Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jentsu926

What if I don't want to buy a bigger pot? Need advice.

jentsu926
8 years ago

Probably a basic/dumb question, but I have a lovely Chinese Evergreen that is growing well and may need a bigger pot by next Spring. However, I really like this pot that it is in and don't want to spend so much money to upgrade it to a...15 inch pot? I don't even know what the next size up is.

I know I could divide the plant and transfer the divided half to another pot, but could I also just trim the roots significantly and keep in it the same pot, as long as it doesn't topple over?

Most of my plants are in window sills and are tiny, slow growers, so they just don't get that big, frankly. Chinese Evergreen, however, is about 2 feet high and about a foot wide.

I'm pretty impressed with its growth, and very grateful, just uncertain about next steps. Advice?

Comments (16)

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Just leave it in the pot until you are ready to put it in a larger container.

People leave plants in pots for YEARS on end. It just keeps them smaller.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    8 years ago

You can absolutely and should root prune the houseplant come the growing season for the plant. It could remain in that pot for a long time if done properly.

There are some excellent posts on the forum re: root pruning so do a search and read. You have plenty of time to study before taking it on next year. You should be prepared to give it new (fresh) soil/mix, FYI.

jentsu926 thanked Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

Do you have a pic of this guy? At some point, a plant is in as big of a pot as it will ever need. Just change the soil & trim off the pancake of roots at the bottom of the pot, if/whenever one develops.

jentsu926 thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here he is:

jw · More Info

Sorry for the bad lighting. Sun is setting here.

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

I wouldn't do anything until it outgrows the pot. It appears it has a lot of room and I would leave it alone. Wait until the plant fills the pot.

Jane

jentsu926 thanked jane__ny
  • laticauda
    8 years ago

Yeah, that pot is pretty big already!

Are you having trouble with watering frequency or something?

• jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey, Laticauda--watering frequency is not an issue. This might be the easiest plant I have as far as that is concerned. I was really just looking for what I might do with it next season. You wouldn't believe it, but when I first got it, it was in a 7 inch pot and really pot bound. I upgraded to this one, which is about 10 inches, and it grew a lot. All those leaves at the bottom that you see are from this growing season--it was kind of tall and spindly before. I guess my thought was, if it grows at a similar rate next year, I may have to get a new pot come spring, a much bigger one.

I only ask because I saw HUGE Chinese Evergreens at my local nursery. I am sure it was many plants grouped into a single pot, but they were large, in my opinion. Not just wide, but tall enough (3 feet?) to be a short floor plant.

• jamilalshaw26
    8 years ago

It sure is beautiful

jentsu926 thanked jamilalshaw26
  • laticauda
    8 years ago

Different types of Agloanema have different full grown sizes. In ideal conditions would be different than etiolated growth but you know what I mean.

is your variety one that grows large?

• laticauda
    8 years ago

If it needs anything next spring, it's a repot not an up-pot. ;)

jentsu926 thanked laticauda
  • tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

Growth rate and vitality begin to fall under the limitations of root congestion at approximately the point in time when the root/soil mass can be lifted from the pot intact. The plant can be potted up w/o concern you're creating future problems if you pot up BEFORE the root/soil mass gets to that state of congestion. Beyond that stage of congestion (root/soil mass can be lifted from the pot intact) the limitations are permanent, even if the plant is transplanted into the landscape - unless the root issues are corrected by root pruning, the preeminent exercise of repotting.

It's not unusual for me to purchase a nursery plant and repot it into a pot less than half the volume of the pot it was purchased in, and in which it exhibits significantly greater vitality as a result of the execution. It might be several years before the plant grows enough to warrant being in a pot the volume of which is equal to that of the nursery can it was purchased in.

Al

jentsu926 thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmm. I am not entirely sure of this variety. Could it be Malay Queen or Beauty? Definitely not Silver Queen--leaves are not rounded enough. There was no tag on the plant.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2881353/aglaonema

I'll keep it in the pot it is in for awhile--thanks to everyone who chimed in--but now I want to know how big this variety gets!

Suggestions?

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Post in Russ's Aglaonema thread and he should be able to help you with identification or at least get you going the right direction.

jentsu926 thanked laticauda
  • jentsu926
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, laticauda! I will give that a go.

• ronalawn82
    8 years ago

jentsu926, hopefully you will be able to ID the variety HERE It is quite surprising how much this plant will grow without repotting. Tiffany's suggestion of taking a slice off the bottom of the root ball and resetting it on some fresh medium, works well. My suggestion would be to reset the plant in a nursery grow pot (for the drainage holes) and set the whole in a water tight container. That way you will be able to water from the top and remove the drained water from the outer container (with a turkey baster).