Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_lenz

Central Vac, or just the vac pans? New construction, large home

Amy Lenz
8 years ago

We are building a large (9,000 sq.ft. including basement and bonus room over garage) home and are debating a central vac system. We have 2 young kids and 3 gold retrievers. I love the idea of the vac pans and haven't heard anything bad about them. The local installation guy my builder recommended quoted $1200 for 2 vac pans or $4650 for an H-P element central vac system (with the 2 vac pans) and 15 outlets (5 per level including a mostly finished basement). I've never had a central vac system. I currently have a Dyson on the top and main floors of our house, however one is on its last legs. The 3 dogs produce a LOT of hair and I vacuum 2-3 time a week. The new house will be mostly hardwood with area rugs on the main floor and all carpet upstairs. I just don't know if it is worth the extra $3400 for the whole house system. I'm really stuck. Thanks for any advice at all!

Comments (15)

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Roomba for each floor.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Whole house central vac and make sure you have a home for the hose on each floor and a hose for each floor and we also have a roomba for our dog hair ( we have 2 goldens) that runs once a day . be aware they can only handle about 1000 sq ft so use the blockers to just have it run in the worst hairy areas like kitchen and any open space.

• safthim
    8 years ago

In the process of building a smaller house. Installing Hide a Hose, central vac with hose in the walls. It's not cheap, but I think in the long term, with kids and dogs, it's an investment I won't regret!

• Kivi
    8 years ago
    No question that the central vac is the way to go in a sizable house.
  • Amy Lenz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Am still undecided if the price is worth it, but your thoughts are working on my husband-keep it up!

• Hamma
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would say that in a house of that size (and keeping in mind your pet situation) central vac would be a must for me. It could also be a good feature for a future (potential?) resale.

• calidesign
    8 years ago

Absolutely get the central vac!! I had it in our 5000 square foot house, and loved it. It is so much easier than hauling vacuum cleaners around, especially for large spaces like that. I really miss it in the home we have currently. It is worth the cost when you think of all the time you will save, and how much cleaner you can keep things. Also, no expenses for vacuum bags.

• 4bwl
    8 years ago
    Agreed that central vac is worth it to install. Have you considered hide-a-hose? I have central vac with a vac pan in the kitchen and a hide-a-hose on each level. I have not used the vac pan once. I prefer using the hide-a-hose as I don't find sweeping quite does the job...just my OCD nature. It's nice not having to carry a vacuum throughout the house, and with something as big as yours, I think you will be glad to have gotten it.
  • Stacey Ray
    6 years ago
    For owners of the hide a hose, what is tot length of hose, I'm installing 50 feet at 2 separate receptacles. Also, what is your unit central vacuum specs as far as air watts and air flow?
  • outshopping422
    6 years ago

I LOVE my central vac!!!! It makes it easier to vacuum stairs whether they are carpeted or not. :)

• spaknitter
    6 years ago
    We are installing a Hide-a-Hose in our house we are building. The length of the hose is 60 ft.
  • Stacey Ray
    6 years ago
    What central vac unit are you using to power the hose?
  • spaknitter
    6 years ago
    Hmmm, good question! I don't remember and the painters are there now so it is completely covered up and taped up so I can't look. I can let you know when it gets uncovered.
  • 4bwl
    6 years ago

I am installing three 40-50 ft. hoses throughout my house. One per floor over three floors, approx 1000 square feet per floor. This is the central vac unit: https://www.cyclovac.com/canada/vacuum/vacuums/residential/high-performance/central-vacuum-615