Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albert_135

What do you do if you start your tomato seedlings inside too early?

My wife has healthy bandywines that are 12 inches tall and they probably should not be transplanted outside until Apr 15 at the very earliest. I suggested she should lop off the top eight inches but she is new to this and has reservations - and I might be completely wrong. I vaguely remember my grandmother cutting off parts and rooting the cuttings.

Comments (13)

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

Yeah, long time till plant out. Normally you start seeds 6 to 8 weeks before hardening off/plant out. By then they could be 8" to 12".

Rooting cutting is an option. Also topping makes the plant grow bushy and it will slow it down.

To further slow down growth rate :

trim as much leaves as possible.

Keep the plant in coll temperature ( <<60F )

Feed and water minimally

Sey

Another OPTION: start new seeds right now.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Albert, do you have a basement with window wells? I have some tomatoes out in 1 gallon pots in my window wells that are doing terrific. I have a plastic cover over the window well and the temps in there were 50 degrees F when we had outdoor temps of 17 degrees. I will cover the window well cover with a blanket from now on during the night for added protection, but forgot last night. :)

Like Sey says, start new plants from seeds. I will start mine on April 1 to plant outside in mid to late May here.

Dave and Sey, I never knew about rooting cuttings from tomatoes. Cool!!! Thanks!

• User
    8 years ago

Here's a photo of my plants in the window well.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    8 years ago

You might put them in a cooler area as well. That will slow them down. Keep above 50F to keep them from stunting.

• mnwsgal
    8 years ago

If you have deep pots the plants can be repotted with just a few inches of plant left above the soil. They will make roots all along the stem part which is in the soil.

• fireduck
    8 years ago

Who says it is too early to plant out? haha. Sorry about that...but here in SoCal the fear of frost is in the rear view mirror. Don't hate me because I have great weather....

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

Ed, Thank you !!!

I am not worried about frost. Our historical averages for March :

High >> 54F ,,,, Low >>> 39F ,,,, percip. >>> 3.5"

Practically I can plant out now with some protection, but the plants wont grow much.

Come April and it will zoom up to 60F (hehe) and then I will start planting.

Sey

• User
    8 years ago

Fireduck, I mean no offense, but I wouldn't trade you for the world!! I love my four distinct seasons, and the anticipation of Spring. I love my long winter rest before the mad dash of my other three seasons. Mostly, I love all the challenges that go with it...like window well tomatoes, for instance. :)

To each his own. I'm glad we both like where we are.

• fireduck
    8 years ago

Sey...I know what you mean about early Spring slowwww growth. haha. Rebecca....no offense taken. I know folks always defend their homeland. I had a fellow vacationer get chippy with me last year about Socal and the earthquakes. haha. He loved his Houston, Tx....some of the worst weather there in the world! I just returned from Texas last month...and I'll tell you, there are some really fine folks that live there!

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    8 years ago

Rooting a cutting is a good way to go or.......just plant your large plant very deeply. Either straight down if the soil has warmed up for the season or lay the tomato plant sideways in a small shallow trench and cover with your garden soil. Roots will form all along the stem underground and give you a larger root system to support the plant better. I ALWAYS start tomatoes early and plant them deep. I have multiple light indoors to support their needs before I bring them outside though.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    Original Author
    8 years ago

disneynut1977-Melissa(5b, Sunset zone 42, CNY) ... .......just plant ... tomato plant sideways in a small shallow trench and cover
    with your garden soil. Roots will form all along the stem underground
    and give you a larger root system to support the plant better.

This seems to be working best. Thanks.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

Yes. Planting sideways AKA trenching is another way to deal with lanky plant. It should grow roots along the buried part.

Sey