Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Noticed another oops. What do you think?

cpartist
8 years ago

As I was showing the updated plans to DH, he asked that when he is in the shower, where will his towel be when he comes out of the shower. Oops!

So first is the updated hall/master suite with no way to reach for a towel when in the shower and the first is my idea of switching the shower and the toilet. Thoughts?

Comments (20)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hmm, sometimes the most simple solution is the best. :) Nini, shows we were overthinking it. LOL.

• nini804
    8 years ago

I only know this because we had a very similar situation....no big wall near the shower. The hook is very handy!

• chispa
    8 years ago

I think I might like the window in the toilet room more ... less claustrophobic and cheaper to do if it doesn't have to be water resistant. It also feels a bit more open with one less swinging door. You could even do a frosted french pocket door and the toilet will feel even more spacious. Make sure if the shower moves to the inside, that you have a wet rated recessed light in there. I have two 4" LED in my shower, even with a window in there. The lights are on a dimmer, so great for when you want it bright to clean and also when you take a very late shower and want it dimmed a bit.

cpartist thanked chispa
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can you put a towel bar or a hook on the toilet room door? It would be difficult to open the toilet room door if it was moved to the outside wall and a pocket door would have to be set inside the exterior studs and the tub is already tight

cpartist thanked User
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Chispa. I think I'd prefer the shower on the outside like I had it.

Thanks JDS. As Nini suggested, I'm going to put a hook on the toilet room door. I appreciate your comment about the pocket door. I was wondering about that.

The tub shouldn't be quite so tight. I had told the draftsman I wanted a 5 1/2' tub and that is a 6' tub he is showing, so there is a teeny bit more room there.

I'm going to leave it as is and add a hook on the toilet wall. :)

• dekeoboe
    8 years ago

I always just throw my towel over the shower door. As long as the shower is a good size, it doesn't get wet and is well within reach.

cpartist thanked dekeoboe
  • juddgirl2
    8 years ago

I have these vintage hooks from RH and they work really well to either hold 2 towels or to spread 1 towel out to dry. They're also pretty!

cpartist thanked juddgirl2
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

dekeoboe, our shower is 3'8" x 5'. I find even in my 6' shower I have now, i spray a lot.

juddgirl2 that is a beautiful hook. Just the type I'd be looking for. Thank you.

• Rachel (Zone 7A + wind)
    8 years ago

Get a train rack for inside the shower or above the bath. Hook for while showing though.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Train rack above bath but not inside shower. As I mentioned when I shower spray goes everywhere.

• speaktodeek
    8 years ago

The bottom picture: the pocket door to the potty room is probably incompatible with the plumbing you will need in that same wall space for the tub.

cpartist thanked speaktodeek
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I'm probably derailing the post....but why do you want an elevator, again? I've been trying to remember, since you said earlier you would not be worried about handicap/accessibility with this home. It's a walking neighborhood, etc.

So....why the elevator? Was it to move supplies up to the studio? Sorry, I've been out of the loop (helping to build deck) and I probably missed some important info :)

cpartist thanked Lavender Lass
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Was wondering where you were LL. :)

A couple of reasons.

1. Our neighborhood's average age is retired a long time ago. LOL. Because of that, 2 story homes are a harder sell without an elevator. So while this is our "forever" home, one never knows for sure. Most homes in this part of FL are one story and those that aren't either have an elevator or sit on the market a long, long time.

2. Just in case.

3. And yes, I'll use it to move supplies and even things like suitcases up and down. Plus if my Dad or someone else who can't climb stairs wants to visit, they can.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Speaktodeek, after I posted, I did some more research and realized exactly what you're saying. What got me is that in our current condo, we didn't even have enough room on the wall to put a hook. As long as there's enough room for a hook, we'll be fine with it as is.

• speaktodeek
    8 years ago

More than that, on close inspection, it looks like neither drawing will work for the tub as is. The plumbing for the tub looks to need the same real estate as the wall corner. The framing of the wall corner will be solid studs, no space to run plumbing.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Plumbing can run up through the floor. I'm planning on a floor spout. It's a claw foot tub. Plus the tub is 6" shorter than shown in the drawing

• shadeshill
    8 years ago

I like the wet zone well away form the path from door to toilet to sink, because wet socks are nasty.
    But maybe you and yours are better at keeping the wet in the shower than my family members are.

cpartist thanked shadeshill
  • Linda Gomez
    8 years ago

In our neck of the woods, code requires shower doors to have an outswing. They can swing in but must have the outswing.

cpartist thanked Linda Gomez
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the wet zone well away form the path from door to toilet to sink, because wet socks are nasty.
    But maybe you and yours are better at keeping the wet in the shower than my family members are

I am keeping the layout as it is in the top version. :) So wet socks shouldn't be an issue. It's an excellent point though and one I hadn't thought of but now that you mention it, I have to agree with you.

In our neck of the woods, code requires shower doors to have an outswing. They can swing in but must have the outswing.

The door will swing both ways. Not sure what code is in our neck of the woods.