Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cihassler

Can Anyone Tell Me About My Antique Find. Please?

cihassler
8 years ago

It looks as though the chairs were recovered, and possibly even the wood on the seats of the chairs? Since I have absolutely no experience with antique furniture I could easily be mistaken about them, so I went ahead and snapped a pic of one of them and added it to this post.

The leaves pull out from each end of the table, and the sliding apparatus is mainly made of wood, but has a few pieces of metal attached as shown in one of the pics.

Screws look to be flathead with 1 single groove that would fit a flathead screwdriver.

Joints at base of table looks like it might be mortise and tendon, but am guessing since I haven't tried to remove any of the pieces.

It looks like a dark brown stain was used, but is not glossy at all. It doesn't look like there was any type of clear coat used.

INFORMATION I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW:

What era it is from?

Style: (i.e. Colonial, Jacobian, etc.)

What kind of table it is, and the proper name for it? (i.e. Pub table, kitchen table, retractory table, etc.)

How are these types of leaves described? (pull-out, sliding, drawer style, etc.)

Type of wood? I was thinking Oak or Rosewood??

How would one describe the base, or bottom of the table?

Does anyone know if this is a rare, or common piece?

Approximate price range to ask when selling it (Just an "opinion" to kind of get and idea of what I might be able to sell it for)?

NOTE: I realize a professional appraiser is the best way to go, but simply can't afford one at this time. Still, I'm very anxious to learn something/ anything about this piece since I plan to sell it in the near future. I've spent hours online trying to learn more about it, which left with several possibilities, but nothing definitive...very frustrating.

That being said...I won't hold anyone to their word on this or anything like that. I'm just wanting to get some honest opinions/ advice about the piece?

I SINCERELY THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVICE YOU ARE WILLING TO SHARE.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Comment (1)