Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mira7

Arranging the furniture in a rectangular open plan living room

mira7
8 years ago

I took some photos of the unit from the net when it was empty. So, the floor tiles are exactly like the kitchen floor.. The first photo is where the kitchen and the back garden is. The third photo where the balcony and front part of the unit. Your help will be deeply appreciated.

Comments (209)

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The light blue rug is not very small for the dining but probably it is not the right size. I liked the darker carpet in the lounge with the new cushions. As you said i will set up the lounge and take some photos and share them with you. My loved ones in the house started complaining because I haven't arranged the lounge yet:)))

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Btw, If I put the lounge chairs (TV will be put in front of the window as well ) like in the photo. There is no place to put the small arm chairs.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

I thnk you need to incorporate some navy into the cushions to somehow relate to the rug. Here are some examples.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you k9arlene,

Those are very good price. ANy of them suitable ?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

Gosh, I think all of those pillows look great, Mira. The one in the first picture on the top right with the light blue flower in the middle and the big pillow in the lower picture would look best with the dining chairs, I think. But actually any of them would look good on the couch and chairs. The ones Arlene picked look super. The pillow with the spots on it that you already have could probably go in the lounge too, now that we're talking about patterns. .

I have to admit that the best use of your space is achieved when the TV is in the corner. If it's in the window you'll have the light in your eyes during the day, even with the blinds down. With the blinds up anyone looking in from the outside (if that's a possibility) will see the ugly back of the TV, and you're partially blocking the light from this window, and will have a hard time opening it if you want to. Blocking a window in my opinion is never a good idea. Is there a connection for the TV in the corner, the way you show the setup in the first picture where the room is furnished? If you remember I suggested that you put the couch under the window and the big chairs facing them so that you have an equal mass on both sides. You can put the couch and chairs partially on the rug, by the way. Then the two smaller chairs can face each other, one in front of the sliding door and the other on the dining room side. I'm sorry, but the TV in front of the window is going to bother viewers' eyes, and it just looks wrong.

mira7 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Or any of those ? Thanking you.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, Ingrid, family didn't like the way I will put the TV either.They said they cant watch TV like that. It started to stressing me so much.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Mira, I think any of the first grouping you posted would be great in the lounge. Just select the pattern that you like the best. I think they all work. Do you really need cushions on the dining chairs? Who is going to seem them when the chairs are pushed under the table? I don't know what you didn't like about your original furniture arrangement, but I agree with Ingrid that the tv seemed to work best in the corner.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You mean those ones k9arlene?

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

k9arlene, No , I dont need a cushion on the dining chair. I put it on the dining chair just to show the color of the cushion. Because my lights seem bad.

And Yes, The TV has to go to the corner.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Yes, those are the cushions. The navy works with your rug.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
    8 years ago

Mira, the second set of cushions that you posted that have mostly rounded shell-like patterns are really pretty too. Any of them in both groups are fine, and I suggest that you pick the ones you love the most out of any of them. It's your home, and taste is a very individual thing. Pick what makes you feel happy and energized. That's what decorating is all about. You're on the right track now with what you've shown so feel free to choose what appeals to you personally.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Ingrid.

All the cushions I tried up now, I felt that cotton ones don't look nice on my sofa. It looks kinda cheap.We paid quite a bit money for the lounge suit. So it is a very good quality and the material of the sofa is soft. ( And Yes It is very huge for the lounge. But my husband and I love being comfortable when we watch TV. Our son generally watches TV in his room)

I agree with colors but not the material I bought. It is my bad.But I am learning:)

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will have to go back and arrange the furniture how we were comfortable before.

I will buy different material cushions of turquoise, navy, rust or peach.

Maybe you can help me with the decorating the coffee table, console table and the bits and pieces.

Thank you sooo much to you all.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Mira, what sites are you looking at for cushions? How much do you want to spend? Maybe we could help you find some. Perhaps you'd like velvet cushions. I would stay away from the turquoise as I don't think it works with your navy rug.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am confused now :)) I thought turquoise was good.

Well, the best thing is I will take photos and show you how I arranged the lounge and we will take it from there. Thanks heaps k9arlene.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

I think Ingrid and I just have a differenc of opinion, that's all. She thought turquoise worked and I feel you'd be better off looking for colors that are in your rug to have a cohesive look.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Probably, 2 solid navy elegant cushions will do for the sofa with a nice throw.

Or 2 solid navy and 1 rust color with the throw.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

You can't go wrong with those choices.

8 years ago

Mira, I think Arlene is right about the color of the cushions. I never really saw the true colors of the rug and now that I have the blue makes more sense. Just follow Arlene's suggestions above, and I also thought when you said that cotton didn't look good that something like velvet would give the right texture. It will have a rich look.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I m ın one of the store ı lıke lots. Found very good qualıty cushıons put them on of theır sofas smılar color to mıne. What do you thınk?
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Another one
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

All of them are very pretty and rich looking. How many do you plan to get?

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I want to get 2 solıd blue for the start. Not sure for the other one ?
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I lıked those too
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I lıked all . The throw ıs mıne.
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

I like the rust one with the flower to go with the solid ones. I don't like 3 solid ones together. I think your throw looks great with them.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • k9arlene
    8 years ago

The navy and beige print cushion also looks great. I can't decide.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
    8 years ago

You've picked some beauties, Mira! You're rocking it now. Love that throw, it seems to go with almost everything. I like the first and last pictures best. Definitely the dark blue ones I think and maybe two of the rust colored ones to liven up things. I'm getting pretty excited about the way this is going!

8 years ago

Maybe it would be a good idea to take home the navy and beige print and the rust colored pillow and see which looks best. I would take the dark blue ones for sure. You need some solid colors, I think.

8 years ago

After looking at some pictures of rooms with beige couches, I'm thinking now that the rust colored pillows should not be solid, although the one you showed with the flower didn't appeal to me. Is there anything else in that color that you can maybe find online, say rust and beige in a pattern to go along with the two solid blue pillows?

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you ladies. I purchased 2 solid navy one. And it looks really nice on my sofa. They were very expensive for me $79 each. It seemed like Either you buy quality stuff or you buy nothing. I also found a very pretty cushion to go with the navy. I liked it but please let me know your opinion.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So, I bought 3 of them.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have 3 table table lamps at home.. I thought that I could change the lamp shade. Buy a an elegant lamp shade. I might get away with the base.

As for the decorating the rest of the room. What color I will use?

Like on the new glass coffee table?

I will open a new advice page for my entry. I found a carpet. I thought it would look good.

8 years ago

The flowered pillow is very pretty, no doubt. I gather that means you won't be buying the orange cushions. My goodness, those pillows are expensive! I hope you really enjoy them.

8 years ago

Looks like we posted at the same time, Mira. Good idea to open a new post since we're talking about several more things here.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Ingrid, I am not a fan of orange really. That color doesn't make me happy :)

Yes, the cushions are expensive but no point using on an expensive sofa cheap cushions. It really doesn't look good.

I did that in the past as you saw my cushions before.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually, I wanted to buy the middle one as well.It was just beautiful. I didn't want to pay another $79. I will follow their specials thou. Sometimes they are on sale.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So hard to please everyone. My husband asked me not to put the wooden table in the garage because there is no place to put it upstairs. He says the wooden table is an expensive one. why throw it in the garage.

I bought a glass table for the lounge. what am I going to do now!

He tells me to make two living parts and use both of the coffee tables :)) Goodness me ! :)

Now I have two coffee tables. What am I going to do now ?

8 years ago

Can you still return the glass one? That would probably be the best solution. Always a good idea to talk things over with your partner before any major purchase. I feel badly that we may have encouraged you to make some purchases that weren't advisable.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, I don't want to return the glass one. Yes, I talked to him before buying it. Probably he didn't pay enough attention what I said to him.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did this online. I am not good at it. I just wanted to show you how I am planning to arrange the furniture's in the lounge. What do you think?

\

Btw, there is enough space in the lounge to make two. The problem is the width. Not the lenght.

8 years ago

In the first scheme the TV is in the wrong place again. Can we stick to the old plan of the TV in the corner with the couch and big chairs there? Then put the console, glass coffee table and two small chairs between that group and the dining table. If there's not enough room place the smaller chairs on either side of the glass table and forget the smaller table if the room isn't wide enough there.

• k9arlene
    8 years ago

Mira, I really like plan #1. You'll have 2 nice conversation areas. I thnk you're making great progress. Ingrid, plan#1 does not place the tv in front of the window in case you thought it was.

mira7 thanked k9arlene
  • mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In the first scheme, there is no TV. There is a console table.

In the middle there is TV and 2 recliners. And I think it is the best way to go too, K9arlene.

I didn't like plan 2 either :)

I am sorry Ingrid. Please don't get me wrong.

but I believe PLan 1 will work better.

8 years ago

Not a problem, Mira. It's your home and you have to do what is right for you and makes you happy. Apparently I've misunderstood the placement of the TV. I'm sure it will all be fine.

• mira7
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much ladies. You have been a great support for me.