Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Adding soil amendments to raised beds

sturgeonguy
8 years ago

I finally have recommendations from an agronomist (sp?) regarding my soil composition, which started as pure good triple mix. They want me to incorporate Sulphur, Potassium Sulfate, Soybean Meal, and Calphos. I have 3,000 sq.ft. of raised beds, and 6,500 sq.ft. of grass surrounding them.

My first question is, should I be applying the amendments to both bed and grass areas? I am assuming if I just do the beds (which are only 8" deep and 3' wide) that the grass area (which is 4' wide between and around beds) will leach a lot out of the beds.

Comments (13)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    8 years ago

"...should I be applying the amendments to both bed and grass areas?"

What is the condition you are trying to fix by adding all the stuff? Is the sulfur to treat alkalinity of whatever "triple mix" is?

• kimmq
    8 years ago

What does a good reliable soil test report about the soils condition? What is the soils pH? How much Sulfur, Potassium, Phosphorus (Calphos), and Meal is to be applied?

The grass will not cause nutrients to "leach" out of the planting beds. That would happen if the planting beds were kept quite wet.

Is that "agronomist" a consultant or has this person a vested interest in your purchasing those materials?

kimmq is kimmsr

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My Soil Analysis

The agronomist is recommending (based on 3,000 sq.ft.) 55lbs of Sulphur to address the 7.7pH. 10kg of Potassium sulfate, 25kg of Soybean meal, and 175kg of Calphos. I am paying $50 for this recommendation, so I sure hope she is independent.

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

FWIW, triple mix is a very common phrase up here in Ontario...top soil, peat, and aged manure...equal parts.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

"Triple Mix" is different in different parts of the world and the term "top soil" means little since that is simply the top 4 to 6 inches of soil from some place. A good soil mix, even for a raised bed, would be something on the order of 92 to 95 percent mineral (the sand, silt, and clay) and 5 to 8 percent organic matter, compost and any other form of vegetative waste including animal manure. Peat Moss is a non renewable form of organic matter but it has no nutrients, and is not a type of OM that the soil microbes find delectable. That may be why that much manure is added.

Nutrient levels, generally, should be in these ranges.

Phosphorus (P) - 25 to 85 ppm.

Potash (K) - 200 to 400 ppm.

Calcium (Ca.) - 1500 to 4000 ppm

Magnesium (Mg) - 300 to 800 ppm

Optimal soil pH for most all plants would be in the 6.0 to 7.0 range, but 7.7 is not that far out of range.

It would be interesting to see what a good reliable soil test indicated were the nutrient levels.

kimmq is kimmsr

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • kimmq
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

"Forbidden: Access denied". "You do not have permission to view this".

kimmq is kimmsr

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    8 years ago

Both links work for me but I cannot help you interpret the results unfortunately.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

I get the same thing, "Forbidden: Access denied".

kimmq is kimmsr

• waynedanielson
    8 years ago

So your first question, which is simple, has yet to be answered. That implies there are more.

Apply to the beds, don't worry about the turf areas for this application.

So you got a soil test, recommendations from an agronomist, and now you are seeking advice on line. The soil test came with specific fertilizer recs and the agronomist basically reiterated those recs and provided specific products available to you locally. The first thing people online have to say, is to question the credentials and qualifications of your agronomist.

Here's where things get interesting. The answer you get depends on who you ask. One person is going to say the solution is to use this product at this rate, and guess what...no matter what the question is, that is their advice. The next is going to say, use more or less. The third is going to say, if you really want excellent results, forget about those other products, use this one. The next is going to say, you really don't have to do anything at all. You really do get to find the answer you desire, and the beauty of the internet is, they will come to you. Whether it's the right answer...well, of course, that's the one I have to provide ;)-

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lolz Wayne, thanks for noticing the original question.

My 2nd question is how to get the right amount onto each bed. I have already done the maths to figure out what weight of amendment X is required on beds A, B, C...and I have a small battery operated seed broadcaster...so do I just pick an application rate and start walking the beds in hopes I make it to the other end with an empty broadcaster? I could do it by hand also or do I put it on its lowest application rate and move back and forth till its empty?

Just looking for people's experience on broadcasting amendments (not seed or pellets, powders)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting