Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I've decided I love the art niches!

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I wasn't too sure about the art niches in this house before we moved in. Having lived there for just over a month now, I am finding that I really love them. Seems these aren't being done so much in new homes in my area these days, so at first I was a little put off that the builder decided to do them in THIS one, but now I'm glad they're there. We still have a couple of large canvases to hang in the upper niches in the foyer (first we need a ginormous ladder and nerves of steel), but I wanted to share the pic of this niche just outside of our master bedroom.

I adore this framed photo of a 1920s Hopi basket maker. My dad made the frame, so it's very special to me. My brother hung it in the niche for me (it's very heavy), and I just realized last night that the arch at the bottom of the frame and the "shelf" of the niche create the perfect place to display an honest-to-goodness Hopi basket that speaks to the subject matter of the photo. The basket is flanked by two little Navajo pots that I hope my "big guy" DH can keep from knocking off as he passes by.

Little "discoveries" like this just make me so darn happy!

Comments (18)

• jjam
    8 years ago

oh my, that is perfect!

IdaClaire thanked jjam
  • Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

Good job! Personally, I'd rather have a smooth wall to hang art without the size limits of the niche, but then there would be no place for the accessories. I do hate to dust :-)

IdaClaire thanked Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
  • deeinohio
    8 years ago

Looks great! I've always been fond of that particular piece. You might use some earthquake adhesive to keep the objects in place.

IdaClaire thanked deeinohio
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Nice.

IdaClaire thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Butternut
    8 years ago

Oh what a perfect spot for those pieces!

IdaClaire thanked Butternut
  • DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

That's true serendipity! Glad you are embracing your home. It sure is fun to see all the little (and not so little) things you are doing to personalize it and your joy in the process.

IdaClaire thanked DLM2000-GW
  • katrina_ellen
    8 years ago

It couldn't have worked out better, it is a perfect combo.

IdaClaire thanked katrina_ellen
  • Oaktown
    8 years ago

The frame is beautiful, your father is very talented.

IdaClaire thanked Oaktown
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Looks perfect in that niche. Also was going to suggest museum putty. Didn't know it by the name 'earthquake putty' but that makes total sense.

IdaClaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm a little leery of quake putty. I used it in numerous places in my old house, but when we were clearing out the house to move, I noticed it took off the paint finish in a few places (walls and fireplace mantle come to mind immediately). I was very gentle in removing the putty, and in most cases it peeled away just fine -- but in some areas the paint just came right along with it. No bueno.

That said, the stuff really does the job to hold objects firmly in place!

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

I would have thought with all the art you have Jen, that you planned the niches. They all look amazing. This is extra special because of the beautiful frame your Dad made. And yes, the basket and pots on the ledge underneath are perfect there.

IdaClaire thanked justgotabme
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You might try the sticky stuff used to adhere discount cards in circulars or credit cards in mailings. Not as sticky as museum putty, but should withstand an inadvertent nudge by big guy. I use it to level wall decor if needed. Oh, and I'm jealous. You have a new home custom-made to your gorgeous furnishings!

IdaClaire thanked User
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much! I'm pretty sure I have a little wooden stand (in about the same color as the main portion of the frame) and the basket might look better displayed on that, instead of just being propped up there. Oh, the details! Why are there always so many details! ;-D

• cliff_and_joann
    8 years ago

Oh, how I love that frame! it looks perfect in that spot.

IdaClaire thanked cliff_and_joann
  • User
    8 years ago

I've used clear museum putty (assume it is the same kind of thing) on many painted surfaces with no problems, but don't remember the brand. If it comes to me I will post.

The print/ frame/ basket all looks fantastic together!

IdaClaire thanked User
  • Bunny
    8 years ago

I love that frame!!! It's a work of art unto itself.

IdaClaire thanked Bunny
  • lionors
    8 years ago

What a fabulous frame! I love craftsman style.

IdaClaire thanked lionors