Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
espouseelucidation

Circular or Rectangular Table for Dining Room / Breakfast Nook

espouseelucidation
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Im in a design pickle. I have a breakfast nook that is serving as the official dining room in my open layout. I want to maximize the amount of guests that can be seated there without it looking cramped. What is the largest table size that you think I can put in here. Currently in the picture there is a 44 inch diameter table with four chairs that do not fit under it at all. I'm going to be replacing the table, but not sure what to get. I had an interior designer tell me long ago that a 60 inch circular would work, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

why not cut out a circle that size (paint drop cloth would be a good thing to use) and set your chairs on it as though pushed in, and pulled out, see how it goes.

getting a table with a pedestal rather than 4 legs will help too.

espouseelucidation thanked Judy Mishkin
  • espouseelucidation
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I definently agree with the pedestal, which is what I plan on getting. I tried visualizing with tape on the floor, but my imagination lacks.

• Barbara Almandarz
    8 years ago

Have you considered a rectangular table? Seating for 6 is standard, and I think the rectangular shape allows for so much more table surface for ease of use. Get a table that has leaves, or expands for those bigger functions. Glass will keep the space look airy and light.

espouseelucidation thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • espouseelucidation
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was considering rectangular, but the lack of symmetry was the only thing holding me back as there is almost no symmetry in my open floor plan. I like the idea of glass, with the airy look, but my style is more of a restoration hardware type of look. Wood and tufted linen furniture, chandeliers, etc. This is the table style that I was leaning towards.

• Bea Parker
    8 years ago
    This may not be the case, but the photo makes it look as if the table and chairs are too far into the nook. I would get a larger round pedestal table and pull it out more into the room. Then chairs should fit more comfortably. If you could find a table with leaves to add when you need more seating, that would be ideal. Also, chairs without long skirts would make the room look bigger and lighter.
    Y
    espouseelucidation thanked Bea Parker
  • Bea Parker
    8 years ago
    I just looked at your photo again and saw that the chairs don't have skirts. Sorry! But the fabric that is used makes the chairs seem bulky. Perhaps wooden chairs with upholstered seats would look better.
    espouseelucidation thanked Bea Parker
  • espouseelucidation
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I see your point. I'm going to pretty much replicating the picture of the table and chairs in my last comment so that should help with the chair skirt thing. It seems to be that a 54inch would be max size.

The table and chairs (with chair covers) are on a temporary loan from my mother because she feels bad that my house has no furniture haha.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

If you have a 54" table (that has a leaf) with a pedestal, you should be able to get the chairs under your table and expand it as necessary. It's just that it's not so easy to find a pedestal base table that has a leaf.

espouseelucidation thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • averil gleason
    8 years ago

maybe a narrow dinning table would work in the room and with your style ?

things i like · More Info

espouseelucidation thanked averil gleason
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I am probably being repetitive but you need three feet on all sides of a table for chair and chair seating and getting into and out of a chair. A banquette might be your best option, but you need movement room. Hope this number helps!

espouseelucidation thanked Susan Davis
  • espouseelucidation
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not sure a banquet can fit in the layout. There are three windows encompassing that area.