Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

Updating my dining room - advice needed!

jpmom
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

One project always leads to another. :)

When we set out on our kitchen project, I knew that I would also make some minor changes in our DR.

I hastily removed the old rug and didn't get a before photo of the whole room - this is all I really have to share:

Here is the new rug:

First and foremost -- what do you think?

It reads heavy on the gray in the photo - but the large medallion is comprised of two shades of blue and a camel color. The small medallion is a washed out steel blue.

If the rug passes with you GW experts - great. If not, I'll consider another...

Here are the changes I wish to make. Lets go with "The Rug Stays"

1. New chandelier - What kind of style? -- this is one of the more important elements of the update. (note my fixture in the LR - it's pretty bold, so I don't want to repeat a barrel shape here)

2. Seat cushions (had them before, could live without, but I think I need something for a pop of color)

3. Paint the sideboard in front of the window. But what color?

4. Tall lamp for sideboard - thinking just one? Or just accessorize with things I already have… (I love the lamp on that long table - but I think it's too short.)

5. Something new for narrow wall where that long table is- thinking an etagere? At least something tall. Can't be more than 15" deep.

6. Will be willing to do new end chairs

Things that I won't change:

Table and 4 side chairs

Window treatments

Color of built in hutch

More photos of space:

Little table to replace:

Saw this - and it will fit -- (just the center piece)

whatta ya think?

Terrible photo - I'm sorry. Built in hutch

Dining room opens up to our Living Room:

View from LR to DR:

View from DR to LR

Dining room opens up to FR (doorway has pocket doors)

Since I have quite a few things I want to do, I may make separate posts for each.

I was going to hire a decorator - but I think I can handle this myself -- with your help, of course!

Comments (17)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I like the rug..but for the room with the piano in it.

The dining room - because of the rustic farm table and the slip covered sofa in the background - scream "sisal rug" (or seagrass - natural fiber, at any rate) rug to me.

I'd paint the chest an earthy green.

I think the etagere is too contemporary to be eclectic with what you've got going in there.

Do the cushions come off the chairs are are they attached? If they come off, I'd leave the chairs all wood, including the seats.

I'd paint the walls a more saturated color like you've got in the piano room.

I'd get a somewhat more contemporary chandelier to bring it 'up' a bit.

Love this, in the winter gold

Alexander, by Capital Lighting

jpmom thanked tibbrix
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tib - I see what you mean.

I'll take the rug back.

The shag in the LR was custom sized - so that stays.

I have sisal in the FR - and while I absolutely love it, my dog has vomited a couple of times on it, and it's a bitch to clean up, and does leave a stain. Thankfully, it was not in an obvious place - but that being said, a DR rug needs to stand up to the possibility of spills. We've never had any catastrophes (spill-wise) but the minute I put a sisal in there, it'll happen. (or the dog will see it as a new place to barf) ;)

The rug I purchased is a Karastan - SmartStrand - recommended here (not the actual rug, but the SmartStrand). I like the quality and softness - and especially like that it will stand up to stains.

I'll start again with the rug search.

I really like the light - thanks for that

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Bump

• jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love that light. I respectfully disagree with those that said the light should stay. I think chandeliers can make a room. (I can't find that one above - I wonder who makes it?) I looked a that website - funnily enough, I have the 3rd one down in my LR.

My window treatments are just a year old. I wanted the walls to be monochromatic since- wanting my art work to shine. Not really in the budget to change them.

This was my inspiration picture for the window treatments.

(not anything else in the room) I see from your photo and mine, I probably could have worked with a pattern; but mine actually have a nice texture to them. Hard to tell from my photo.

Darien Home · More Info

Found this one… I quite like it. Good dimensions too: 36 long x 26 w

I completely agree that it can hang lower.

Here is another rug that I have - currently in our bonus room. Might be too busy, but I'm going to try it today. I'll post again once I get it in the room

• Beth Mallon
    8 years ago

I love that chandelier and that rug! I like the drapes too. They give a softness. I would work to make big impact with those small changes and see what you like. Rug, chandelier and paint buffet (perhaps). Post a pic to show progress!

jpmom thanked Beth Mallon
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I had sisal rugs in my guest bedroom that we used also as a TV room. We had a small fridge in there which unbeknownst to me was leaking water. One of the rugs got stained with WATER and it now has a dark mark on it. It was cleaned twice with carpet cleaner to try and get it out. I also had a bamboo rug in my dining room, made it very difficult to move chairs on it. No way would I do either type of rug under my dining room table, I am too clumsy with food! I would want a print carpet, to hide a multitude of sins. Not a loop weave either, to avoid snags.

I take it you have the fabric chair covers now? Put me in the camp that liked the rug you posted, but what is most important is what you like!

jpmom thanked l pinkmountain
  • starnold
    8 years ago

What lovely tasteful rooms! The oriental rug from your bonus room might be just the pop of color you need. Sometimes a room really improves with just a bit of editing so if you don't really need the table and the side board you might try it without for awhile to see the space calls for, if anything.

jpmom thanked starnold
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pink - I hear you. We have sisal in our FR and our dog puked on it. Talk about hard to clean!

• jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, I think we have success:

With this chandy:

I can lose that console table -- but not the sideboard. I have very little storage in this room. The built-in hutch isn't deep at all - so all of my platters are in the sideboard. But I will definitely paint it….

Also - I may consider new head chairs. Maybe….

Do you think the chair pads still work?

• amykath
    8 years ago

I love everything in your last pic and do not think you need to change a thing. I love your chandy. If you do not want it let me know as I will easily take that off your hands! Very nice!!!

I also think the seat covers work well with the rug!!!!

jpmom thanked amykath
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aktillery - thank you. I do like my chandy, too. But I kinda feel like I want something with a little more pizazz.

It's by Lt. Moses Willard - I've had it for years. I'll do my best to find a new home for it…. Maybe our bedroom?

http://www.ltmoses.com

• amykath
    8 years ago

Your latest chandy choice is gorgeous! Glad to hear your can use your current somewhere else in your home!

jpmom thanked amykath
  • starnold
    8 years ago

The rug looks great, really picks up and integrates the dark color of the chairs and table nicely. I like the texture that the head chairs bring, and wonder how the other chairs would look with cushions in a similar color and texture, or with skirts that come all the way to the floor?

jpmom thanked starnold
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I think the rug looks fabulous in your dining room. A big success!

jpmom thanked Holly- Kay
  • Beth Mallon
    8 years ago

Love this rug! Great job! I'm questioning whether you even need to paint the sideboard/buffet. Next on list I would get that gorgeous chandelier. I would change up your end chairs too. I personally do not think chair pads work. Excited to see the room transform. Love the rug!

jpmom thanked Beth Mallon
  • jpmom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. I actually can't believe I hadn't thought of using that rug in there before.

bmallon - I wasn't sure if the sideboard was too fru-fru with the flowers and all. I have some ideas, so I run them by you all when I get the chance.

I'm feeling pretty good about the chair pads too. It's funny, but with the old oriental rug, they seemed off to me - but with this one, they really do work!

I'm thrilled.