Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulaaruggiero

Newbie here! Some tree (crape myrtle) help please!

paulaaruggiero
8 years ago

Hi all! I'm new here - thanks for having me! I live in central NC (zone 8) and I want to plant some pretty trees along the sides of my fence. After doing a decent amount of research, I've decided on crape myrtles, I think. :) I don't necessarily need shade, and some privacy would be nice, but I don't want them growing waaaaaay over my fence, lest my neighbors complain. I am looking at Cherokee and Hopi. What do you think? I'd prefer quicker growing, of course, but also fungus/mildew resistant. Here's a pic of my fence line in the back! Thanks in advance!!

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

i dont do CMs ...

but let me tell you .. no tree .. nor shrub.. ever stops growing at some magical height ...when they get up to or past the height you prefer ... you learn how to maintain them.. thru pruning ...

and anything called 'fast growing' .... is going to shoot right past your preferred height ... so there is a real catch 22 there ...

below is a link to a planting guide ... so when the other folks name the plants you should try ... you have a heads up about planting them ....

good luck

ken

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

• paulaaruggiero
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks!!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    8 years ago

Crapes are fine. May I suggest planting more than one species of bush/tree. That way if a mysterious Turkish Crape borer springs up you suddenly aren't left without. Learn from the mistakes made at the Gateway Arch grounds where they planted all Ash trees and the Chestnut monoculture mistake before that.

In my zone viburnums are similar to Crapes as both are shrub like here.

• paulaaruggiero
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Awesome, thank you!

• sowen18
    8 years ago

Crapes can also take heavy pruning (we call it crape murder around here)...so you can keep at the desired height.

• paulaaruggiero
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to do crape murder on my trees...I think they are so much nicer when pruned gently. But anyway, can you suggest another tree that would look nice with the crapes? Thanks!!

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

One consideration with 'Cherokee' is powdery mildew resistance... which I'm guessing is not a major problem in your part of NC. Its resistance is ok, but not as good as the indica x fauriei hybrids; 'Hopi' is a hybrid, 'Cherokee' is l. indica.

• RugbyHukr
    8 years ago

Agreed. I find the indica x fauriei hybrids to be much more resistant. Natchez White is a great one.

• paulaaruggiero
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wonderful! Thank you!!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    8 years ago

With any deciduous tree like crapes, you will have no privacy in winter. I'd consider planting at least a few 'Chindo' viburnums for a fast upright evergreen to provide that year-round privacy. Glossy leaves are gorgeous, deer-resistant. Best to plant about 5 feet or more from fence. You might also include some spineless upright hollies like Ilex integra if you can find it. Also perhaps a Teddy Bear magnolia.

Your neighbor has the right to trim anything that grows over the fence line, which may also reduce your privacy, depending on how closely you plant it to the fence.

• paulaaruggiero
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I was thinking about a teddy bear magnolia but I've heard they have their share of problems...invasive, lots of raking,etc. I'll look up the others you mentioned. Thanks!!

8 years ago

Invasive? A Magnolia? Doubtful. Everything drops leaves. So there's cleanup regardless of what you put in. Crapes drop a lot of spent blooms and can stain concrete and track in the house. I know! I have 7 of them! Still love them.

I really enjoy my 'Teddy Bear' Magnolia. 'Baby Grand' is another smaller variety if you can find it. Great marketing name for a dwarf Mag. grandiflora! But less upright than Teddy Bear.

• paulaaruggiero
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, full-size magnolias have extremely invasive roots. We are told here in Central NC not to plant them too close to the foundation of the house. Yeah, I don't mind the crape blooms, and they won't be anywhere near our concrete. I won't be raking that debris, lol. But I've heard the magnolia leaves do not decompose as quickly as other leaves. I will check them out - I think magnolias are just gorgeous. Thanks!

8 years ago

I would not plant a 'full-size' magnolia there, but Teddy Bear stays more upright and compact and that's why I suggested it. Although honestly I cannot get a sense from your photo how far the fence is from your house or how planting some screening would affect the 'play space' left in the yard.

• paulaaruggiero
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I know, it's hard to tell from the pic. :( I love the idea of the teddy bear magnolia, because they are gorgeous. Heading to a local nursery tomorrow...hopefully they have some of these suggestions! Thanks!!