Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_degraff

Small, narrow hallway

Kelly D
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a very narrow small hallway that leads from the kitchen to back to the bedrooms. There is no natural light so in an effort to add some pizzaz I had it painted a light grey and now I am spray painting mirrors in a silver to hang throughout. I think I like it but I am not in love with it. I thought I would take a break and get a few opinions from here. What do you think? Keep going or scratch it and try something else?

Comments (36)

• holly98
    8 years ago

The mirrors are overpowering and are only reflecting each other. It's tricky trying to do a collection en masse on the walls. This hall seems like the perfect place to hang family photographs, using similar frames for cohesiveness. Maybe a brighter color on the walls would work too.

• Beth Bevington
    8 years ago
    I love all of your mirrors! Maybe just one at the end of the hall.
    Is there an open space you can use them? They are all beautiful and bring a great designer look. Hopefully you can find the perfect place. The hall is just a little to confined.
    Keep us posted.
  • Architectural Notice
    8 years ago

I like the mirror idea but wouldn't hang more. I think what you have is enough.

• luvcolor10b
    8 years ago

I like what you've done so far. I would consider taking the one mirror down on the left side and painting that wall a lighter shade of gray. Mirrors on one side will make a statement and the negative space (open space) on the opposite wall will give the mirrors a lighter shade to reflect.

• PRO
    Beth Rosenfield Design, LLC – Associate ASID
    8 years ago

Try something else. The gray walls and silver mirrors look cold and cluttered. The gray paint color doesn't complement the tone of your wood floor. A simple gallery* style hanging of black framed prints would look calmer than the mix of mirror styles. I admire your craftiness though!

* Gallery style meaning an odd number (3) of simple black frames (all the same) hung evenly in a horizontal row.

• Darzy
    8 years ago

I really like the concept. I agree with holly98 that it could be too much on all side. How about trying to add the end of the hall top mirror on the right side too? So, you'll have a "random" five mirrors on that wall. Then, hang interesting art to see across from the mirror and at the end of the hall.

• PRO
    Allison Paladino Interior Design & Collections
    8 years ago

Agree with @holly98-- and perhaps installing some more lighting as well.

• Darzy
    8 years ago

Here is your concept that looks pretty cool. But, it's only on one side a grouped tight. Try just the right wall?

Miami-Hall · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

I agree that you could have too much grey and it is feeling a bit cold, but I really like your idea. What about spray painting some of the mirrors in gold and platinum? Mixing silver, platinum, and gold frames may add some interest to the space. Just a thought...

Like Darzy's inspiration photo and her idea of grouping the mirrors only on one side instead of both sides.

• Kristen Perella
    8 years ago
    I think the walls are a little dark. Possible to lighten them? Not sure if the hall connects to another wall. I understand what your trying to do, but the mirrors I think are too random. I think because the shapes are so different, they should be set at the same height. I think if the mirrors were all the same, you could have put them randomly on the wall.
  • unwantedadvice
    8 years ago

I like the four mirrors on the wall and the one opposite them. I am usually an odd number decorator but in this instance it seems to work okay but maybe because of the one directly across. As far as the other two down the hallway further, I am not a fan, the mirrors themselves are fine but I think it would be mirror overload, IMO. Love your colors, too. ~D

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

Interesting....Good suggestions....just getting on this post to see what the outcome will be...Good Luck!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I like the mirrors and agree to hanging them only on one side. Have the mirrors centered at 65 inches high on the wall so you have an invisible line going down the hall for your eye to follow; drawn if you will. I also think it would help possibly but not sure if the mirrors took up 2/3 of wall space between door ways? Give you some breathing room. Put art work at the end as noted. I think I would spary the mirror frames matte black or cerused oak or white and gold if you decor is glam for drama and contrast.

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

The mirrors are giving you either a fun house, or haunted house look. I would replace with white framed photos on one side of the wall only.

And we also had a long narrow dark hall. We replaced our lights with solatube light combos. Really big difference during the day. Lot more natural light.

FALSE CREEK CONDO · More Info

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

If budget allows, check out Solatubes:

Daylighting Small Spaces · More Info

• tqtqtbw
    8 years ago

Love the mirrors but not so many in a hallway. I can imagine frightening myself in the dark. :-)

• beautifulmaryland
    8 years ago
    I agree with luvcolor. take off the left mirror. ..it makes the hallway cluttered. you need one wall that you're not afraid to brush against. I also like the idea of painting the left wall lighter but also think it could feel lopsided. try photoshopping it first.
  • Donald
    8 years ago
    I think that would be a great hallway to install a chair rail and box molding but only on one side. It would add some architectural interest, if you painted it white and left the top grey it would brighten it up and on the opposite wall you could keep your mirrors.
  • PRO
    RRS Design + Build, LLC
    8 years ago
    The houzz picture that Pcmom1 posted was the exact one I was thinking of when I saw your hallway. I think you need to have a mix of paint colors with at least one of the long side walls being a light color (such as in that photo where they left a side wall white). I think your mirror idea was a good attempt and perhaps keeping a cluster of smaller ones at the end of the hallway could still be good. The chunky depth of the frames on the side walls only make the a space feel smaller and large mirrors on the end wall will reflect back at least part of the long hallway. Since the end wall is angled it won't completely make it feel like the hallway is even longer due to the reflection, but some smaller collection of mirrors on just the end wall can still work with the theme you were going for while breaking up the reflection. Good luck!
  • Mark
    8 years ago

I really like the mirrors. I think what I would do is to avoid using mirrors that have a thick frame. The mirrors that are almost flush with your walls look the best. I would only put the mirrors on the one side. I say keep going but keep in mind the thickness of the frames you choose.:)

• PRO
    RRS Design + Build, LLC
    8 years ago
    Adding a run of excesses can lighting down the hallway can also help bring more light into the space.
  • Kelly D
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful ideas and suggestions. I'm going to see the responses from dinner guests tomorrow. Fortunately, most are my relatives who are quite honest (sometimes brutally!)

I took a few more photos to show how that hallway ties into the kitchen and to correct the lighting. I hadn't realized how dark the original pics were until I was reading the comments. My flash was off so the walls look darker than they truly are. The wall with the two mirrors (oval and round) is visible from the dining room table and from other parts of the kitchen.

Mark, your suggestion on the thickness of the frames is excellent and one I hadn't considered. I also like Donald's idea for the chair rail. And Darzy, the inspiration pic is perfect! I also loved the idea of the solartube lights. I looked them up and they seem affordable and worth the investment - but I will need to wait until my husband isn't already overwhelmed by my requests

Thanks again for the thoughts and ideas and keep them coming! Houzzers have helped me out with transforming my exterior and I truly take in the suggestions.

In this pic I am standing at near the dining room table looking towards the front of the house. The room on the other side is the living room.

Room Divider · More Info
    This pic shows the rest of the living room
    House Reno · More Info
    This is the dining room where I am standing to take the pics above

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

Guess I am the lone voice in the wildness not crazy about all the mirrors. Honestly, I feel like I am in the middle of a mirror shop.

If you go with the mirror theme, I would take half of them down (the larger rectangle ones) and space the smaller ones down the hall like this.

Of course, the photo got cut off, so click on!

Elmbrae · More Info

• Darzy
    8 years ago

I still like the mirror idea as well. But, I love PCmom's photo with the black and white framed prints at the end of the hall. Tweak the mirrors, add the black/white photos o art and nothing on the left wall??

• unwantedadvice
    8 years ago
    Kelly, great idea about sharing all of these comments with your family tomorrow for turkey day! I love the pic of your living room. Is that a barn door with tin ceiling tiles attached? Super cool idea! And since you took the pic of the two mirrors from the other way, they actually look nice from that direction. Bottom line is if you like it or not. If you do then all is right in the decorating world. :)
    Kelly D thanked unwantedadvice
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

A cool idea, but in the wrong space. I prefer that mirrors reflect something beautiful or interesting, and the hallway is not providing anything you'd want to see doubled!

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

Hallways are really such wastes of square feet. Is there a possibility of stealing some space from one of the rooms to create floor to ceiling bookshelves? Also, love the warmth the rug brings to this space.

Oceanfront Cottage · More Info

• Kelly D
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@unwantedadvice thanks! and yes, the door in the living room is on a barn door track. My husband made the door - the kitchen side of the door is red while the side in the living room has the tin tiles. We needed to be able to keep the dogs out of the living rom when we are gone - they already ate one couch and ottoman - so we came up with the sliding door idea. If you're interested you can find more pics of the door on my profile page.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Hi there Kelly! I think the mirrors look great but for the look you are trying to achieve I think you could use some contrast. Instead of having everything grey/silver, try painting the frames black or white to stand out against that grey wall. Maybe add some photos in with the mirrors too for a gallery style! Also try adding some plain textures in, since all the mirrors have a texture or pattern to them. Good luck!

Kelly D thanked User
  • eveuchan
    8 years ago
    I would put all mirrors on one wall and remove the ones on the end wall.
  • pcmom1
    8 years ago

I keep imagining waking up in the morning, heading out for my coffee, before shower and makeup and catching my reflection. Now that is scary.

• pcmom1
    8 years ago

Edvard Munch 'The Scream (serigraph)' Framed Art Print 14 x 17-inch · More Info

• Kelly D
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG @pcmom1 you're killing me :-)

• unwantedadvice
    8 years ago
    Will do, Kelly!
  • Cyndy Potts Morris
    8 years ago

I like the mirrors in a narrow hallway. Perhaps if the frames were painted white for some contrast, or if you had thinner frames, it would not look overpowering. Also, only have the mirrors on one wall and maybe a series of two or three black and white prints on the other wall. Good Luck!