Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lospoblanos

need help! Does anyone know if you can have carrara marble edge piece removed due to obvious seam

lospoblanos
11 years ago
I had honed carrara marble counters installed. The Installer added an extra piece of marble on the edges to create the look of a thicker piece of marble. Unfortunately, the seams are so noticeable. I want to know if this added piece could be removed and if anyone else has experience in this. i just want to have all my info before i approach the installer and he says it is not possible or will not do it. thanks!

Comments (31)

• PRO
    9H Builders
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    That is unacceptable. He should be able to remove and polish that up. He may need to remove the whole top to do it properly though.
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks! i had read that heat could be used to loosen the adhesive between the pieces to allow that "extra" piece to be able to be removed. I appreciate your comment very much because I did not want to come across as being "too Picky" to the installer.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    It really doesn't look thicker than normal. Is this a thin 1/4" veneer?
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for commenting. It is honed carrara marble. The middle seam is from adding another piece of marble to allow for a longer overhang on the cabinet.
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    It looks like a really bad job to me. Is it because he hasn't got the edge perfectly smooth and straight before making the join? I'm pretty sure it can be done so you can barely see the join. I would get him or someone else back to have another attempt.
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you gingerclaire! I was thinking the same thing, and thought, you know just take the extra jointed piece off and have it 1 single thickness. That way I will not have any seams!
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    I think the same thing can be done better, but if you don't mind the actual thickness of the piece of marble I would save yourself the hassle and just remove it. You will still have to get the edges smooth though. How thick is your marble?
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    a single piece would be 1 1/4 inch thickness. The added piece makes it 2.5 inches thick.
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    here is another picture
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    also do you notice how the veining is not consistent? Do you think I am being to picky about this or is my unhappiness with the results legitimate?
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    Have a look at this blog - I've seen a lot of slim worktops recently in the UK... It can look good with the right cabinets.

http://blog.latitudeonline.ca/default.aspx?Tag=Counter%20top%20thickness
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    You aren't being unreasonable at all.
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much Gingerclaire. I have a smaller kitchen and the thinner countertops may open the space even more. I appreciate you sharing the article with me. very helpful!
  • PRO
    Adapt Architecture & Construction
    11 years ago
    No it looks bad, is not good quality, and I would remove it. We don't often build up marble edges unless we miter the edge down. Mitered edges on marble and granite takes some skill to match the graining. The built up edge may be covering up exposed plywood. If that is the case, make a thin marble trim piece to set back against the plywood or cover it with a trim piece that matches the cabinets.
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you DeWitt Architects. I feel the same way. I have painted wood cabinets so I could work with the single thickness for the countertop. I just hope that he can remove the "added piece" without having to take off all the countertops. Do you know how the installer could remove the "added piece"?
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I read on another blog about an install of carrara marble countertops where the seams like mine on the overhang were bad. The installer came out used heat to help the adhesive release and removed the added piece. have you heard of this?
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    It would really depend on what sort of adhesive had been used by your installer. Can you find an empty tub of the offending product?
  • artemis1
    11 years ago
    I believe what you are describing is a laminated edge. The seam should be barely detectable. The piece in the top picture looks terribly pieced together, like there wasn't enough marble to finish the job. Looks like a poor install to me.
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No Gingerclaire i cant, but i can ask!
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you artemis1. I want to have the added piece of marble on the bottom removed as to have a single thickness countertop. I agree a poor install for sure. I am disappointed but at least I can do something about it for sure!
  • artemis1
    11 years ago
    For sure! And you are not being picky. Whatever it takes, they better fix it to your liking.
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! I know sometimes things are such a fight even when they are obvious!
  • merrymissmary
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much, I'm going to give this a try! (:o] Unfortunately I got the same raw deal you did. Our designer never discussed options with us and instead of getting a clean looking mitered eased edge, we ended up with a built-up/laminated edge with obvious (i.e. ugly) visible seams. $18,000 Calacatta Gold countertops, botched. Makes me sick. Wish me luck with the paint brush! I'm confident I can make them look better. My husband, on the other hand, won't be so confident. So I'm not going to tell him I'm doing it. l:o)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Post pics please! Hope it works out. :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Don't care what installers think of you. Rounds worth I would get legal advice.
  • sbrustein
    10 years ago
    I am really not sure why they added additional pieces to your honed marble counter. Why exactly was this done?
  • PRO
    SOMIYA CREATIONS
    10 years ago
    We fabricate countertops. Actually if the marble is 3/4 of inch, it is generally made this way by gluing a piece at the edge to double the edge. The seam, in this case is inevitable. But the job done by your fabricator is most certainly shitty.
    As far as I am aware, it is next to impossible to separate these pieces. The fabricator will have to change the entire piece, since the measurements of the pieces are so precise that if he cuts off the edge, your counters will be left narrower by almost 1.5 inch. Marble is so soft, and if the fabricator is not experienced enough, they end up with this kind of product. Good Luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I say absolutely make installer change it. Probably hiding something under the strip. I've seen it all. Had granite surround placed on fireplace and installer cut it with a dull saw creating jagged edges and tried to pass it off by overfilling the seams at cracks. When I called the supplier, she said " I noticed that as they were loading it" Well, it went right back to her and the same guys came to install a new one. Watched them like a hawk. I didn't
    want all that gook in the seams. The worker said " you make me nervous." I thought, ah,
    a little stress can enhance performance. Hope my story isn't irrelevant to you, but hang tough. You are the one living with it and as soon as you agree to a messed up job, the workers are out the door and they don't return.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Dear posters, I'm liking your advice tonight
  • lospoblanos
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Roundsworth - hope this helps you! Just a couple of things I wanted to let you know about when you try this technique. The acrylic paint is water based which is fantastic because as you work if you find you are not happy with a certain area all it takes is some warm soap and water to remove the paint. You can also thin the paint by adding water to create the consistency you want to work with. The thinning of the paint will let you soften the seam of the marble but give as natural a finish as possible, if the paint is not thinned the paint will look too opaque. :-) I hope this works for you! I completely empathize with you! I was beside my self when this happened to me. I also did mine without telling my husband! I laughed when I read your comment! :-) good luck!