Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skw27

Construction loan

skw27
8 years ago

I'm supposed to close on a construction loan later this afternoon. Late yesterday I found out that the lender is planning on charging us principal on the full amount of the construction loan from the very beginning and then interest once draws begin, using my cash first. This wasn't my impression of how it would work and is contrary to anything I've ever learned about any typical construction loan where interest only is charged during construction on draws, no principal. I should add that we are also refinancing the loan on the land that we've had for the past year and a half for the intended construction. So we'll be paying principal and interest on the land as well as principal and eventually interest on the construction. Has anyone ever heard of paying interest on the full amount of the construction from the beginning? It's just so crazy that this is now being communicated to me differently than it was originally not even 24 hours before we're supposed to close.

Comments (10)

• weedyacres
    8 years ago

Did you find this out via a conversation with someone or by reviewing the loan documents?

BTW, you might go back and edit your post for the confusing language ("charging us principal on the full amount"). You aren't charged principal, you're charged interest on the principal.

• skw27
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There's nothing wrong with my language, weedyacres...that's why I was confused though because this method is not typical, like ncrealestateguy said. I've done a construction loan before, I've also researched a ton and I know how they *usually* work. We are actually being going to be paying PRINCIPAL on the full amount of the loan we're taking- land plus cost of construction before any draws occur. Then obviously after the draws begin we'll be paying interest on the draws. I guess the advantage is that we're paying a chunk of principal during construction instead of throwing only interest out the window. It was just super unusual to me and I wanted to see if anyone had heard of it. I tried to get the loan documents in advance and didn't see them until today at closing.

• bry911
    8 years ago

I think I am probably too late to be of any real help, but many companies do installment rather than interest only loans. While I agree it is not the industry standard for construction loans it is not unheard of either. One of the three banks we looked at did regular installment loans

• User
    8 years ago

Could it be because you're financing the land too? Or is that with another lender? In that case it would be considered more of a "normal" mortgage where you pay towards principle too.

In the 3 houses we've built, the land was always fully paid for before construction began and was never part of the loan.

• skw27
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks bry911 and Christopher_H...it must be because we're refinancing the land with them (yes, same lender). The whole thing has been very unconventional dealing with 70 acres of farmland.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm with weedyacres, how do they charge you principle? Do you send them a periodic check?

• skw27
    Original Author
    8 years ago

SaltiDawg, yes I begin paying principal beginning April 1st on the full amount of the land and the anticipated construction cost. Way different than any way I've ever seen.

• weedyacres
    8 years ago

Let me attempt a rephrasing, and let me know if this is accurate:

You are only paying interest on the draws that you make plus the value of the land that you've refi-d into this.

You have to start repaying principal at some rate before the construction is complete. i.e., it's not an interest-only loan.

If this is correct, then this does sound odd. How much principal is paid each month, and does this go up as you draw more construction funds? I'm curious at the details as to how it's structured. A fully amortized land loan plus interest-only on draws?

• ncrealestateguy
    8 years ago

All of the OP's answers will be located in their loan docs.