Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ker9

Where you do you keep your kitchen towel?

ker9
8 years ago
I'm planning a remodel and want to design a place near the sink for a towel. I'm hoping to keep the area free from water damage, too, unattainable goal?

Comments (22)

• Diane Land
    8 years ago

If the towel is just for holding dishes while they dry on the counter, why not use one of those fabric dish drying mat instead? They have a honeycomb side that keeps the moisture away. If you mean a place to hang a towel , most people hang them on the inside of a door under your sink.....

• PRO
    Queen Bee of Honey Dos
    8 years ago

Do you mean dish towels or paper towels? I keep my dish towels and rags in a drawer next to the sink. Paper towels can be under-mounted beneath a top cabinet or even on the inside of a sink cabinet.

Some suggestions for a kitchen remodel.

http://www.queenbeeofhoneydos.com/microwave-location-options/

• ker9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hand towels for drying hands as you work in the kitchen near the sink. Do you leave it on the counter? I would think constantly opening a cabinet to get a towel would be annoying and create water damage. I'm now wondering if there is something I can attach to the dishwasher.
  • PRO
    Queen Bee of Honey Dos
    8 years ago

I normally hang it over the sink (farm sink) unless there is company. Then I put it away. If your remodel includes appliances, you could get a dishwasher with a handle and hang it over it. You can see an example in my kitchen here -http://www.queenbeeofhoneydos.com/decor-design/. (Feature and first images).

• acm
    8 years ago

There are all sorts of hooks for this -- you can get a plastic ring that you press a towel into (it pinches one corner and you can reach the rest), or a bar that can be hung across a cupboard door, and so on. We often just close the edge of one in the lip of a rarely used drawer, and then it's handy, but we only do that because our doors are a nonstandard thickness...

• ker9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Maybe I should try to add a stainless cabinet door under the sink then there wouldn't be a worry about water damage. Seems like this design detail is often overlooked.
  • ker9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I found a lot of older garden web posts on the same issue with no real solutions. Was hoping something new and exciting had come along.
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

our dishwasher has a handle that we put the towel on. when doing a big load in, or unload, we set the towel on the counter. for just popping an item in we hold onto the handle holding the towel too so it doesnt land on the floor.

much better than the previous owners who had an over door holder as shown above and ruined the finish on the door.

if you are limited to the over door bar, don't hang *wet* towels on it, dry them someplace else. if you are just drying your hands on the front side nothing bad will happen to the cabinet.

• bungalowmo
    8 years ago

Fridge handle

• bluedogdecorating
    8 years ago

I assume you are talking about a hand towel. I keep mine hung on a command hook on the side of the fridge. In my previous home I hung a towel ring on the side of a cabinet over the sink. My mom keeps a towel bar on the end of her cabinets. I've always avoided hanging them off appliance handles because they tend to get in the way while using those appliances, or just end up falling on the floor.

• jhmarie
    8 years ago

My fridge is close to my sink - drawer cabinet between fridge and sink cabinet. I have a magnetic towel rack on the side of my fridge - so wet hands just drip over the counter - at least that's the plan. Kids don't always cooperate:)

• Anita
    8 years ago
    I am using a hand towel stand next to the sink.
    Look for 'hand towel stand' in Amazon
  • bestmom60
    8 years ago

My hand towel is hung from the bar on my oven door and I keep the "dishes only" towel inside a cabinet beneath the sink.

• Gurpreet Dhillon
    8 years ago

hello everyone please take out time and reply to my post( on dark wood vs light); need to decide today. thanks :)

• msrmom
    8 years ago

To keep a towel handy, purchases a super long version of a cabinet pull (big box stores usually stock several sizes in stainless) and install on the false drawer front by the sink. Very convenient because then it's right there. You can also see that I have one of those over the door towel racks inside my cabinet which is where I store extras. You can see I also have one on the end of my kitchen island.

If you like this idea, one tip is to get it very long, like as long as looks good in your space because it does occasionally get caught on my clothing and it ifs wider that happens less. Or get one like the one on my island with a curved end so there's nothing that can get stuck (but I haven't seen that style large). Depending upon the size of your cabinet (and the color you want) you may need to custom order. I think I found my long black one on Amazon, but as I mentioned stainless is usually in stock locally as was the shorter black one I used for my island. Don't think about a real towel rack, these are cabinet pulls repurposed. A towel bar would stick out way to far. These have a nice low profile.

Good luck!

• Christine R
    8 years ago
    I agree with the counter hand towel stand. I place it near my sink for handy access, I worry about mildew if it goes inside a cabinet and destroying wood if on outside. Mine has two tiers. One for hand towel and one for dish rag. I got it in bath section of Bed Bath and Beyond
  • charleee
    8 years ago

I don't have a kitchen towel, I use paper towels exclusively. We're in an extreme drought here in California so I don't see the point in using extra water to wash kitchen towels, as well as rags. My paper towels are made from recycled fibers and I recycle them again so I think I'm ok.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

good idea charlee, i'm not opposed to paper towel usage. but check with your recycling guidelines to make sure you should recycle them, my town recycles almost everything but paper towels are no nos

• D DN
    8 years ago
    Most often we use a new towel every meal to cook. That same towel is used to clean the countertops. Then it goes in the dirty laundry. For any other mess, we use paper towels.
  • ker9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    All good comments. What about a towel near the sink on an island with no walls/fridge nearby. I agree with others about mildew concerns for towels in cabinets, plus if your hands are wet you are getting the cabinet all wet trying to get to the towel.

I guess will just leave it on the counter and change it out daily.
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I always have a couple of dish cloths on the draining unit in the sink. They are replaced daily. A towel for an occasional bit of dishwasher drying is hung on the oven door.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH