Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alouwomack

Backsplash suggestions anyone?

alouwomack
8 years ago

I bought my 960-ish sq/ft house with the kitchen “as-is" shown in my pics--aside from the wall color, which I painted. (Before it was painted a rusty orange/red.) I hope to keep this transformation as simple as possible. I only wish to make a few other changes; in fact, I've already made a few choices--but I am stumped on how to approach the backsplash. To provide a summary thus far: I have butcher block countertops ordered (in Builder Oak from Lumber Liquidators) that I plan to stain fairly dark (exact stain not chosen yet). I have also ordered a drop-in double basin ceramic sink in classic white to replace the stainless steel single basin sink. I am not changing the cabinet finish / hardware and I am also keeping the current sink faucet.

I do not want to use a strip of the butcher block as a backsplash . . . nor do I want to install tile from the countertop to the ceiling to floor! I am hoping to do a simple row of tile from the countertop to close to the bottom of my kitchen window at most . . . this is roughly a 12 inch gap.

Comments (67)

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Finstads Carpet One Thank you for your kind compliments!

I finally did a rough measurement and it is almost 30" from the countertop to the BOTTOM of the top cabinets (that are 30" from ceiling)! I have hung one small shelf that I do use for my favorite coffee cups and creamer/sugar. If I could find something I liked better I would probably trade it out for something with a deeper shelf for more usefulness. I am going to have extra butcher block so maybe I could make my own and then buy decorative brackets . . .

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought I'd check in this morning and share my progress . . . my mom and I have been working the last 2 days.

Before we took the old sink and countertops out:

The oven was very difficult to remove!

Thankfully the countertops came off so easily . . .

And we have managed to rough cut the countertops below the window (including the sink hole) . . .

^^^^^ The island had 3 layers: plywood, hardy backer board, and tile. We left the plywood in place. I plan on trimming it to the edges of the cabinet and using it as a platform to install the butcher block.

And yes, I am going to get rid of the brown paint on the walls! I can't stand to leave it--knowing that a lighter color would work better. I'm thinking maybe a light green or blue. The cabinets are staying as is though . . . I am in too deep already! I figure I'll paint them later on.

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am still researching tile but I keep coming back to this cobblestone subway tile that I found on wayfair.com. I love the simplicity of it. The stones are 2x4 so it would make an easy fit for my dimensions . . . stopping at the bottom of my window is roughly 11 inches.

• shiningautumn8
    8 years ago
    I love that white tile. Im glad you opened yourself up to painting over the brown. People here give all sorts of advice and iften its not what you asked for but is in fact what would help the space. That will make a world of difference as the brown boxed you in and frankly it was dark. Have you considered just removing the island cabinets that just hang down awkwardly? It would give you a mich more open airy current look. You could then install a sole vent hood just over the stove
    alouwomack thanked shiningautumn8
  • WishICouldAffordThat
    8 years ago

I like the tile you are considering; it has a casual look without being too busy. Good job. And, I am impressed with your countertop work. We did our own countertops last year, and it's not all that easy, so - good job. Be sure to post pictures of the final installation!

alouwomack thanked WishICouldAffordThat
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Shiningautumn8, thank you for your input. I was never in love with the brown so I can let it go pretty easily! And painting is not an uncommon activity for me anyhow.
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The overhead cabinets above the island are kind of awkward but I do use the much needed storage. I'd hate to give up any cabinet space. Thankfully they are hung at a high enough level I can conversate easily with my company in the dining and living areas...
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Wish! I just finished cutting the island top about an hour ago. So far so good. I will post my progress for sure.
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here's a few more pics of my progress . . . I'm going to do my first layer of Waterlox later today. In the meanwhile, it is time for paint samples to go up. And I am going crazy looking at the cabinets! They are begging for paint too!!!

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Murphy's Design
    8 years ago

Have you thought of using Annie sloan paint for the cabinets-they have a french linen shade that would cover and I think would work with your beautiful counters-(so hard to tell the true tone in computer pics) . It is the easiest way (in my opinion to paint cabinets)Please wait on the tile until the cabinet decision is made and wait on paint until the cabinet decision is made-you will have thousands of wall paint and tile options to choose from once that decision is made. The whit tile is beautiful but you may choose a slightly different shade of white depnding on the cabinet color.

looks like you are headed in the right direction. Cabinet color first though!

alouwomack thanked Murphy's Design
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will look up the Annie sloan paint. I've never heard of it before now.

• risastacy
    8 years ago

I love the butcher block!

alouwomack thanked risastacy
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is hard to show the true countertop color in pictures. The stain is very close to a walnut . . . very brown without any hints of red.

• rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    Great job!
    alouwomack thanked rocketjcat
  • Kathi Steele
    8 years ago

Looking great!!

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I've been researching the Annie Sloan French Linen. I love the color. I found what I think is a similar shade in Ralph Lauren called Forde Abbey. Any thoughts? I bought a sample but it's too soon to say...I've been priming over the brown walls and it's like a weird rainbow in there. Pictures would be useless!
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Well I just put down the last coat of Waterlox!!! Woohoo! In 7-10 days I'll have a sink and stove again. I'm so ready. I have painted the upper cabinets and walls in between coats of Waterlox. I also bought the white tile I posted previously!
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ...and I installed the pendant light over the sink...
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It's already much lighter and brighter in here. I'm thankful for all the suggestions despite my initial reluctance!
  • timelesstula
    8 years ago

That is looking great....the uppers look great and the wall color is so much lighter and fresh!

alouwomack thanked timelesstula
  • Kathi Steele
    8 years ago

Woohoo!! Congratulations! It looks great! Keep us posted.

alouwomack thanked Kathi Steele
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Woohoo! I have a working oven . . . and a sink that will be useful soon! ((Plumbing is not quite finished yet.))

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice along the way! Backsplash is coming soon . . . after I finish painting all the cabinets.

• amazon421
    8 years ago

What color did you end up with for the walls? It's looking really great. What a huge difference.

alouwomack thanked amazon421
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is Sherwin Williams . . . called Aloe.

Thank you! I'm loving the light, airy feeling in there.

• texasboykin
    8 years ago
    Job well done!!! Your counters look fantastic!!! I love it when a DIY job comes together like yours. Can't wait to see your backsplash!
    alouwomack thanked texasboykin
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much Texas! I'm so ready to see it too!

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Just thought thought I would add a few current pics. I still have not done the backsplash but everything else is FINISHED!!! No more painting cabinets or finishing trim. Woohoo!!!

I'm borrowing my cousin's tile saw tomorrow to get started on the backsplash.
  • pleballerina
    7 years ago

Awesome job on the cabinets and countertops-they look great!

alouwomack thanked pleballerina
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

Very nice indeed. Any idea of the dollar amount you saved by doing it yourself? Please post when backsplash is finished.

alouwomack thanked emmarene9
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Wow!! Looks great. Thank you for the update. Post as tiling goes up!!

alouwomack thanked Kathi Steele
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Emmarene, it's been several months since I purchased the countertops. I bought them via Lumber Liquidator's. I have no idea what labor would've cost me? I spent less than $600 for the countertops plus $50ish for the sealant. The sealant was a real pain but is proving to be worth it so far.
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Well......it isn't finished but I'm taking a break and thought I'd share a quick pic. I'm slowly getting there.
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Slow and steady wins the race!! It looks very nice!!

• pleballerina
    7 years ago
    It's going to be so pretty when you're done-great job!
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I am getting close to being finished with tiling the backsplash...hopefully by tonight. I have a question for anyone whom might want to give advice:
    How do I approach the bottom of the tile where it meets the butcher block countertop (water-sealed) as far as grout/caulk goes? Do I grout that area just like the rest and then add caulk? Or caulk only?
  • pleballerina
    7 years ago
    My contractor used waterproof, flexible silicone caulk between my countertop and backsplash.
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I guess I would apply that after I grout all the other spaces?
  • pleballerina
    7 years ago
    Yes-sorry for not clarifying...the caulk would be last along the line between the counter and backsplash; grout all other spaces, and no grout under the caulk :)
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your input pleballerina! I really appreciate it.
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm undecided on grout color. Anyone care to share opinions on that?
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Grout should match the tile unless you want each individual tile to stand out and become another pattern in the kitchen.

• pleballerina
    7 years ago
    I second what Kathi said-I'd match the tile.
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm going with all white...I'm loving it. Thank you for your input. I felt like it was the right way to go but I needed some reassurance.
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Looks awesome!!

• cathihc
    7 years ago
    Really beautiful transition, congratulations!
  • alouwomack
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's the latest.....
  • pleballerina
    7 years ago

That looks so nice!! Great job :)

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Good job!! Looks nice.