Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen4six

Island pendant lighting help, please!

dietitian
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Help me choose! I really love the all glass fixtures, like this:

especially now that they make LED edison bulbs. BUT- do these lights give enough downlighting for task work on an island? Anyone have glass lights over island that can tell me? Also, do these kinds of fixtures collect dust like crazy?

Other choice is THIS in white with polished aluminum cage, or alternatively, a similar fixture without any cage.

My kitchen finishes are lower blue/gray cabinets, white uppers, soapstone counter, bamboo finish carrara marble backsplash, white cerused oak floor, polished chrome handles. See below for most of the finishes in a pic collage.

Comments (11)

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

I was looking at similar fixtures for over our island and was advised by others here that the Edison bulbs do not throw the same light and aren't great if you're relying on them as the main light source. Do you have cans as well?

Love your choices BTW and hope you'll share finished pictures when it's done. We are also doing different coloured lowers and white uppers and I like how the clear glass keeps the visual clutter down. We went with a three light pendant from Thomas O'brien with white shades which I'm hoping has the same effect. I considered the one you linked from barn lights and think it would look great in your space, too (the one I looked at was at Schoolhouse Electric or maybe Rejevenation - they have nice choices too if you haven't looked there already).

• perky_2
    8 years ago

Mom2sulu - where did you get that beautiful pendant?

• mom2sulu
    8 years ago

Thanks, Perky!

It is from the Kichler Everly series. It is quite large, approx. 18" wide. I have two of them over my 9 ft island. Btw, I also forgot to mention that we did add a can light to the center of the island over the sink. (I did not want three large pendants.) The three lights illuminate my island well. Hope that helps!

• perky_2
    8 years ago

Thanks mom! Found them.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had a consult with a decorator because I was too nervous to make a decision. She ended up adding a color to the perimeter countertops, so I went from two-tone to three-tone to four-tone (!!!!) kitchen color scheme. But I like what she did. She darkened the cabinet color on the largest wall to BM Normandy. Here is the color scheme now:

She also said I needed lighting with more punch to it. She recommended black lighting. Here are a few options I liked-

• traci_from_seattle
    8 years ago

Love your new lighting choices!

• jdez
    8 years ago

I would choose the glass or a chrome light fixture to match your pulls. I am a clueless decorator though.

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

Hmm. I may prefer your original color scheme. Here's a collage of the elements as I understand them currently, with the lights. The floor looks off but focus on the color(s).

• nancyjwb
    8 years ago

I like the idea of using black lighting to set off your soapstone. Of the ones you posted, the first one looks best to me. I wouldn't do the brass interior since you have no other brass; it may be too much.

I'm curious why she added a color to the perimeter (you said countertops, aren't you still planning soapstone?). It goes together well, but will not be too much? So all the cabinetry on your long wall will be the Normandy?

• dietitian
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Nancy she added the other color for cabinets (sorry typo on the countertops, it is the cabs) because she said otherwise it was kind of the effect of a chair rail in a large room. Something needed to break it up.