Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26952623

Spray-N-Grow Micronutrients?

User
8 years ago

Hi i wanted to know if anyone has ever used this stuff before (Spray-N-Grow Micronutrients) does it work good and is it worth using on plants ?

spray-n-grow

Comments (18)

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

I tried it once years ago. Did not see anything different.

Jane

User thanked jane__ny
  • SusieQsie_Fla
    8 years ago

I started using Spray-N-Grow when I had lots and lots of plumeria, and I read on the Plumeria Forum that it was better than the ol' blue stuff. I mix it with Bill's Perfect Fertilizer. It's a pain in the butt, though; I don't always have time to wait for it do its thing and I have to spray it when the hot sun isn't on the leaves. So I don't think my plants got any this whole past summer. Much easier for me to use the blue stuff, but I'm convinced Spray-N-Grow mixed with Bill's is really good for my plants. Along with vermicompost, rain water and all that jazz.

Unfortunately, I cannot prove anything!

Sorry,

Susie

User thanked SusieQsie_Fla
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi thanks for the information. I was asking cause I have seen a lot of good and bad reviews about some said it does wonders for there plants and some have said it kills there plants like weed killer.... Guess it's something you just have to try and take a chance on

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    8 years ago

I used to use it and everything went crazy. Especially the mandevilleas and plumeria. I also mixed it with the Bill's perfect fertilizer and the coco wet stuff that came with it. I sprayed it on.

User thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • SusieQsie_Fla
    8 years ago

Hey Dead Guy

I really doubt this stuff kills like weed killer - if it did, I wouldn't have any plants. I even commented on the Spray-N-Grow Facebook page and showed a pic of my angel's trumpet because I thought the stuff was working a miracle.

I hope you'll let us know if you use it this coming spring and how your garden grows with it.

Susie

User thanked SusieQsie_Fla
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Susie thanks for your info about Spray-N-Grow. i was planning on buying it and giving it a shot on a few of my plants and see how it does first than i will use it on all of them... at the time I'm only growing pineapple plants And dwarf banana plants so hopefully it will do wonders to them :)

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

Just to clarify. It did not kill any of my plants. It just didn't do anything, lol.

I used the entire bottle and did not see any difference. Maybe just my experience. It's been around a long time. I tried it in NY and then in Florida. Nothing. But no damage.

I would think if it was a 'miracle fertilizer' it would be selling like crazy. I don't think so. But give it a try.

Jane

User thanked jane__ny
  • tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Spray and Grow

I'm not surprised Jane didn't notice a difference. Analytically, the
    product "Spray & Grow" contains only

.1% Fe (1/10 of 1%)
    .05% Z (5/100 of 1%)
    45 ppm nickel
    < .5 ppm Mo (essentially none)
    .12 ppm Co (essentially none)

So .... nothing at all to shout about.
    It contains no N, P, or K, no Ca, Mg, S, Cu, Bo, or Mn, It also does contain the heavy metals - lead,
    arsenic, mercury, cadmium, and selenium. From a chemical perspective, and
    based on its analysis, it's pretty much useless. Based on analysis, the value of Eleanor's VF 11 to plants would be roughly equal to that of Spray & Grow. Products like these are the likely impetus behind the warning 'caveat emptor'.

Al

User thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • Jane
    8 years ago

I got mine as a gift. I tried it and didn't see anything different. I used it on some impatiens and petunias planted in large flower beds in NY. When we moved, somehow it got packed with all my plant things. I decided to use it up and sprayed it on my orchids. Nothing!

I thought the iron might green up some plants which were showing some nutritional problems. It did not help.

I appreciate Al breaking down the ingredients. I didn't bother looking in to it at all.

Jane

User thanked Jane
  • happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Al -- What is your opinion on Boogie Brew?

Christine

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

One thing about sprayable fertilizers, whatever their analysis, is that one should only expect a very temporary effect. After all, nothing has been done to address whatever shortage of this or that nutrient may be present in the soil. Good for a quick green-up (if an effective product) but not a lot else.

+oM

User thanked wisconsitom
  • whgille
    8 years ago

They recommended the Spray N Grow at the hydroponic store that I go saying a lot of people like it. I did not buy it because with all the humidity that we have here in Florida I just don't like to add more in the form of foliar feedings.

Al, thank you! for sharing your knowledge with us...

Happy Halloween!

Silvia

8 years ago

My pleasure, Sylvia. Thanks for the kindness in your words.

Al

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi i have never used the stuff myself that's why i started this thread wanting to see what others thought about Spray N Grow before i decide to buy it and try it myself. i think i will pass on it and just keep doing what i already do to keep my pineapple plants doing there best already... the thing about pineapple plants is they like a mixture of dry or foliar feeding. so i would guess it would be up to the grower how they wanna feed there plant really

• Jane
    8 years ago

In Florida, it is recommended to use a foliar, micro-nutrient spray for citrus due to Greening. The theory is that if the roots are not taking up nutrients, the foliar spray feeds the tree and keeps it producing. Apparently that is the 'treatment' for Greening and used by citrus farmers until a cure for this disease is found.

Spray-n-grow does not supply the micro-nutrients. It basically supplies iron and some other metals.

Foliar sprays apparently work to feed a plant that is deficient due to soil or root problems. That is my understanding.

Florida has lousy soil. Unless you build the soil and fertilize regularly your plants will suffer. My soil in Sarasota is pure sand. It drains very quickly.

I think foliar sprays can be helpful if you do not fertilize regularly. But I do not believe it is a substitute for feeding the roots.

Jane

User thanked Jane
  • happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    8 years ago

Al - Thank you for all of your thoughts and information on foliar feeding. The compost tea article was very interesting.

I asked the question about Boggie Brew because one of my favorite gardening YouTube channels promotes it.

Like Jane, here in Central Florida, we just have sand for soil. I annually add purchased mushroom compost to my 25'x70' vegetable garden. I am successful at growing a productive garden but I am always wanting to keep an open mind on how to improve it.

Christine

8 years ago

Jane - as noted, if your plants are responding to foliar feeding, it's a pretty good sign there is something amiss elsewhere in what we're doing nutritionally for our plants, and much more traction is there to be gained by focusing on the root pathway by building the soil in gardens/beds (like Christine does), or in containers by adjusting your nutritional supplementation so it covers the bases outlined in the bold paragraph above. I noted there are times or exceptions when foliar feeding might be advantageous, but the occasional exception doesn't negate the tendency of plants to respond much better to nutrients that arrive via the root pathway than by foliar feeding. Also, it just doesn't work well at all for a very high % of plants - especially those with a lot of cuticular wax in foliage to help guard against water loss, and I would think plants like that are very abundant in FL.

Christine - you're welcome.

Al