Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

jumping the gun: backsplash advice

daisychain Zn3b
8 years ago

Well, after 10 months we finally have walls again. Most decisions have been made and I'm feeling a bit antsy to choose a backsplash. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to really make a decision until cabs and floor are in, but I'm avoiding doing my marking for school and thinking about this instead.

The lower cabs are stained black, the uppers are white (shaker). The floor is stained white cork and walls are a warm white that matches the upper cabs. Perimeter cabs are granite that has some white, grey, black and gold (no movement and weirdly not busy considering it has 4 colours). The island is white with maple top.

I've been thinking of using white 4x4's or 6x6's done in an offset/running bond pattern. Anyone have inspiration pics of black and white kitchens they'd like to share? Most I've seen have a white splash and I'm just wondering if there is another option before I commit to white.

Comments (9)

• M Frederick
    8 years ago

Check out the blog "chrislovesjulia" -. They just finished a black and white kitchen that is dream worthy. She has a post about their back splash.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow. That is a great kitchen and incredibly similar to what we are doing. I love the square tile backsplash. I think it does have to be white - otherwise you'd have to keep absolutely everything else quiet so it doesn't get too busy and I'm not sure I can do that (thinking of an orange range down the line). Thanks so much for sending me over there.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I see a lot of white subway tile, which would be similar to squares off-set. Nice look.

Clifford Residence · More Info

I also see some pattern. I like this, but it's hard to say how it would work with your granite. Do you have a picture of your slab or could you use the name to search for a picture on line to help people visualize?

Showroom Display · More Info

Arcadia Residence · More Info

Or you could go for some color.

Spectacular Kitchens · More Info

(I know the color here isn't the backsplash, but I especially liked it and think it gives some idea of what adding color to a black and white room looks like.)

Shy Rabbit Farm · More Info

I'm assuming you don't have an exposed brick wall, but I liked this so I am throwing it in.

East Bay · More Info

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh, I was all set on plain white, but that Arcadia residence black and white design is dreamy and something like that would jazz things up incredibly.

If we did go with white tile, I was thinking of doing a dark grey grout, but again, worry about making it too busy. But also don't want to make it too blah white.

Here is the best pic I could find of the colour of our slab.

Thanks for those great pics!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Daisychain, that's warmer than I was thinking from your description so I'm glad you posted a picture. I'm pattern phobic so I have a hard time seeing that granite with a pattern in the backsplash as well, but I can't really tell scale from the picture. Do you have a name for the granite? I ask because then we could search for it and see if any examples with backsplashes pop up.

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is crystal gold. Some images online look really green, but mine is more grey black and has less brown/gold that in the pic above.

Here is a really bad pic of the space looking into the kitchen from the dining room. They've primed it all now and I'll go today and try to get a pic.

And just for context, from living room looking into dining room.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I tried searching and I'm not sure if these are your granite or not--the lack of consistent names makes it hard.

Do these look like your granite?

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for looking. Those all look lighter and have a bit more movement than ours. Hey, just found a pic - post fire/flood so ignore the accessories.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Oh good. That's much better than my fumbling. It looks like it is much less gold than I was finding images of? I think that's actually a fairly busy granite even though it doesn't have a lot of movement, exactly. I'd be inclined to go plain. Or maybe a black pencil liner if you want a retro vibe?