Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herii

Ideas for coffee table

herii
8 years ago

Can you please post picture of a coffee table you think would look best in this room? Thanks in advance.

Comments (39)

• Rina
    8 years ago

This would be interesting. You need to break the predictability that is developing of solid black. The wood colour might not work against your floor, but if you had, for instance, a big cream or bold-coloured (not patterned) rug, that would be fine

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Furniture-of-America-Colegate-Light-Oak-Industrial-Coffee-Table/9683755/product.html?refccid=DOMOXRWOEW7KSOKPTKP36DQCDM&searchidx=102

• Rina
    8 years ago

Okay, maybe it's not black. Maybe it's espresso. But you get my meaning, I'm sure.

• Rina
    8 years ago

I was also thinking metal (of the shiny kind), glass, marble ......

herii thanked Rina
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Lirash
    8 years ago
    Hello,

Looking at the interior of the room, with dark colours, and the space you have available, a rectangular table would be a good fit. This table will project great appeal if placed in your room. It has a dark metal frame with a detailed design on the edge, finished with a glass top. More Coffee Tables can be found on our page and on our website https://www.lirash.com.au/product/black-iron-coffee-table/.

Kind Regards,
    Lirash - the wrought iron gallery
    herii thanked Lirash
  • herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Would something like this look good?

• User
    8 years ago

Make it a statement;)

Sprockets Cocktail Table · More Info

Bruce Hammered Steel Round Cocktail table · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Two black leather sofas and black floors - you need relief from the leather and darkness. I'd put a rustic piece here for interest and to break up the sameness.

herii thanked User
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    8 years ago

"This is a man's world!" ;)

Engine Block Coffee Table, Vibrant Chrome · More Info

looks like bachelor pad galore to me, this engine base will do!

• PRO
    herii thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all and please get serious. =) I'm in serious need of help here. I purchased and returned two coffee tables so far, and I can't loose any more money on the 10-30% restocking fee that stores deduct.

This is a family room and we have two school age kids. Anyways, I'm more into transitional interior design style. Any more suggestions for the coffee table? Would rectangular glass one, like tanner from pottery barn look okay?

• PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    8 years ago

You know in that case, I would look into a cocktail ottoman instead. more functional and you can alway keep a tray on it, and it's just softer, more comfy, versatile..

Blythe Pony Bench · More Info

herii thanked Aggie dba Aggie Designs
  • LouieT
    8 years ago

With glass there is the cleaning that goes with that & two school age children so might be hard to keep it looking shiny. What about this style to add white in to the dark furniture mix?

Josef Retro Lacquer Floating Top Coffee Table, Dark Brown · More Info

herii thanked LouieT
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    8 years ago

plus you can always have end tables to put a drink and remotes on. I have this at my apartment and I love it.

http://www.wayfair.com/Yield-End-Table-VKGL2462-VKGL2462.html

West Elm Has Adorable ones

Martini Side Table, Silver · More Info

herii thanked Aggie dba Aggie Designs
  • herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for all suggestions. Very helpful.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Do you plan on adding a rug? Because if you do, that might change the calculus on the table. The one you posted four hours ago looks good. A reclaimed wood table would look good and help relieve some of the dark. And I love the table Lirash posted 10 hours ago.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

You could defy expectations with something like this:

Clover Coffee Table | west elm · More Info

herii thanked groveraxle
  • herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I definitely will be adding a rug. I'm in the process of finding something I like. Since that's gonna take some time, I figured I'll get a table, since we need it. Tired of putting things on the floor. (don't even have side tables yet).

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Can we talk you into lowering your TV? Ideally the center of the screen should be eye level. It will look better and your neck will appreciate it, too.

• herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

haha. I know I know. I had a post about decorating this family room and many people commented that. I'm still debating, because although it looks really high on the picture, in reality it's comfortable to watch while sitting on the sofa. And I also watch TV when I cook, and it's at perfect height for that too.

But, it does look better a bit lowered. I'll make that decision last. After I get coffee table, plants, rug and side table.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Tory Square Coffee Table | Crate and Barrel · More Info

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

herii thanked groveraxle
  • herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much. That helps a lot. And I think I like it better with the glass top coffee table.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I like the glass table too. And I really like that one; something about the base just seems to fit with your TV console.

If you like any of the rugs, they're all from cb2.com

herii thanked groveraxle
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Like the Tony Square glass table and I love the last rug Grover posted.

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 years ago

Here are some options from designs of ours.

Transitional Remodel · More Info

Asian Inspired Home · More Info

Lake House · More Info

herii thanked Nandina Home & Design
  • julesxoxo
    8 years ago
    Just something to think about regarding glass coffee tables. I have one that I HATE! It is hard to see, it disappears into the room and I walk into it all the time. I always have bruises on my shins because of it. Can't wait to get rid of mine.
  • herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Jules, quit cleaning the glass table and you'll be able to see it. ;-)

• PRO
    GONZALO DE SALAS
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Herii, as sculptor and high end modern furniture designer I hope I can give you some of my ideas. Have to say that I use glass tops for may tables as I conceive them as a way of creating a sculpture with functionality… Glass might have pros and cons that some other posts have pointed out, but as I see it glass top tables would be good to recommend you in your living room.

You have a not large space and you don't want it to be crowed with heavy looking tables.

Additonally , as I see it there area looks quite stark. I would recommend a modern table, with some visibility and personality , something that gives life to the space.

Also, I would recommend to put a rug underneath. It will help making the space warmer and will highlight the table. It is important yo create a contrast between the rug, the floor and the table foot.

Since all the colors in the area (sofas, tv and floor) are so dark I would recommend maybe something lighter.. maybe stainless steel.

Hope this ideas help!

Gonzalo De Salas

www.gonzalodesalas.com/en

gds@gonzalodesalas.com

herii thanked GONZALO DE SALAS
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    8 years ago

very cool!

• herii
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I finally got a rug.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Pull the rug under the sofas about a foot. You should have floor showing between the rug and the TV cabinet and between rug and wall. Look at how I've place the rug in this rendering:

herii thanked groveraxle
  • suezbell
    8 years ago

Instead of a coffee table, consider a large storage ottoman -- round or square -- with a top that flips to serve as a table top when needed. Any color you like.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81ZVfkKc2DL.SX355.jpg

herii thanked suezbell
  • lulu24_12
    8 years ago

Hi groveraxle, how do you insert items into the initial photo? Is it an app. Or a tool one can download? Thanks

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

lulu, I Photoshop them.

• lulu24_12
    8 years ago

thank you

• lulu24_12
    8 years ago

HI groveraxle:

I AM SEEKING ADVICE ON A PROJECT "NEED LIVING ROOM/ DINING ROOM ADVICE PLS.") (, IF IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK , WOULD YOU GO CHECK IT OUT AND DO YOUR THING (PHOTOSHOP) THE CHAIRS AND ART IN PLS. I PROBABLY COULD DO IT BUT WOULD TAKE FOREVER SINCE I AM NOT FAMILIOR WITH IT. IF NOT NO, I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP SO FAR. AND HAVE A GOOD DAY,SINSERELY ,LULU

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz