Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atz009

Should I order my kitchen floor ceramic tile online?

atz009
8 years ago

We are redoing our kitchen (cabinets, floor, countertop, backsplash, etc.). I have found several styles of ceramic tile that I like for the floor, but I have discovered that the tile showroom price (uninstalled) goes at about a 75% markup over what the same tile would cost from an online source. For instance, the showroom quoted a price of $7.95/sq.ft. and online the tile is available for $4.16/sq.ft. I would have to pay shipping on the showroom order and on the online order.

Is it a bad idea to order the tile online? I need 310 sq. ft. and the price difference is significant. Does anyone have experience with online sellers like South Cypress or Ceramic Tile 4 U? Are the other online sellers I should check?

Comments (20)

• Architectural Notice
    8 years ago

If the online source accepts returns within a reasonable period of time for any reason, then you may wish to seriously consider purchasing online. I don't see a downside if they will accept returns.

atz009 thanked Architectural Notice
  • acm
    8 years ago

I have ordered lots of tile from online vendors -- as long as you've seen a sample and know that it's the tile you want, what's the problem? they'll presumably pack it well for shipping...

atz009 thanked acm
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    8 years ago

Please Note: When ordering online purchase, they no longer need to warrant the products they sell unless the company is located from your own/ same state. Make sure to double check return policies and warranties! Make sure it is all the same dye-lot!

I have had a few of my clients order tile online, not escaping problems. Tiles have come from different color dye-lots not matching. Broken tiles plan on ordering 25% more than you need. Many imperfections like cracked glaze, chips out of tiles or corners broken.

You often get what you pay for. I often can find the same tile locally for less with much faster access and a much easier return policy.

• atz009
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Wyland Interior Design: I don't understand what you mean by the statement that online sellers "no longer need to warrant the products they sell unless the company is located from your own/same state." All of the seller II checked state that manufacturer's warranties apply. What additional warranties would I get from a seller in-state? I understand that returns and claims would be easier, but can you explain your "no longer need to warrant" comment. Is there a legal basis for this? Thanks!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

FYI I would look for porcelain tile instead of ceramic they are much tougher and do not chip as easily.

atz009 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • atz009
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Absolutely, I intend to use porcelain and should have specified that.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Manufacturers with reputations for quality won't warranty a product sold online. It has to go through a local point of contact. Unless it's one of any of the hundreds of Chinese faux deliberately American sounding names that shovel out the always second quality material to the online outlets or liquidators who sell the overstocks, over runs, and secondary quality. All with ''warranties'' that are unenforceable.

A good quality tile mechanic will want to be part of your selection process from a local quality supplier, as much of what you buy online won't be good quality, or square, or retain it's glaze, etc. Your install rate just went way up, and your result quality just went down. Or, the tiler will refuse to install that dreck outright.

When you supply materials and expect to hire labor to install only, you assume the full responsibility for those materials choices and quality. Choose wisely. A pallet of tile ain't gonna be returnable as a practical matter. Not that getting a pallet of tile delivered to your house isn't without it's own headache as well. Headaches that you, acting as the job's GC, will have to figure out.

• Carol Johnson
    8 years ago
    Great advice from Sophie. Ive heard so many horror stories of multiple dye lots on one pallet, the delivery person expecting you (homeowners) to unload your pallet of tile box by box, broken tiles, not first quality product, and more.
    With over 300 SF of tile I would search out your best price from local sources, try a few, bring your online pricing & maybe someone can come closer.
  • atz009
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I appreciate the expertise that all the commenters have. I understand the problems that would arise if I bought tile from a remote (Alabama!) online seller and the tiles arrived broken, or were made defectively. And I am sure that some sellers are more reputable than others. I can't believe, however, that it is correct to say that manufacturers will not honor warranties (typically a one-year warranty of freedom from defects in manufacture) for products that are sold online.

As a for instance, I checked the Daltile corporate website and while Daltile includes a note saying that customers should buy tile from their authorized dealers, neither that note nor the warranty information say anything about not honoring a warranty for products bought online. In fact, I would think that federal and state consumer laws would restrict their ability to do this. (Imagine if manufacturers of all products that were sold by online sellers could avoid their product warranties!)

Can you name any tile manufacturers that you know, from personal experience, will treat internet sales this way? I'd appreciate knowing their names. I don't intend to buy "Chinese faux American sounding name" tiles. The ones I am looking at are either from either Italian or US sources and I've seen them all in showrooms.

Finally, the suggestion that I use the internet price as a bargaining point with a showroom seller is a very good one.

• User
    8 years ago

All major flooring manufacturers select their authorized retailers. Whom are mostly brick and mortar flooring stores. The only way that onliners even get some of their merchandise is if it is discontinued or seconds.

• atz009
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I really don't want to debate this much longer. I understand that it's wise to be wary when spending thousands of dollars on an internet purchase. I do think, however, that it is not wise to make a statement that all onliners get only seconds. I spoke to one "onliner" who seems to get good reviews and seems to be reputable. They do not deal in seconds, they have relationships with manufacturers and many of the products are shipped directly from the manufacturer. They have a showroom, but they also do business online, at prices that are far below the prices I have seen locally.

I don't have an interest in any online business. I'm just a consumer looking to save money. I understand that buying online involves a lot of considerations but if I do due diligence and find that other customers have dealt satisfactorily with an "onliner", the risk of doing business that way is greatly reduced. I understand that design professionals don't work this way and prefer to use traditional outlets. I don't think it's appropriate to paint all online tile sellers with such a broad brush, certainly not without giving any specifics as to first hand experience.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

you would think noone ever saw shark tank. Nearly everyone who comes on gets questioned about their online presence, so it must be an important and useful tool to a lot of people. I am now in a small town and no longer have access to the myriad of options i once had. Unless it is walmart, thrift store, or Sears, it comes from online. Majority is Ebay and Amazon. Never a major problem, never a refusal for return. Now when I deal on line, i always try to trade in paypal if possible, and I always confirm fully returnable. due diligence is a requirement in all transactions, online or brick and mortar.

so go for it. you know what you need to do. good luck and show us when it done.

atz009 thanked havingfun
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Order a sample first.

Just remember there is likely to be breakage and unexpected issues during installation so order more than what you need. I usually order 5-10% more than what I think I require.

Pay on credit card so you have someone to act as mediator in the event there is an issue. Make sure the tiles are not seconds. Order any necessary trim at the same time and make sure all tile are from the same color run.

atz009 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Hello again,

I didn't get to read the others comments. It is up to the individual online companies whether they want to cover the warranty or not. Many reliable companies may cover it on their own or they may have an agreement with the manufacturer to have them warranted it.

I was told that there are so many reproduction and knock offs being produced that legally the manufacturers no longer need to warrant any products that are purchased online. Too many product orders to keep control and wasted time spent by manufacturers going out to job sites and finding that it is not even their product.

Example: One of my client's had purchase online a Whitehaus Quatro Alcove Fireclay Fluted Apron Front Farmhouse sink that was $124.00 less than what I could sell it to her for. When it arrived it WAS NOT a Whitehaus sink!!! It was missing their Whitehaus Logo stamp and it was not the reversible sink she had ordered. It was missing the Flutes and glazing along one side of the sink. It was obviously a "Knock Off" that she tried to return. It WAS NOT a Whitehaus sink!!! The online company would not take it back due to a purchase "As Is" policy that she didn't see or read. A few days after see made the complaint the website was taken down. * Whitehaus had no reason to warrant something they did not make.

She decided to use the sink and had it installed. After about a year, this "Knock Off" farmhouse sink ended up cracking and causing a flood in her kitchen a year later. She had major repairs; the granite counter top needed to be removed and replaced, after a couple new cabinets and new flooring was ordered. Far more than the $125.00 she saved.

Example: I had another client order Hunter Douglas Blinds. When they head rails and strings started failing on the blinds, she found out they were not Hunter Douglas blinds. Again there were knock offs. Hunter Douglas would not warrant them due to the product was not Hunter Douglas.

Please, just do your research so you don't get stuck with a "Knock Off".

• PRO
    8 years ago

To simply put it..... How can a manufacturer warrant a product that they did not make or they didn't sell to the online company? There is no way they can or why should they warrant a product under that circumstance?

As a professional that has been in business for 30 years with a retail showroom and an AUTHORIZED DEALER for many product lines, I'm not here to argue. I'm here to help and look out for your own best interest. You asked the question, I'm only giving you an answer of what my clients and I have experienced.

Online retailers should provide return instructions on the site or on your receipt. When shopping online, it’s wise to consider the company’s reputation and return policy before you buy.

A warranty is only as good as the company that stands behind it. There are scammers all around us, we all need to be alert and not be tricked into something that is not was it is. JUST BE CAREFUL! PLEASE do your research!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

now that brings up an interesting question, since you do business stuff Bev, do you think when we use the credit card with pay pal we are essentially double insuring? because i always use a small maximum card for purchases and you do always have the insurance of that institution- visa, mc, American Express. I have not had to use for awhile, but they did used to be real good about charge backs.

• atz009
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So the bottom line is that there are good online sellers and bad online sellers and failure to do your homework and to look for and to read and understand the return policies or "as is" policies is not smart and can lead to problems. Got it.

I always do pay with a credit card (don't like paypal and don't see the point of it) so the usual protections the card carries are there, too. And the points made about specifying recent dye lots for the tile was an especially good one.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

I would find out what type of shipping options are out there (is it curbside with a power lift gate) or do you have to unload the truck from the 4 foot deck by yourself?

Heavy, breakable product is going to be tough to ship without shipping damage. I would take the normal 5-10% waste number and bump it up to 15% simply for shipping damage.

And don't forget you won't know if these are TRULY rectified tiles until they get there. You can expect a higher than usual amount of rejects because there is no "middle man" to cull this before it arrives at your home.

I would purchase a box as a sample. It will tell you very quickly what you are playing with. If it arrives and nothing is as it seems, then you only lost a $100. If you feel everything worked out, go ahead and order your entire floor. But you have to assume the sample box will not match the rest of the material...so that will have to be purchased again.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 years ago

The reasons the local shop is higher priced :. Receiving, a loading dock and warehouse to store your product until you or the GC is "ready", inspecting, fork lifts, insurance, a showroom, sales help, cost of sample boards, creating showroom displays and keeping them current, lighting, and and and!! I assume you SELECTED the tile from one of your local shops so you could see it in person, and benefit from all the displays, selections, and possibly even their advice. And now?? I think you see what I mean. Tile is notoriously difficult to see and select on the best computer monitor. But ......assuming we all order online, that's the way future selections will be made. Inclusive of the guesswork style pile of samples coming to your door..... and then will come the complaint that there's no local source from which to see and select, much like what has happened in the furniture arena.