Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodifina

help- I'd like to make this room be off white and black

jodifina
8 years ago

I would like to make this room be off white and black. Black in the throw pillows. Not sure what rug style or color to choose and also what kind of ottoman or coffee table. Need something on or in front of the walls that flank the fireplace and also something for wall that is perpendicular to fireplace. Wall color which is a linen grasscloth has to stay. All tables and lights decorative objects can go.

Comments (55)

• RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    hmm..for the fireplace area, maybe have paneling added above fireplace. use a more modern style single light sconce on each side and yes black framed mirror. you will want to have some nice metallic accents in the room too.
  • RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    maybe something like this for sconce?
    jodifina thanked RubyRoses
  • RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    Notice how the paneling in Maureen photo really gives a nice look to the fireplace.
  • Lila
    8 years ago

Maureen is right, the scale of the mantel is wrong. It would be easy for a carpenter to beef it up. You could paint the frame of the mirror in a flat black.

• er612
    8 years ago

• jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tedbixby- yes interested another colors- I think I would regret doing black now that Ive given it more thought. This room steps down from my foyer and then my dining room is a step up. Dining room is more french provincial i.e. ladder back chairs, off white china cabinet and pedestal legs of table.

• RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    hmm..so maybe beige, gray and coral?
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

i do not see a problem doing the black. how about blue, very light or very dark?

• kathleen MK
    8 years ago
    You could easily add a few black accents and see if you like the look. Add little black shades to the sconces, black print pillows and some black frames for art or photos. The trick is in sprinkling the color around the room in a balanced way. With the classic neutral scheme you have, you could change accent colors seasonally on a whim. Go coral or teal or whatever you love.
    whatever you choose, I think you need more art on the walls.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

all examples of classic rooms updated with black and gray, and one other color

Jane Lockhart Kylemore Custom Home · More Info

Design | Allen's Blog - P. Allen Smith Garden Home · More Info

• havingfun
    8 years ago

did not know if you can see more than 4 so here is second half.

Cathedral Living Room · More Info

• jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What do you mean by last comment?

• PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 years ago

You have great "bones". You can do white/black and any other color you choose. Looking forward to seeing where your going with this. Hope these pictures inspire just a bit.

Huniford Design Studio, Holiday House Hamptons 2014 · More Info

Modern Interiors · More Info

• ashtonchic
    8 years ago

Maybe you can add some architectural detail at the fireplace to create more interest. Did you want to stay with a french provincial style? If so I would stay in a soft monochrome palette with taupe, beige and off white and softer color side tables, curio etc. and some larger lamps.

Gatti House · More Info

• RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    jodi..if you are on a tab or phone you can only see 4 photos,even if more are posted. On a computer you can see more then 4 photos per a post.
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

About which the 4 pics? is as they said, on any device but a computer, you lose a lot of stuff, although computers don't let us play with the pics. I now have a pen on my idea books, does anyone else have it? does not work yet, but it is there!

the part about being open to the journey? you seem unsure and it can take a lot of effort. most of us are usually game, but that is why sometimes people end up in the middle of nowhere, because they cannot make up their mind. but at least 5 people can help get you where you are going no matter where that is.

About leaving the tags in? many people go buy similar, leave the tags in and return what does not work.

Now, did you like any of the pics, I can remove some or all so we do not get too crowded. I thought the one with the yellow really sizzled. I always like the melons and pale satiny aqua or blue. and teal is so over the top!

Thanks blue booby, I have a few rugs similar, but noone is willing to try, had not seen in pic before, i love it!

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Sorry to jump in so late Jodifina, I quite like the color of your room and think adding touches of black or dark grey would look lovely. I think the profile of your fireplace is to shallow though; looks odd. Adding a more substantial surround could pose a problem though as the tile may have to be removed and this built out to look right. You would need a professional to come take a look at this to see. I think your sconces are a bit to high for the hight of you ceiling.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    8 years ago

Are you looking for contrast? Do you want this room to remain soft or bright? Off white and Black is classic and can be absolutely fabulous. Have you ever had a room like this or have you seen one you like in off white and black? I would love to help you and feel I can make your room just perfect! Call me and we can work on this together!

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Maybe something like this, all from Currey& Co.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Hi Ted! Are you on your phone? The pen is a sketch tool! Fun :) click on it!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    See
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Late to the party but Restoration Hardward does it well! Study their pictures to see what you already have and what you need to add. Take your time and be careful.

October · More Info

• havingfun
    8 years ago

yes, it does not work on the computer, but it is new. my ideabooks still have the edit button, so i don't think it is for that. yes Lynn, quit bragging, we all know you phone people have it! lol

• havingfun
    8 years ago

ok Jodi, are you still in with the black or you want to go a different direction?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

• jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had a decorator in the past tell me that I should have two smaller sized sofas facing each other on either side of the fireplace. Thoughts? Te issue is that I have two very wide door openings (leading to foyer and other side leading to dining room) they are not the same opening width either. The walls to left of and right of fireplace are not even either. I really cant put an end table next to sofa as it looks squished. I have thought of putting a credenza of some sort behind the sofa on the side wall but wasn't sure if it would be too close to sofa. Also, any suggestions on what would look good for a coffee table? Wood? Fabric oversized ottoman? Color? FYI the tufted sofa is the one in my living room. I put my family room sofa in there to show how tight is is to window if I have a piece of furniture facing the fireplace. hope this helps somewhat

• er612
    8 years ago

• RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    er612s layout would work well. the chairs in the bay window could even be turned to directly face each other. that would make a nice coffee/conversation area.
  • jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't see the layout. I just see a sconce. I'm not viewing in my iPhone

• jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok I see it now. I've tried the sofa on that wall and opinions have been that it looks better to NOT see sofa when entering the room as it looks off kilter to walk and doorway. I could do the same and flip it to opposite wall.. Currently I don't have window treatment son the window and so when driving down street or comin uo walkway you can see the wall to right of fireplace and it looks bare. So perhaps having table of some sort behind sofa with lamps or decorative objects might look better. Lighting in the room leaves much to be desired ss well. How do we feel about hanging lamp in center of seating arrangement in room. Window treatment auggestions are welcome as well. I think I need a dec board

• jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok so I like neutral colors. I don't like yellows or golds it anything pink or rose nor Aqua or teel though I do like certain blues greyblues and navy. Definitely. It into pastels and while I like orange I wouldn't like it my decor. Greens are ok but I'm picky with them. That's why I always revert back to neutrals but then think it's so bland.

• jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's definitely NOT into pastels

• RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    am I getting close to your look?
  • jodifina
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ruby - I don't care for the rug- pattern too busy and too big, rug knots I like the last one but for a different room- my fam rm how much. Ted do I have t scroll through whole feed to keep looking at things? Or is there a quicker way?

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    8 years ago

jodifina, here is the link to the last rug for pricing info

http://www.rugknots.com/products/aik-7-6-15-1171

For this room, what style are you looking for?

• RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    some other rugs available on houzz
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

remember all these pics are close ups the patterns will be smaller in person, the companies just don't offer pics in situ. I really like 1 and 3 for you. Two is very popular.

Rugs USA - Area Rugs in many styles including Contemporary, Braided, Outdoor and · More Info

Pebblebrook Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - SILVER · More Info

Rugs USA - Area Rugs in many styles including Contemporary, Braided, Outdoor and · More Info

• RubyRoses
    8 years ago
    I was looking at 1 and 3 also for her..*thumbs up*
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

Jodi, at the very least i always offer to pull things down, because I know how busy it gets. just ask anytime, unfortunately we only have like a week to do it in. Do you want me to pull my latest rugs down?

Jodi, earlier this thread i posted a lot of rooms. Anything that does not include only blue and/or the black gray white combo I am pulling since you like no other colors.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Jodifina, I looked through your idea book and you seem to gravitate to very neutral spaces. I see that you would also like to have built in bookshelves around your fireplace! Before you go buying anything new you may want to get your furniture placement figured out. I would try moving the two wing chairs in facing the sofa. Not sure if you have another spot in your house for the single chair but there's too much furniture in this room. Two smaller chairs and a table in the window alcove or a lovely bench that doesn't obstruct the view,
    Not sure that other large side needs to be there either! Perhaps just a couple of ottoman for perching.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Er612 floor plan is very nice and Grovers image looks terrific!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Ha Ted! Came late to the party! Thanks :) saw lots of rugs etc. and kinda liked her rug! Thought maybe she was getting ahead of herself. Thanks.
    jodifina thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I found this thread informative; perhaps Jodi will feel more comfortable with her decision to mix beige with black or grey if she reads through this. I believe she is more comfortable with a neutral palette. Finding artwork or a fabric she loves would be very helpful also.
  • er612
    8 years ago

Do you like any of these 3 rugs:

Here's a layout with the sofa facing the fireplace:

• PRO
    In Style Modern
    8 years ago

try incorporating printed rugs, something that has zebra
    print.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    8 years ago

Why don't go with some thing unique like ....if you want you can add Black and white Original Artwork which gives your room a different look.... Like this.... :) <3 hope you like this idea :)

• havingfun
    8 years ago

so jodi any decisions?

• PRO
    Denise Mitchell interiors
    8 years ago
    I think you could paint the fireplace surround in a nice matte dark charcoal colour which will unify the brick and give it more presence. I actually like the sconces as they are very classic as is the mirror. I do agree that the mantle itself is too thin. Add a chunky piece on top and paint as directed.