Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahandbray

What are your favorite parts of your pool/deck area? Just starting...b

sarahandbray
8 years ago

Hi there!! We are on a relatively small budget for a pool in upstate, NY. I would say, 25K for the pool stuff (w/o fencing).

What are your must haves in the pool? For me, so far, it's size (BIG! 20'X40') and heated (so we can use it May-Sept).

What are your must-haves on a limited budget?

Sarah

Comments (8)

• c9pilot
    8 years ago

Mine was the Shellock Artistic Pavers. Not slippery when wet, don't get get too hot in the FL sun, and pretty. That was the big splurge.

That said, you can't get anything except a very simple, small kidney pool with zero features for $25K around here. That's the starter price that the pool builders advertise to get you in the door. That size and with a heater? No way.

• sarahandbray
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, really? Here I have a quote for a 20'X40' pool with heater and salt water filter for $25K (no fencing).

Huh. And I thought it would be cheaper in the southern states to have a pool installed!!

• User
    8 years ago

Hmmm, that seems really low for a big pool. Have you gotten multiple quotes? I would worry that they are going to hit you with a much larger bill later because something wasn't included. Or they are skimping on equipment and you will have to replace it very quickly? It just seems really really cheap.

I agree that size cannot be fixed later. You also need to consider how much decking area you need, you will need a lot more than you think. If you can't add it all immediately have a plan for how it can be added later. Make sure your equipment pad is adequately sized and appropriately located. Equipment can be loud you may not want it right outside your bedroom or by the outdoor living area. The heater would be important in your area to extend use. Lighting and water features can be very hard to install later too. But I guess wouldn't be budget pool items.

• MongoCT
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm in CT.

I used a medium gray plaster on a gunite shell, so the pool has a dark "pond water" type of look versus a bright blue water look. My pool (also 20x40) warms up quite nicely on sunshine alone. No solar cover, etc. Summer it stays in the high 80s, in a long hot spell it can turn to bath water in the low 90s.

I do have a propane heater that can heat the pool and spa. I heat the spa, but haven't heated the pool since the kids went off to college. A 400k Raypak. I open the pool in April and close it in November. For heating the pool you'll want a 400k heater.

Favorite simple things? I love the gray plaster and the dark subdued color of the water. I put turn tiles at each end of the pool for swimming laps.

Dislike? The 3' wide ribbon of Kool Deck around the pool. I would have preferred to not have it and instead have stone coping, but for budget purposes I did the pool with the Kool Deck right away, as the kool deck was part of the pool package. Then the next year I installed the roughly 1800 sqft of stone patio, built and installed the 450' of cedar fence, and built the 16' by 40' pergola.

Step by step.

pool

• angelalynnpen
    8 years ago

That price seems too low........in texas, our 20x41 is 75k cost

• Dana
    8 years ago

We use our shelf much more then thought we would, also love the led light.

Ours is a 12' by 6' shelf. Really glad we did a sports pool, but we don't have kids. Our pool 14x28 cost 37K No heater, pebble sheen, travertine pavers. I was fine with concrete pavers but at the last minute they were out of some of our sizes and we would have had to wait 4+ weeks for them to be made. These pictures were taken when first filled so furniture hasn't been put around. The large area 15x12 we use for a fire pit area. We have a covered deck that is 14x30.

• Dana
    8 years ago

Sorry...39K with the added cost for travertine over concrete pavers:(

• rosemarybaker518
    last year

We love our outside kitchen And the bar area...glad we did that. It's the first place people go to!!