Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izeve

Dining room on a dime - help please

izeve
8 years ago

I need some help with my dining room. The room is small 9'10" x 10'10". On one side it's open to the kitchen, opposite of that is the window. One solid wall and opposite of that is a wall with two openings to the living room.

I have just refinished the table (48" round, can expand to oval) and planned to use the green napoleon chairs with it (4 chairs). But now I'm not so sure. So I'm trying an upholstered chair. Here are my questions:

- which chairs? I would be open to repainting the green chairs but have no idea what color - red?

- rug or no rug; if so, what kind and size?

- keep the console table? Get rid of it completely or replace with something else?

My style can probably be best described as eclectic. I like warm earth tones. Budget is minimal (preferably Craigslist, but if not then Pier 1, Target or Home Goods)

Any help will be appreciated :-)

Comments (68)

• everdebz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm taking your 'on a dime' seriously... which chairs are returnable? A rug isn't a necessity especially if you keep chairs with colorful interest, alone or with pads.

Heritage Area Rug, Green - Gold, Round 8' · More Info

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everdebz and Beverly! Here is the situation:

I used to have a larger bar height table in the room that came from my prior house and completely overwhelmed the space. I have sold it and decided to furnish the room on a very tight budget.

The round table is a Craigslist find - it was beat up honey oak when I got it. I stripped it and spent a month refinishing it. It is very solid and I think looks pretty good in the dark finish that I gave it.

The upholstered chairs are from Target and returnable. They were very inexpensive because I got them on a super sale. The green chairs are a Craigslist find and I can easily re-sell them for what I paid for them. I do like how the upholstered chairs look in the room so I'm inclined to keep them.

I will change the knobs on the console table - I think that is an easy fix and will look nice.

As to the current chandelier, it doesn't look terrible. The shades are a pale golden yellow that coordinates pretty nicely with the upholstered chairs. I will take another picture in the daylight so that you can see. If I find something that really wows me and is inexpensive, I will change it. But I won't be too upset if it stays.

I am undecided as to the rug because it is such a small room. And because it is connected to the living room, it needs to coordinate with the living room rug (which was expensive and is very good quality). My budget for the rug (if I decide to get one) is under $300. Which is a tall order ;-)

The one thing I really would like to change is the decor on the wall opposite the McKnight. The two small pictures I have there look lost and bland. I loved the "set of 6" idea from Beverly but the set I like (the map of Paris) is definitely not in the budget. I will check Home Goods to see what I can find. What else would look good on that wall?

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How do I post an image from Overstock here?

• jck910
    8 years ago

You did a great job refinishing the table, love the dark color. Upholstered chairs look great with it. Love your McKnight. I wouldn't put anything too busy on the other wall you don't want to distract from the McKnight. A rug will definitely add warmth. Go to your local rug store, there you can have something cut and bound to the exact size you want. I just had a berber done for my den and it was inexpensive. Lower the chandelier to about 30-32" above table.

izeve thanked jck910
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    For reference, this is what my living room looks like.
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you jck910. The chandelier is actually 31" from the table. I hate how the pictures distort the proportions of this room!

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here is what the current chandelier looks like.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

A rug will add warmth, but it will also make the room smaller. Your floor is beautiful, so I would forgo the rug. Easier to clean anyway.

I think the McKnight is a tad too large for the console. Can the three pen and ink drawings go over the console and the McKnight go on the wall where the two are now?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

To post images from Overstock or any website, right click on the image and save it to your computer. The load it in your post using the Photo button.

Here is the issue with the chandelier..................and remember that first, at least you have one, and second, we all do rooms in stages, unless we're rolling in dough. A rug can also be added at a later date. Love those Target Chairs. A great find.

Chandeliers that shine up are often used in kitchens because they are efficient at providing general lighting for an area because the light bounces off the ceiling.

Chandeliers that have their light directed down help to add sparkle to items on the table. Dishes and glassware along with the food look better to those people at the table.

Amazingly this chandelier from Overstock is only $169, also available in 6 light for less $$ http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Colonial-12-light and shades can be ordered at a later date from a variety of sources like WalMart, etc.

• jfoster859
    8 years ago
    Zazzle.com has vintage Paris maps in poster sizes for under $25. Cut to size and use matching matting from your local chain store. We have a Restore (habitat for Humanity resale store) and I can often find great frames and mats when local hotels redecorate. I got beautiful brushed silver 24x24" with double mats and glass for $10 each. Take out the ugly hotel print and put in your Zazzle piece. I did a couple large seashell prints for $30 for over my bed.
    izeve thanked jfoster859
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Grover, I forgot that one of the pen and ink drawings is horizontal. It's framed the same as the others so it could be hung as a set of three but the middle piece would be horizontal. With that, I think they would be too wide for the console table (the 3 pictures alone are 40" without any spacing, and the console is 44").

The other wall is 66", and the McKnight is 43" - would that be too large?

Here are some additional pics of the wall and another picture I have that may be a good candidate for the dining room. It was actually hanging over that console table in my prior house.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beverly, yes, I would definitely prefer a chandelier that shines down, instead of up.

What do you think of this Home Depot chandelier ($102)?

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is a rug I like from Overstock (8' round, $203):

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jfoster, I will check out Zazzle. Thanks for the tip.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some other budget rugs from Overstock that I like - I said eclectic, right ;-)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

I don't like round area rugs for your dining room. There are square ones available. Can't see the exact color of the walls and the new chairs, but here are perhaps some rugs that might work. I'm suggesting synthetic fiber rug because it's in the dining area and there will be lots of traffic.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Restaurant lighting that shines down on the table can be uncomfortably bright, etc....have you experienced that? this is 300.

Windsor 6-Light Wood and Metal Chandelier with Faux Candles and Beaded Slings · More Info

izeve thanked everdebz
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Not much traffic in my dining room :-). It's just me and the cat most of the time. DD comes home from university only at Christmas and summer. And we have a breakfast nook in the kitchen that we use. So I would be fine with wool. I had a wool rug in the dining room in my prior house and it worked very well for me. And we used to entertain....

I remeasured the room with the rug in mind. If I go with square, it cannot be larger than 7' x 7'. I could do 8' round.
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The walls are BM Quincy Tan http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/quincytan

The chairs are Threshold Camelot Dining Chair in Toast but they are more beige than green in real life.

So what do you think of the chandelier I posted from HD?

I like chandeliers with fabric shades that cast some light down and up.

And here is the rug I like in square shape. I feel like it would coordinate well with my living room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

WOW that's a handsome chandelier with the shades for that price, but now that I see that for $20 more you can get a 4" large chandelier with 12 lights, that's the one I would select for your room size.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here's your room with the new chandelier. Just use 25 watt bulbs, or the equivalent, and a dimmer.

izeve thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I saw the larger one too, but don't you think it will be too big for my room? The table is only 48". What is the general rule on selecting a chandelier size? And I kind of like all the lights on one level...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Measure the length and the width of the room. Add the two measurements. Convert the measurement unit from feet to inches.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The room is 9'10" by 10'10". So that's a total of 20' 8". Not sure what you mean by "convert to inches". Would that mean 21" chandelier?
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Yes, that's what it would mean. You can also figure about half the width of the table for your chandelier, so anything between 21 - 24" should work.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

so the room is 10x11 = 21 ft or 21", but that number is flexible. I always over size my chandeliers a bit. The smaller sized chandelier is safe. If you ceilings were higher than 8' you could certainly use the larger chandelier. On 54" tables I use 30" chandeliers.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you both, Grover and Beverly. The ceilings are 9 ft.

I do like this chandelier quite a lot but I'm wondering if I should go with something with a little more shine and sparkle? Chrome or nickel, maybe? Some crystals?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

All depends on how much you want to spend. There were chandeliers on either Wayfair or Overstock when I was checking yesterday.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beverly, I'm just musing and trying to figure out what would look best in my room ;-)

The HD chandelier is along the lines of what you suggested (dark, classic lines candle style chandelier) and I like it a lot or I wouldn't have put it up in the thread. But when I looked at my existing chandelier, it seems similar in style. So I'm just wondering if something totally different would feel fresher and more updated?

Budget is still the same but I am a great bargain finder!

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Something like this? $168 at HD. I just have no sense of whether this style would be appropriate for my room or would it stick out like a sore thumb...

• athomeeileen
    8 years ago

I have that iron HD chandelier in my kitchen. I am very happy with it.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good to know, athomeeileen! I think it's a solid choice for me.

Here is another one that I like. $169.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

I think some bronze or black in the chandelier is essential for the room to pull the elements together.

These below are all from Overstock.

Love this updated version with the crystal balls. Blingy but not too formal.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Beverly. Your visuals help me a lot with focus and direction!

I don't like the drum chandelier that I picked now that you hang it in my room... And the last one you picked is a bit too fussy for me. But I do like the one with the ball shaped crystals. And I still very much like the clean lines of the iron one with fabric shades from HD.

Let me look around some more now that I have a better sense of what I'm looking for. Thank you again.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Yep..................I do like the idea of a drum shade chandelier, but the design and bling have to be just right. Looking at your home, I surmise that classic is your style direction, but you are not afraid to add some special features.

I can supply you with a blank picture if you have Windows Paint on your computer to add the chandeliers.

• Ann
    8 years ago

I love discussions of scale, lol. For a room that is 10x11 and a table that is 48", I'd choose a 24" chandy (no smaller). But, if the choice is quite open and airy, I'd go a little bigger. For a drum, I'd go with 24".

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yup, you've got that right. I like classic and timeless basics but I do like to mix it up a bit with world or ethnic elements or something with a bit of a modern vibe. Overall, I feel best in warm and cozy but uncluttered interiors. That's why I am inclined to add a rug to the room - it just feels a bit too cold without one.

Here is the last chandelier, I promise :-)

And one more question, do you think I could add fabric shades to the ball crystal chandelier? I don't like bare bulbs.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for chiming in Ann. So between these two, which one would you choose for my room? The smaller one is 24-1/4 in. D x 26-3/4 in. H, the larger one is 28 in. D x 33-3/4 in. H

• Ann
    8 years ago

I'd skip a rug and direct that money toward a new chandelier. I just recently removed the rug from my dining room and like it so much better without a rug.

I'm not crazy about the chandy just above but of the two sizes, I'd go with the smaller one. I like some of the drums (with some interest) posted above much better.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will need to play with Windows Paint at home - my computer at work doesn't have it. I think I need to use a picture of the room with the right chairs - the green chairs seem to be tinting the choices of the chandelier (so to say ;-)

I think I will get any rug I can find at a local store just to try and see what it feels like in the room before I order anything on line. Something that will be easy to return.

What do you all think about something completely different on the wall opposite the McKnight? I always wanted to introduce some oriental elements to the mix but could not figure out where and what exactly. I came across these on Craigslist:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

izeve, sorry but I think the scale is a bit thin. Yes you can add shades to the other bling chandelier.

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think you're right, Beverly.

What do you think about the oriental wall panels for a touch of the unexpected?

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I'm 'on' so I'll say I like it fine, and if you love it it's great.

izeve thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

I like the panels. Good find

izeve thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Excellent. Thank you both for the feedback. I feel like I'm making good progress with this room.

I will play with what I have so far on the computer at home tonight and try and post some mock ups.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Perhaps sharing a few photos from our portfolio will aid you in your design process.

Morrison Heights Kitchen · More Info

Morrison Heights Kitchen · More Info

Old Post Road · More Info

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got home last night and tried to visualize the various chandeliers in my actual space. Based on that, a drum is definitely out. I like that style in theory but I definitely don't like it for my space. So I am down to the HD classic chandelier with shades and the ball crystal one. I decided to order the smaller HD one to try it. If it doesn't work, I will return it at the local store. And I definitely need a dimmer, so I am getting one as well.

I also contacted the owner of the oriental panels on CL and am waiting to hear back. I will need to see them in person before I make my final decision.

I am still debating the rug. If I see something in the right size at Home Goods I will pick it up so that I can try and see how it behaves in my space. My biggest concern is the path from the kitchen to the living room that needs to stay open.

I will post updates as soon as I have anything new in the room.

Thank you again to all who responded!

• izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The HD chandelier came and I think it will look good. It will be installed in the next few days.

My daughter is back home and loves the new table and chairs. After having dinner in the room a couple of times now, I think I will forego a rug. However, I would like to get new wall art for the wall opposite the McKnight. Do you think a large scale abstract would work in the space?
  • izeve
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The owner of the oriental panel set turned out to be a flake so I changed direction with this room. Here is the new look I am trying:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/dining-room-on-a-dime-continued-dsvw-vd~3555525?n=2

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County