Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shmegenhardt

Help! Long narrow living room with 2 off-set archways!

shmegenhardt
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I have a long, narrow living room with two off-set archways that make furniture placement really tricky! (the room is approx. 12ft x 25ft) I'd love to hear your thoughts on what we should do. Most of the furniture will be replaced and the fireplace will be re-done. Just FYI, the house is a brick colonial built around 1927. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    You didn't show us a direct shot of the two openings you mention. Can you add another photo to this post? Add it here, not as a new post. Thanks. The two openings should not be a problem because, my first thought is to plan for getting the furniture away from the walls, floating on a rug and arranged to enjoy your FP. The two ends of the room can function as a reading area and as as an area for a family game/snack table. You have space for this to be a multi-function room. An area rug you love can set the color palette for everything else you do in the room. Lighting is prime too, and you don't seem to have that adequately covered. Window treatments need to be rethought - I wouldn't pull them back, but hang floor to ceiling on a decorative rod and let them fall loosely at each side of the window. They seem to be room darkening. I would prefer something lighter myself.
    Family Room · More Info

tyne boulevard - nashville · More Info
  • shmegenhardt
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Those are good thoughts, thanks! The shot of the fireplace was taken while standing in one of those openings, but I see what you mean - it is hard to tell from the pictures. I will take some pictures later today and post them. You are right, the room is dark and needs more lighting. As for pulling the couches off the wall, and facing the fireplace, I have tried that and because of how narrow the room is and the fact that the opennings are oddly placed, the couches act as a block - repelling you from entering the room rather than welcoming you. I was thinking of maybe getting 4 chairs and putting those around the FP, maybe also a chaise (because it is open) somewhere- maybe in front of the FP? And I love your idea of a reading area or game area. That is sort of what we have now at the end of the room with the bookshelves. We love that little are (just not the oversized green chair - well, let me restate that, people love sitting in the oversized green chair, but I hate looking at the oversized green chair).

Thanks so much for responding! You are very helpful (and kind - no mention of my hodgepodge furniture!)
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with deco above, let's pull that furniture together as she has suggested.On your windows--it looks like that rod is sagging over the big window? Could just be the photo, or you need another bracket. I'd like to see you raise your curtain rods up higher--they look too low where they are now. On the big window, either take that tieback off and slide your panels to the side, or pull it back to hang on a hook on the window frame or wall. It looks silly pulling your curtain into the middle of the window. ;)