Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Question about my new LG 4270 Front Load Washer

tvq1
8 years ago

I've had my new washer for almost a week now, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. There's definitely a big "learning curve" coming from an old traditional top loader.

I do have a concern/question about some of the cycles--I've read the booklet front to back and can't find an answer.

I washed a blouse on "HandWash/Wool cycle. Which, according to the chart in the booklet, is supposed to default to warm wash and low spin. The first time i used this cycle, the washer (and blouse!) was hot, hot and steamy at the end of the cycle! How does that work with wool??? My blouse wasn't wool, thank goodness.

Thinking I had not set the buttons correctly, I tried again with a small load. Same thing! Hot, Hot, Hot! I KNOW I had the cycle set correctly!

I can see my clothes shrinking several sizes if I don't get this figured out! That is NOT a good thing, because I am definitely NOT shrinking!

Any ideas??

Thanks,

TVQ

Comments (13)

• georgect
    8 years ago

Either the hoses are hooked up incorrectly or the machine is messing up and opening up the hot solenoid instead of the cold water inlet.

• tvq1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks George--I'll check the hoses. Lowes delivery guys hooked them up--so I assume they correct, but who knows!

• izeve
    8 years ago

Sounds like the hoses are connected incorrectly. All rinses in the new LGs are supposed to be cold, so if your items are coming out steaming hot at the end of the cycle, then you are getting a hot fill on the last rinse.

• tideman_59
    8 years ago

Most likely the water hoses were installed incorrectly.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Alarmingly-common that supply hoses are connected in reverse. Some washers (with electronics) can electrically-reverse the valves to compensate but it typically takes a full cycle for the adjustment to happen ... that is, one cycle will operate at the wrong temps, then the next cycle the valves will be reversed for the duration. If the hoses are corrected, another cycle will be wrong then the valves will reverse again back to normal.

• tvq1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh boy! Sound like a mess- what do we do to fix it??

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Don't just assume that the hoses are wrong, examine the situation to confirm it. Pull the machine forward enough to get access behind it and follow either one of the hoses from the machine to the supply tap. There should be labels of some ilk to identify which is the Hot and Cold connection ports. If they're connected wrong, simply shut off the faucets, disconnect and reconnect both hoses (at either only the faucet end or only the machine end) correctly, turn the faucets back on. It's no more complicated than disconnecting/reconnecting a garden hose from an outdoor faucet. There'll be a little water leakage from residual pressure in the hoses when they're disconnected so have a towel ready to catch it.

• tvq1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks dadoes! I'm not worried about reconnecting the hoses if necessary --that's no problem. We'd planned on checking them later today. I was referring to your post about the washer compensating and reversing (not that I understood it all!)

My husband will check them out this afternoon--I'll keep you posted!

Thanks so much!

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Ah. I was just noting for reference that some machines can adapt to the reversed-hoses problem. I don't know if your machine does the valve-reverse trick but apparently it doesn't since you're getting hot clothes out of a woolens cycle.

It works by way of the machine's temperature sensor detecting that incoming water flow is hot when it should be cold, or vice versa. The control board software swaps the electric circuits for the hot and cold valve solenoids to correct the problem. The sensor again detects the change if the hoses are reconnected correctly and automatically swaps the valve circuits back to normal.

• tvq1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Rest Of The Story: The installer from Lowe's actually hooked them up backwards! After mentioning to us about 3 times that he had over 15 years experience installing appliances. Hmmmm-maybe he's color blind?

I did call Lowe's to let them know--I usually don't complain, but this is a pretty basic job!

Anyway--thanks for all the help and advice! It's all fixed now!

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

UNBELIEVABLE! Well, believable as Sears has done this 3!!!! times over the years for us. Now, we have the units delivered, and we either annoy the hell out of them and watch them literally EVERY step of the way, or we just tell them to bring the unit(s) to the laundry room, and we will install ourselves.

Incompetence and Arrogance (15 "experience" years he told you) p*sses me off to no end!!

• tvq1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, larsi--I'm NOT a very happy Lowe's customer right now! I haven't received a call back from Lowes Management yet………..waiting,……waiting…..waiting!