the learning process.

What are others thoughts of something like this?

Rick

Comments (183)

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

Look what just landed

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

Nice!

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well over 50 seeds as 'Extras' too :)

I need a second light sharpish lol

And my Dyna Gro Foliage Pro just landed too :)

• ladylotus
    8 years ago

That was really fast Phil, when did you order yours? Did we decide now for certain that we are all planting them up when we get our seeds?

• Sinha
    8 years ago

Is it okay to add my name to the list of people for the growout (sign in only) thread ? Our kind hearted forum member halfwaythere1 has offered to send me her 5 extra seeds of thai soco after she gets them.

• addicted2plants Southern IL USA
    8 years ago

Nice, Phil. I also ordered the Double Variegated Lime Leaves with my Golden Bells. It looks like my order is at my local post office being sorted! This order was exceptionally fast. My first order took 4 weeks to arrive. Ladylotus I think we are planting them as we receive them since everyone ordered at different times.

Tracy

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

Mine has taken approx a week to arrive, I have ordered stuff within the UK that's taken longer, geesh!

8 years ago

Rick I love this idea. I was just about to bring up the topic of threads, so glad you mentioned it. I like this idea since the original two threads are getting longer already. I also like the idea of breaking the threads up into stages, this way it doesn't matter which day you sowed the seeds.

• zebkorn
    8 years ago

Great idea rick! Maybe we could separate the threads per week... Then everyone posts a pic of Day 0, seed germination day and explain a little about the setup like substrate, lighting etc... Then post a pic 7 days later or just set a day where everyone would try to take a pic of their seedlings so everyone could compare each other's seedlings exactly on the number of days that has passed...

• ladylotus
    8 years ago

It would be neat when we post if we all add how and where we are growing them in each post. 1. Who/where you live with some specifics of growing design/setup/method (for lack of better wording)...2. Soil...3. Watering/feeding Ex.

1. Tangula from Bismarck ND. Growing them under MARS LED (dreaming a bit) grow lights, in 80 deg F temperatures, in a south facing window of the house on a heat mat.

2. Soil: 50 coco coir: 50 perlite.

3. Water: Using rain or pond water only no additional fert or nutrients at this time.

Or something along these lines. We can then identify where the person is growing them from, how and what methods seem to produce better results. What are everyone else's thoughts? If this idea is something others are interested in what can the information we want to see be labeled?

This is going to be so fun. Great idea to get this started Rick.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I think all of these ideas are wonderful and with the Map that Nicholas is producing would assist us in adentifying each local.

This type of collaboration is what is going to make this a very enjoyable adventure for ourselves and anyone else that is following.

Rick

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

Great ideas. I am all for starting as soon as my seeds arrive. Especially since I am growing all outdoors. At least until winter in Florida arrives. I also ordered some additional seeds.

• Halfway There
    8 years ago

My seeds won't arrive until Oct 1st at the earliest. Any Florida Zone 10ish peeps care to give some starting advice. I have never grown from seed. I'd appreciate potting media and fertilizing advice. I will not be using grow lights and will be keeping outdoors. Here is typical weather for Oct and Nov. ..

• Halfway There
    8 years ago

• bragu_DSM 5
    8 years ago

tho not zone 10, can tell you what works here. some c&s mix cut with a good deal of perlite … in a plastic food container, lightly watered, in a zip bag … until they germinate. I pop mine on top of the water heater ...

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

Halfway, I'm on the other side of Florida, just north of Clearwater. I only started with seeds in May. I've had mixed success with seeds. Some batches are great, others not so good. I keep trying. Those that germinate are doing quite well. I add a lot of coco coir and perlite to a good mix, moist, and out in the patio in a zip lock. I've tried a few different vendors.

I read every thing folks say on this site. Soak it up like a sponge. Great group of people.

• Halfway There
    8 years ago

Thank you very much Bragu and Cynthia for your advice.

• Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

Halfwaythere, I'm at the very top of zone 10 on the other side of FL. You've got great advice from the others on seed starting mix. As for fertilizer I use a 10-10-10 liquid at half strength going by the directions. But the best would be a fertilizer with a lower first number (which is nitrogen).

Others use the motto to fertilize weakly weekly (starting after the first true leaves pop out)

• Cynthia Curry Russo
    8 years ago

I'm using dilute fish emulsion.. So far so good. If you look back at previous discussions, you will find just as many opinions as there are people here. Nick's advise to feed weakly weekly has worked for me. I have added a bit of 10-10-10 to my mix for older plants.

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

I know we are not waiting until everyone has their seeds but are we hanging on a little bit before sowing the thai soco golden bells? I have mine but will wait a bit until we have a chuck of us ready for the off :)

8 years ago

Phil I have already sown mine. I have no patience whatsoever. I also have sown some of the Double variegated lime leaves that I bought from Kukuan.

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

hey trace - my seeds that I recently bought from adenium centre kept starring at me and a voice kept saying........sow me, sow me - so I gave in and sowed 12 double variegated lime leaves last night, but nothing else.......yet ;)

8 years ago

Phil go ahead and put your Thai Socos in. I know Beachlorax was already sowing his as well. Get in the pool Phil.

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

might get them in then in a day or two - will start with 5 as planned but I have extra's too....

8 years ago

I just want to say praise to Kukuan for getting these out so quickly. I honestly didn't think they would arrive until October. I picked mine up from the post office on Monday. Packaged up the seeds for Nick and sent them off, hopefully he will have them by Friday. I hope that everyone else also receives theirs in a quick manner.

Phil my seeds were calling to me as well.

• jedobaTX9b
    8 years ago
    My seed starting medium: Regular old miracle gro potting soil. I start them in a shallow clay drip tray or a to-go container with a clear plastic top, so i can cover it for a few days. I water using rainwater in a quality spray bottle. I also put them out in FULL SUN day one. Some will argue that you should not do this, but I will argue that they are in full sun in the wild.
    It's working for me. So far this year I'm at 100%.
  • kerryblue25
    8 years ago

I am just now seeing this thread. Could it be any Thai soco variety ? I would like to join ( posted in sign in ) I have seeds coming from Adenium center as well as other vendors. Right now I am waiting for petch ban na. I didn't buy golden bell ( because I just saw this thread ) I placed order last week. Let me know . I can make another order.

8 years ago

Welcome, Kerryblue! It isn't too late to join. Go ahead and order some Golden Bells and we will get you added to the map. There seems to be a large variance in delivery times so far, hopefully everyone receives their seeds quickly.

Tracy

• ladylotus
    8 years ago

Kerryblue...yes order your seeds. Mine are not supposed to be here until October. It will be a lot of fun.

• Halfway There
    8 years ago

Hi kerryblue. You need to enable receiving messages in your profile so I can message you to get access to the spreadsheet. Thanks!

• kerryblue25
    8 years ago
    Ok I will halfwaythere this houzz app with the gardenweb is confusing. I have always had the houzz app but it never show where I can edit stuff for the forum so I use the browser and then the mobile browser isn't showing everything so I need to hop on computer later today.
  • Nicholas C.
    8 years ago

The houzz app is horrible, or at least I can't find half the functions that are available on the actual gardenweb forums. I just go to forums even on the phone and deleted the app.

• jedobaTX9b
    8 years ago

You're right. It's not the same page on mobile, and you're unable to do it as far as I can tell. I had to go to my PC too.

• kerryblue25
    8 years ago

addicted2plants Southern IL I just sowed seeds from 2013 batch tiny ding dong from KO. All of Ko seeds sprouted first.

• christine20gw(Australia)
    8 years ago

My friend will be joining in with the grow out. I will give her half of my seeds. She is having trouble finding the site so I will help her out when I get a chance. in the mean time I will get her to keep notes.

• Bob Davis
    8 years ago

I just sowed 25 Adenium Arabicum Black Knight Dwf. and 25 Adenium Arabicum White Giant earlier today. is it to late to start the grow out? Is this the thread you are going to be posting on? If not count me in for the next one! :) I bought mine off ebay from the adenium king. 100% positive feedback from other people who have purchased.

8 years ago

Hi Bob this is the first of several threads for this particular grow out. We have selected Thai Soco Golden Bell seeds and we all bought from the same seller (Adeniumcenter on eBay). You can join us with your current batch or order some Golden Bells. Many of our members haven't received their orders yet so you won't be far behind. The "Germinate" log created by Bragu is where we are starting our germination discussion and photos. Then a new thread will be created for say 3 to 6 weeks seedlings, something along those lines, then another for 6 to 9 week, you get the idea. Happy to have you with us.

Tracy

• User
    8 years ago

I would gladly join but it's too expensive ordering just 10 "Golden Bell" seeds all the way from Thailand. ;-) I won't be needing any more arabicum seeds before November.

8 years ago

Expensive? Martin they are only $10.99. Mine haven't germinated yet. If I have to order another batch I will send you some. You mentioned that you don't need a phytosanitary certificate for bringing seeds into Denmark, is that correct?

Tracy

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

I have spares Martin if you want some?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just a quick note. With all of the splitting up of seeds between some participants. I hope that this is being done with cost of seeds and postage being reimbursed to the sender, unless other arrangements have been discussed? I had not mentioned it previous, in my forgetfulness, but this can be overlooked and I wanted make it now. In my past experiences this has happened and could just be a understanding, but if someone is kind enough to share, they should not be left in the negative. Should have mentioned this previous to starting, but I know that everyone here will come through.

As I was the only one from Canada, I was not sending out mine and Tracy very kindly took over the organizing of this and her time and efforts are so appreciated.

NO NEED TO RESPOND. DO NOT WANT THIS THREAD ABOUT THIS!

Rick

• User
    8 years ago

Tracy, from where? ;-) I would have to pay 18 USD for 10 seeds + 5 USD for shipment + 4% Paypal fee. In November I will order arabicum seeds, so why order now? Waste of money. ;-) But thanks. Very generous of you. :-)

• User
    8 years ago

Phil, splendid! I could send your money for seeds+shipment with Paypal. Do you Paypal? ;-)

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

Only just seen this Martin, just send me your address details and leave it with me buddy and I will get on the case :-)

8 years ago

The site charges you a different rate Martin? Sorry I didn't realize that you would be charged a higher price. For me the seeds were $10.99, the shipping $4, plus a phytosanitary cert that was $5. Perhaps it is the difference in currencies? I have no clue. Looks like you and Phil will be getting it sorted now. Thanks for helping out Phil, you are a real friend. Good thing I already added you to the spreadsheet and the Google interactive Grow Out map. ;)

Cheers, Tracy

• kerryblue25
    8 years ago

There shouldn't be a PayPal fee if you are buying from the seller on eBay. PayPal will charge you a fee if you send money to someone outside eBay for goods or service. You can avoid fees if you select friend or family. Again this is if you do not buy off eBay.

i just sent two people money for seeds outside eBay so I added the fee.

• User
    8 years ago

Phil, thank you, my UK Friend! :-) But no rush!

Kerryblue25, the seller has to pay fee. Always. This is how Paypal does business. But this fee is often paid indirectly by the buyer (prices are increased).

Tracy, did you by from Kesorn? Or from an eBay seller? The prices in my post was from Kesorn...

• Phil UK zone 8b
    8 years ago

No probs Martin - when your ready drop me a message with your address details and any specifics that are needed on the package :-)

8 years ago

We purchased seeds from Adeniumcenter on EBay. The US members pooled resources to avoid paying the phytosanitary certificate fee for every order along with shipping from Thailand. The idea was some members ordered seeds then split them with another member. The intent was to also share cost unless other arrangements were made in advance. Hopefully everyone receiving seeds and not buying are holding up their end of the bargain. I would hate to see someone get taken advantage of for their kindness.

Tracy