Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweety2008

Need help, confused and unsure about landscape design.

sweety2008
8 years ago

I will greatly appreciate your help. I recently purchased two
river birches. One a heritage the other a Dura Heat. Not exactly sure I know
the difference between the two (leaves are different), they look similar, one
currently is taller than the other. The Dura Heat was a lot cheaper than the
Heritage, so I bought it as well.

ISSUE 1:

My LANDSCAPE design calls for a Heritage River Birch in my back
yard, close to the deck, about 10 feet from the deck, 8 feet from
corner/foundation of house, and about 6 feet away from property line, I have a
neighbor on that side (SEE PICTURE).

Picture above shows where the tree would be planted according to design. I considered planting the Dura Heat where it calls for the
Heritage (similar tree). I just want to make sure that that is enough
space for the tree to grow and not damage the foundation (years later). Is the spacing enough, is there a difference on
the tree (dura heat vs. heritage). I
love the tree, but not sure it would be wise to plant it there. This is
sooo stressful.

ISSUE
2:

Relates to issue 1. Like
I said, I bought two trees. Considered
planting the second tree at the corner of my house in the front yard near a
Sweetbay Magnolia currently planted about 6 or 7 feet from the corner and away
from the Sweetbay. Would there be enough space and if so, will the Birch look good
with the Sweetbay. I'm in zone 6. Trying to make this work..,but feeling
overwhelmed and confused. Please help!!

PS. I was recommended this distance for the
sweetbay, struggled with it as well, finally planted it. Tree is doing okay, growing very slowly is
seems and appears to look more like the bush version of the sweetbay…we’ll see I
guess.

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

While as with all trees results are going to vary with site conditions Betula nigra is genetically a full sized tree - I think it is too large growing for the planting sites you are showing here. For example Seattle has one with an average crown spread of more than 62' (measured ~2005), with the largest known examples (elsewhere) being on the order of 120' tall with trunks about 5' thick.

You do want something of some size to match the scale of the house but the magnolia will get big enough to do that if it does well. If it is not a superior named cultivar with a tall habit, fully evergreen foliage presentation (more than one example of these has been on the general market in recent years) I would replace it with one, as they are much more attractive than the shrubby, nearly deciduous version that drops all but one or a few leaves here and there.

Another thing I would like to point out is that your house has a geometrically symmetric facade which means that this is one instance where a formal planting with matching pairs and shearing etc. is actually what is called for. A pattern mirroring the design of the front of the house on the ground in front of it and consisting of plants and other natural materials like stonework is what will best serve to integrate your house with the large lawn, which introduces a pastoral feeling. It would also be better to have the plantings extend out from the house more - and perhaps concentrate around the building less - even if the facade was not geometric.

sweety2008 thanked Embothrium
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    8 years ago

It is time, once again, for the Where Are You Song. It is hard to answer any of your questions without some idea of how well the trees are going to do, which is impossible to know without some idea of where they are. Zones are a start, but location is more than that.

• sweety2008
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought I included my zone, which is 6, PA.

• edlincoln
    8 years ago

Embothrium is in Zone 8. I'm not sure you should expect a magnolia to be evergreen in your area.

Lots of folks are overly paranoid about trees too close to the house. 8 feet from the corner seems a bit close. Less concerned about distance from the deck. I'm not really concerned about the foundation...foundation damage can happen, but doesn't always. In the old days people planted trees far closer to shade the house in the summer. I'd be concerned about branches bumping into the house and getting butchered to make them fit.

Keep in mind both birches and magnolia are trees that love moist soil...trees to put in wet areas of your yard.

sweety2008 thanked edlincoln
  • sweety2008
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone!