Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parker25mv

Why does no one plant Malay Apple?

parker25mv
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Malay Apple (not related to regular apples) is a tropical tree. It was brought to the Hawaiian islands by the Polynesians, where it is now known as 'Mountain Apple'.

The tree makes for a nice ornamental and produces exotic looking brush flowers. As a bonus, the tree also produces fruits, very refreshing, with a texture sort of like soft pear and a taste like apple, but more bland. The aroma of the fruit is slightly reminiscent of roses.

Why does no one in Southern California plant this tree?

It would be a lot better than all the ugly ficus I see planted around here.

http://great-hikes.com/blog/images/MountainAppleBlossoms.jpg

Comments (22)

• ilovegardening
    8 years ago

It does indeed look lovely. I'd be happy to have some of those on my property, but since they probably wouldn't thrive, it would just end up being disappointing, you know?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago

If you lived in the desert you would have the heat it might need. Or along the frost free coast,just slower. Try it. They said Coconuts would never grow in California..and both of the climates I mentioned have had coconuts. Fruiting even in the desert.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

I think of two factors; They're only available at specialty nurseries (mainly oriental-run nurseries) and also come with a hefty price tag (can run for $125 for a 5gal).

I think all boxwood and privet hedges should be replaced with Syzygium paniculatum which has nice fruit (not the best-tasting though).

• aquilachrysaetos
    8 years ago

Syzygium P, will make you toss your cookies if you eat too many of them. When I was growing up, we called them 'barf berries' for that reason.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There are people in Southern California growing Java Apple (Syzygium samarangense) and apparently it grows well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbqabzKaykc

Is Java Apple not as tropical as Malay Apple?

I read an online comment somewhere stating that Malay Apple (Syzygium malaccense) is not as tasty as Java Apple, but that Malay Apple has more attractive magenta-colored flowers, whereas the flowers on Java Apple are pale and uninteresting.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Picture of a Malay Apple growing in zone 10b Florida:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2189733/malay-apple-leaves-not-glossy-and-light-green

He said the tree was still recovering from the last Winter, though it looks big and seems to be doing well.

Another interesting fact, Malay apple is distantly related to the Bottlebrush tree, which explains the unusual shape of the flowers. (same family, Myrtaceae)

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Powderfuff Lillypilly (Syzygium wilsonii ) is another ornamental with magenta-colored flowers.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/98122842.jpg

Although it is native to the rainforests in the far northeast of Australia, this site says it is suitable for growing in Sydney, which by extension would mean it would also be suitable for southern California.

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2004/syzygium-wilsonii.html

Syzygium jambos has white flowers and is considered an ornamental. The fruits can be eaten, although they are not really good. It can be grown in South Africa, which has a similar climate to southern California.

Here's some information about "Wax Jambu" (Syzygium samarangense )

http://tastylandscape.com/2014/08/24/wax-jambu/

A little off-topic, but another Australian ornamental that grows in southern California (at least near the coast) is Golden Guinea flower (Hibbertia scandens). It has cheery yellow flowers and its growth habit is somewhere between a low lying bush and a vine.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just went to ONG nursery in San Diego and they have Malay Apple there, and some of the potted trees were pretty big (they have Java Apple, i.e. wax jambu as well). However, there were also all sorts of other rare tropical fruit trees there that "don't grow in California", like durian, and coconut seedlings still growing out of their shells, so I imagine many of these may be pretty marginal climate-wise and challenging to grow.

They also carry ylang-ylang, ixora, and have a large selection of plumerias, for any of you who may be interested.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A few weeks ago I saw several large Syzygium wilsonii bushes growing (in Mission Viego right behind the pool at the apartment complex next to Sycamore park). The bushes were about 6 feet tall, covered in beautiful fiery red puffy flowers. Touching one of them, all the thin flower stamens feel just like you would expect them too, soft like silk (although there is just a little bit of pollen at the tips). Kind of exotic looking and not the usual type of ornamental plant you commonly see.

So apparently Syzygium wilsonii grows just fine in zone 10 Southern California, putting out flowers even in late December.

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Are the Syzygium located in the apartment complex pool area, or the park? I have not seen them offered for sale through retail markets here.

I picked up a Hibbertia last year, since you reminded me about them and I thought it would do well in our sandy soil. Its job is to soften a 5'x5' section of block wall during the winter; be a background plant during the summer. I don't think it will be able to compete with the yellow tecomas for bloom in the summer, but more likely blend in with them as the color is a fairly close match. Appears as if it is preparing to take off with growth next year; we'll see.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

just outside the fence enclosing the pool, it's on the side of the complex opposite from where the park is, against a little sloped hill. not sure if the landscape there is maintained by the city or privately owned. It does seem a little strange. Neither the city landscapers nor corporate-owned apartment complexes are known for rare and interesting plant selections. Maybe the bushes are old, dating back to a time (30 years or so ago) when there used to be more privately run nurseries and much more selection. I think there were a fair number of exotic Australian plants being sold in nurseries here a long time ago, judging by the fact that when we bought our house 24 years ago it already had Golden Guinea flower, and now I can't find that being sold in any nursery around this region. And I don't think the former owners were rare plant collectors. (or maybe it's not that rare and I'm just not looking at the right nurseries, tell me where I can buy them)

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

From what I have experienced, Hibbertia is only occasionally sold in retail nurseries. I bought mine from The Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano, but they rarely have it in their regular stock, unless maybe in the 5 gal. size. I did notice they also had them in 5 gal. the day I bought my 1 gal., but I don't look closely at that sized vines during regular visits. They could probably be special ordered, which I have done occasionally for various plants.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm, I can't find a good picture, but the flowers on the bush looked something like this:

(this is not the best picture though, the flowers on the bush looked more full, a bit more healthy and just a little bit bigger than the one in this picture)

Here's another picture I was able to find: http://plant.daleysfruit.com.au/trees/m/Lilly-Pilly-Powderpuff-1836.jpeg

Here's a good picture.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    7 years ago

If you want interesting Aussie plants, the person to schedule an appointment with is Jo O'Connell up at her nursery near Ojai.

Here's the Hibbertia she currently has available. Although she does grow others.

http://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?id=1302

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Parker, the reason I asked for more specific location details, is I was already scheduled to be in that area today, and I was excited to possibly get to see a plant I have never viewed in person. The shrubs are not Syzygium, however. They are Calliandra haematocephala, or Pink Powder Puff. Calliandra is a commom landscape plant in Southern CA. As you can see from my photos, the Calliandra foliage is composed of bipinnately compound; even pinnately leaves. They are not similar to Syzygium wilsonii leaves.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, that's it. Amazing coincidence you were in the area.

Sorry about that, my mistake. Hope I didn't make you waste your time. (You have to forgive me, they look so similar, even though the two species are not related)

Calliandra haematocephala is native to the tropical climate in Borneo though, right above Australia.

• parker25mv
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This site says that 'Cascade' can survive light frosts: http://www.alpinenurseries.com.au/plant-library/syzygium-cascade/

Cascade is a hybrid between Syzygium wilsonii and S. luehmannii , and has distinctive pink flowers, resulting from the red and white flowers of its respective parents.

"They’ve been around forever, but during the late 1970s, the era of the Australian plant bonanza, native plant enthusiasts and nurserymen rediscovered lillypillies. So much so that a decade later, three or four new varieties were arriving in nurseries every year. " https://www.gardenclinic.com.au/how-to-grow-article/lilly-pilly-lowdown

That would explain why my house originally came with Hibbertia scandens. Apparently exotic Australian plants were the fad back then. Come to think of it, a lot of eucalyptus trees were planted around this time too. Interesting how fads come and go in the world of garden plants.

"Syzygium wilsonii, also known as the Powderpuff Lillypilly, is perhaps one of the most attractive and versatile of the "Lillypillies", though still somewhat unknown and under-used in horticulture." https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2004/syzygium-wilsonii.html

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

I live in south OC, and was visiting a store in the neighboring strip mall. It was only a few hundred feet out of my way, so not a problem, parker. When taking horticulture classes, the instructors got the point across when identifying plants--in general landscapes (not arboretum collections, for example) always rule out the common stuff first, because odds are, it is something that isn't rare. They were right. That is what makes the infrequent "rare" plant finds fun and special!

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

I've been in the industry long enough to have seen some fads go over two hills. lol Usually there is a reason certain plants fall out of favor, such as being difficult to maintain, disease issues or fatal culture quirks. When one of the species you never want to see again start showing up on architects' plans, it is enough to make one cringe. Luckily, I'm pretty much out of that end of the industry now.

7 years ago

And the stuff that is super common is usually super common for the reason that it is bombproof.

7 years ago

A lot of the cool Australian plants are tricky because they just can't take summer irrigation. You would think that would make things easier here but astonishingly that is not the case. Just try getting someone to not water so damn much. It's maddening.