Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d0cmart1ns

Calacutta marble

Sara
8 years ago
I want to do this calacutta slab for my kitchen island. Csn someone suggest something coordinating for my perimeter? I was thinking caesarston pure white? Would that go well or any other ideas? I dont want the maintenance of marble where i cook often
Thanks

Comments (26)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    Quartz is low maintenance
  • PRO
    Pyramid Design Group Architects
    8 years ago

Gray, NOT white--and quartz is a good suggestion

• holly98
    8 years ago

Do you mean a backsplash? I'm not sure what you mean by perimeter.

• Sara
    Original Author
    8 years ago

no not the backsplash - the perimeter counters of the kitchen. i don't love grey quartz.. will pure white look terrible?

• holly98
    8 years ago

Wood countertops would add some warmth to the room. Quartz does not hold up too well, I've learned.

I will be making these same decisions soon, so have been researching countertops.

Our Work · More Info

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Honed black absolute or jet mist granite would be a low maintenance and nice contrast to the Calacatta marble. And I agree that quartz isn't as carefree as the claims make it out to be. Caesarstone chips and gets water marks, and it can't be refinished.

• Sara
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i don't love the idea of dark counters - floors are dark reclaimed wide planks. i think doing wood would be too "woody". any other suggestions?

• Sara
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How about pietra cardosa? Would that compliment the calacutta?
  • PRO
    Pyramid Design Group Architects
    8 years ago

When I said gray and NOT white, I meant you could use light gray, especially if you don't like dark counters--however I still think a bright white will make the vained marble look "dirty"

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    8 years ago

The pure white will make your white in the calacutta either look yellow or gray.

• PRO
    Fletcher Cameron Kitchens
    8 years ago

You might want to consider stainless. It is very easy to clean, low maintenance, and does not compete with the stone.

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    8 years ago

Caesarstone Raven or Pebble are great combinations.

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

I have calcutta on my island and choose a caesarstone lagos blue for the countertops where I cook. It is beautiful and goes really well with the calcutta.

• Sara
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Would soapstone like this work?
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

I think the veining in the soapstone will fight with the marble. IMO, it would look better to do something more solid. Several suggestions have already been made on more solid colors that might work well.

• Sara
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Is there an option to get soapstone without visible veining?
    Thank u all for your help!!!
  • buildinginga
    8 years ago

I did honed virginia mist perimeter with a marble island. I like them together- they look like negatives of each other!

• buildinginga
    8 years ago
    Here they are closer
  • Barbara Almandarz
    8 years ago

Consider a quartz with little gray sparkle for the perimeter. The above gray glass tiles would look beautiful.

• ycity
    8 years ago
    Honed absolute black is my vote!
  • tammra2
    8 years ago

Honed leaves water marks on my counters . Example if you set a cold water glass on it goes away but I hate that it does it Also I would never do black unless you like to clean all the time and dust I have made that mistake Twice I like the idea of a light grey Quartz Not a lot of choice that would really make your marble stand out Have you looked at Quartz LG Rococo Looks just like marble and you can do all counters with this Beautiful ! No upkeep like the marble

• Hamlet Wong
    7 years ago

Ceasarstone would be the easiest, low maintenance option.

• PRO
    MARVA Marble & Granite, Inc.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, Sara!

A grey quartz would coordinate beautifully with your calacatta island.

This is Carrick, by Cambria Quartz:

Or here is a little bit different tone of grey. This one is called Greystone:

You can see how beautifully these greys complement Neolith's Calacatta design, seen below:

• PRO
    NEOLITH by TheSize
    7 years ago

Hello Sara, the products of Sintered Stone like Neolith, will give you a durable solution and with less need of supervision than the quartz or natural stones. The sintering process eliminates almost 100% porosity, as in the case of Neolith, this brings benefits such as non-staining, non-scratch, abrasion resistant surfaces. You can see in the following link our designs of marbles and specifically the calacatta. Neolith Calacatta

• Tracy Kristensen
    6 years ago

What did you end up doing?