Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahai6

Bosch 500 Series/800 Series dishwashers

sahai6
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

I am in the process of selecting appliances. My KD has mentioned that Bosch dishwasher (being a European brand) has small capacity and also does not dry dishes properly. Do people on Houzz have same experience with Bosch dishwashers? She has suggested me to buy Kitchen Aid(KA) appliances as they are big in size because KA appliances are American and have more capacity.

Between the 2 models (500/800 series ) which is more prone to repairs, which one is more quiet and which one has dish drying problem?

Also what is the price difference in Bosch 500/800 series and Miele dishwashers?

Any help will be appreciated.

Mindy S.

Potomac Falls, VA

Comments (18)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

You might take a look at the appliances forum and/or cross post there. Generally people here tend to recommend Bosch or Miele.

I have an 800 series bosch. It's my third Bosch--third house. Obviously I have been very happy with Bosch. It uses condensation drying which doesn't bother me in the least. I run my dishwasher at night, when I get up in the morning and unload it the only things that are not dry are the bottoms of cups that have little rims so they hold water. I can't directly compare the capacity but my Bosch holds plenty for me. It is usually just about full at the end of a day with a family of four.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Oh I should have said, I'd look at ajmadison online to get an idea of prices. Ymmv with sales, etc. my GC found me an 800 series on sale for the price of the 300 that I had specified so I said yes, please.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

I have a Bosch 800 series as well. While the dishes don't come out completely dry, they're no wetter than coming out of a "traditional" (in the US) DW with a heating element on the bottom for drying.

What's really nice about not having a heating element on the bottom is that all dishes can go on any shelf and I no longer have to worry about melting plastics, etc.!

As to capacity, I had heard that about Bosch as well. However, I have not found it to hold any less than the KA I had before (and hated!)

We had a KitchenAid (KA) before this (Architect series) and it rarely cleaned all the dishes without washing on Heavy Duty. Even then, silverware and bowls often came out dirty. It also didn't last very long - it died completely after 6 years. Our previous Maytag lasted about 10 years and was still going strong when we remodeled - we donated it to our church to give it to a family in need.

I would never buy another KA.

• romy718
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a Bosch 800 series & love it. Those casserole dishes with baked on potatoes, pasta sauce, etc - they come out clean without pre soaking. It is super quiet. Most dishes are dry, with the exception of plastic lids. I also like the option of putting plastics & other delicates on all 3 shelfs.

• scoutfinch72
    8 years ago

I had a Bosch 500 series in my last house for 6 years and I have another one being delivered on Thursday for my new kitchen. I never had a single problem with my Bosch. I have a family of 5 and we do a lot of dishes. I never had a problem with capacity. Condensation drying takes longer, but I always ran the DW at night after dinner and emptied it in the morning, or ran it in the morning and emptied it before dinner.

For the new kitchen I was trying to decide between the Miele Classic, which retails for $1099 in stainless and rarely if ever goes on sale, and the Bosch 500 or 800 series. I ended up paying $730 for a Bosch 500 series on sale with a coupon and 5% off with my Lowes card. I wanted something with a 3rd rack for cutlery and I wanted it to clean well and be very quiet.

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

I have a Bosch dishwasher and I would not trade it for any other brand. I had a GE previously and did not like it, it did not get dishes clean. By the way, my Bosch holds a lot more dishes than my GE did.

• lharpie
    8 years ago

I have a Bosch 500 and also a fan. Definitely cheaper than the Miele. Capacity seems fine (though I kept having rentals, and even bought a house with no DW, so I'm probably not the best person to ask!!!). I love the third rack - so much easier than using the cutlery boxes on the bottom. I actually took these out so there is more space on the bottom for big things. I've heard the 800 in action and it is quieter, but not enough to be worth the extra money to me. Not sure what the other differences were though. I've always left the DW overnight or to air dry briefly regardless of what kind I've had - I think the heating elements are a waste of energy, so the drying doesn't bother me. It really doesn't take long since everything is so darned hot anyway. the only thing I don't like is tea/coffee stains don't seem to come out that well - everything else is sparkling.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

I plan to use only Maytags in the new house. (we are installing two) The Bosch ones are out of my budget and I have had nothing but good luck with the Maytag ones.

R

• adoiron
    8 years ago

someday i am replacing my whirpool(3years old) with bosch. i have been researching for a long time and bosch seems consistently loved by real humans!

btw kitchen aid, whirpool, maytag are all the same company now. my whirpool does not clean dishes well and i do not bother putting in silverware at all as it never comes out clean! i hand wash at least 50% of my dishes due to the lack of cleaning and yes i have tried all the recommended dw detergents, nothing makes a difference!

i do not use my drying element as it consumes much more electricity so my top rack is always wet anyway. i would bet the bosch's drying is way better than what i have now

• LE
    8 years ago

Ditto results with Bosch described above. For 2 people, we run it every other day and it holds plenty. More than the previous American made, which I think was KA. Maybe just because of not having the basket in there to work around. I also always used that one on air dry, so the overnight condensation drying actually works better. It does keep those dishes warm for quite a while, though! Anyway, we're very happy with it. I am still in the habit of rinsing cereal bowls on autopilot, though-- that never came off before, much less the dried baked-on cheese!

• Micki-Micki
    8 years ago

I have a Bosch 500 series. I have always did the energy saving load on other dishwashers. In comparison, I don't feel that my dishes are alarmingly wet. In fact, I haven't noticed any wet dishes. I also keep my dishes in the machine for hours after the end of the cycle to benefit from the condensation drying.

• debrak_2008
    8 years ago

I have a Bosch and love it. Everything is usually 99% dry if I use a good rinse aid. I had been using Finish dye free rinse aid but tried Seventh Generation. Went back to Finish. You can adjust the amount of rinse aid so that you only use the amount needed for your needs. Often I unload immediately but sometimes the dishes sit. I think the capacity issue is one of people not loading any dishwasher properly. Take the time to load properly and you will fit so much more in. I also think people tend to over load and wait until the dw is 110% full before running.

• sahai6
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about Bosch dishwasher. I was already planning to buy Bosch, but my KD comments about Bosch made me doubt my choice. Anyhow, after reading comments from all of you, my final choice has been made about dishwasher. It is going to be Bosch 800 series!!

Anyhow, can I use any dishwasher detergent for Bosch or is there any particular brand recommended? I prefer to use liquid detergent.

Iharpie......I am a tea drinker and all of my mugs and cups have tea stains. But twice a week I put 1/2 tsp. of bleach (which is meant for white clothes) in each mug and let the mugs sit for a couple of minutes and then you wash the mugs with dish soap. Mugs will be shine like a whistle!

Thank you,

Mindy S.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

I have a Bosch 800 series.

I used to use liquid detergent as well, but I had read somewhere about using Finish tabs and that's all I've used in the Bosch, along with rinse aid. Cleans beautifully and no cakey residue.

• scoutfinch72
    8 years ago

I always used Cascade powder from Costco in the Bosch in my last house and it worked great.

• debrak_2008
    8 years ago

I have tried different brands and finish powerball tabs work the best for me. I do have to take out the screen/filter once a week or so to wash it.

I found that my dishes and cups are so much cleaner in our bosch compared to all the previous kenmores before. You may find you don't need to use bleach. We are major coffee/tea drinkers here and I don't have an issue with staining. I would never use bleach as it is so toxic. Hopefully you won't need to with you new dishwasher.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I use Finish powerball tabs (not Quantum) in my Bosch 800 and they work great.